MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Mar 2, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #1,546 of 2,583
I've just recently got in a few amps to try out with the AFO; Cavalli Tube Hybrid, Gilmore Lite mk2, Chord Mojo, and Grace m9xx. I'm still burning in CTH and Gilmore Lite, but initial impressions are great! Both really lift up the sound especially in the bottom end compared to the amp portion of the Grace m9XX or Chord Mojo.

Hope to hear more comparisons among them soon!

Mar 3, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #1,547 of 2,583
I'm looking for a tube amp and would like to hear about the CTH

Mar 3, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #1,550 of 2,583
That’s quite a good thing but I asked about the mojo pairing which is my amp and I never made any comparisons with other dacs.

Mar 3, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #1,551 of 2,583
How you AFO users “store” the headphone?

I don’t like the stock case because I’m against to remove the cables anyday, also, the stock case to me is too much small and I don’t feel good with my beloved Afo so compressed.

Do you know a good and large box that could be good for the Afo? Don’t necessarily a “travel” box, even something I can keep at home.

Mar 3, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #1,552 of 2,583
That’s quite a good thing but I asked about the mojo pairing which is my amp and I never made any comparisons with other dacs.

Oh, my apologies.

I usually use my AFO from a desktop amp, and use my Mojo with IEM's from bed.

But I just went to try it out. Results: From my desktop I'm squarely a black filter guy. From the Mojo, I needed to move to 1-notch. Still very good sound. With IEM's I'm used to a much lower volume on the Mojo. I imagine I would get less battery life at AFO levels, but it's definitely workable.

Mar 3, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #1,553 of 2,583
Oh, my apologies.

I usually use my AFO from a desktop amp, and use my Mojo with IEM's from bed.

But I just went to try it out. Results: From my desktop I'm squarely a black filter guy. From the Mojo, I needed to move to 1-notch. Still very good sound. With IEM's I'm used to a much lower volume on the Mojo. I imagine I would get less battery life at AFO levels, but it's definitely workable.

I also use the 1 notch with the Mojo.

Curiosity: why AFO only at desktop? At bed they are confortable.

Mar 3, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #1,554 of 2,583
Impressions so far:

Not gonna use Mojo and Grace m9xx amp portion with these; they sound great and I was perfectly content with both, but proper desktop amps bring these headphones up quite a bit.

Gilmore Lite mk 2 is the cleanest sound with the darkest background. Soundstage opens up nicely, which also helps with instrument separation, imaging, and microdetail. Bass tightens up and gains heft, leading to a more engaging experience with heightened PRAT factor.

CTH seems slightly grainier, but makes up for it for introducing a touch of tube warmth and a greater sense of tonal density. Technicalities seems to be a bit lower, but for some reason sounds overall a bit more coherent. AFO loves tubes, it seems.

I can't decide which one I like better so far. Guess I'll just have to listen some more!

Mar 3, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #1,555 of 2,583
Impressions so far:

Not gonna use Mojo and Grace m9xx amp portion with these; they sound great and I was perfectly content with both, but proper desktop amps bring these headphones up quite a bit.

Gilmore Lite mk 2 is the cleanest sound with the darkest background. Soundstage opens up nicely, which also helps with instrument separation, imaging, and microdetail. Bass tightens up and gains heft, leading to a more engaging experience with heightened PRAT factor.

CTH seems slightly grainier, but makes up for it for introducing a touch of tube warmth and a greater sense of tonal density. Technicalities seems to be a bit lower, but for some reason sounds overall a bit more coherent. AFO loves tubes, it seems.

I can't decide which one I like better so far. Guess I'll just have to listen some more!

The CTH and EH tube should improve with burn in. You’ll probably find the grain disappears after 100 hours. I’m curious how the tube will sound settled in and the background.

Mar 4, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #1,556 of 2,583
Hey Dan- Any idea when this will be available? Ideally I would love to order the tuning set for my AFC and electrostat pads for my Ether Flows together.

This coming week.

I've just recently got in a few amps to try out with the AFO; Cavalli Tube Hybrid, Gilmore Lite mk2, Chord Mojo, and Grace m9xx. I'm still burning in CTH and Gilmore Lite, but initial impressions are great! Both really lift up the sound especially in the bottom end compared to the amp portion of the Grace m9XX or Chord Mojo.

Great set of amps. The CTH goes with Magni 3 in the best value category, the Gilmore has a wonderful clarity on top without any spit and sizzle. I have the CTH and G mk2 in my tuning stack and use them often.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 4, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #1,558 of 2,583
Because if I fall asleep and start rolling around, I don't want to risk messing up an $800 headphone!!
I second this one! Although I must admit that the AFO are very comfortable to wear, in fact, if somehow they could be bluetooth with a miniature adapter/amp on each side, they’d be my walk home headphone

Mar 4, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #1,559 of 2,583
I just started using it out of the Massdrop Liquid Carbon X. Black filter. FAN - f'g - TASTIC!

That what I've been doing for the past two days what a great sounding amp, I'm back to using no filters..enjoy

Mar 5, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #1,560 of 2,583
Because if I fall asleep and start rolling around, I don't want to risk messing up an $800 headphone!!

I fall asleep with them on at home and traveling all the time, you won't hurt the headphone unless your pillows are concrete, then all bets are off... :dt880smile:

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back