MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Dec 7, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #841 of 2,583
dan , could you make a comparison between EFO and AFO? tyll said that AFO sounds better to him, i'd like to hear your opinion..

Good question, Im curious too.

BTW, Aeons are more Sennheiser-like than new Sennheisers themselves!

20171206_212820.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #842 of 2,583
The AFO vs EFO sound is fairly different. EFO offers a more classic "audiophile" sound, as I'd describe it, with more energy in the 3-5K region for a brighter upper midrange. It has a larger soundstage, and probably a bit more sub-bass, while the AFO is a more forgiving and easy sound, with more overall bass impact.

I happen to not feel AFO has a "small" soundstage. I don't know exactly how everyone views this, but I view it as the distance from the front to the back of the soundstage. AFO is a bit "closer" in front, but nearly as deep. I am guessing that many people perceive or describe soundstage based on how close to the front the vocals/1st layer of instruments are, whereas I tend to consider the farthest objects. I suspect this may be why some people find the soundstage "close" while others hear it as deep. For this reason, I think most people will find the EFO to have the larger soundstage, but IMHO that's not going to be a universal conclusion.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 8, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #843 of 2,583
The AFO vs EFO sound is fairly different. EFO offers a more classic "audiophile" sound, as I'd describe it, with more energy in the 3-5K region for a brighter upper midrange. It has a larger soundstage, and probably a bit more sub-bass, while the AFO is a more forgiving and easy sound, with more overall bass impact.

I happen to not feel AFO has a "small" soundstage. I don't know exactly how everyone views this, but I view it as the distance from the front to the back of the soundstage. AFO is a bit "closer" in front, but nearly as deep. I am guessing that many people perceive or describe soundstage based on how close to the front the vocals/1st layer of instruments are, whereas I tend to consider the farthest objects. I suspect this may be why some people find the soundstage "close" while others hear it as deep. For this reason, I think most people will find the EFO to have the larger soundstage, but IMHO that's not going to be a universal conclusion.

There's also the confusion between soundstage and "air", where the perceived distance of tones isn't contributing much to the assessment.

Dec 8, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #844 of 2,583
I don't think I've seen "air" confused with soundstage. Air is an attribute of clarity and "dark space" around the highs that give the sense of shimmer to cymbals, for example. The Stereophile reference definition for "Airy" is:

Pertaining to treble which sounds light, delicate, open, and seemingly unrestricted in upper extension. A quality of reproducing systems having very smooth and very extended HF response.

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/sounds-audio-glossary-glossary#YGBLUgoFS3TH3OTu.99

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 8, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #845 of 2,583
Here's a copy of the AEON Flow Open/Closed award (both models won high-value headphone)...

From the footnote I can assume a good review is pending!

HIFI+154 Awards_HeadphoneHV_MrSpeakers_LR.jpg

Dec 8, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #846 of 2,583
There's also the confusion between soundstage and "air", where the perceived distance of tones isn't contributing much to the assessment.

I don't think I've seen "air" confused with soundstage. Air is an attribute of clarity and "dark space" around the highs that give the sense of shimmer to cymbals, for example. The Stereophile reference definition for "Airy" is:

Pertaining to treble which sounds light, delicate, open, and seemingly unrestricted in upper extension. A quality of reproducing systems having very smooth and very extended HF response.

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/sounds-audio-glossary-glossary#YGBLUgoFS3TH3OTu.99

I think you're right Dan (no surprise there) but I do here a lot of people also using 'air' when describing the 'openness' of the drivers, which is of course different than airy treble. I think we often misuse/assume the meaning of phrases. Describing sound is NOT easy (IMO).

Dec 8, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #847 of 2,583
For certain. For anyone wanting to achieve max clarity in descriptions the Stereophile guide is great...

Dec 8, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #848 of 2,583
Even if one was to argue the AFO soundstage is 'too small', I would point out that the AFO handles separation remarkably well. I never get the sense of sounds clashing or cancelling each other out that other headphones seem to do in varying degrees. There's so much action coming out of those little drivers, but its controlled. The only headphone I've heard with separation as good was the LCD-X.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #850 of 2,583
@MTMECraig Hugo2?! That’s my dream setup with my Aeon Open & Closed. A bit out of my price range but maybe one day... Currently rocking the Schiit Mimby & Jotunheim. Which Hugo 2 filter do you find you enjoy the most while listening to the Aeons?

Dec 8, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #851 of 2,583
@MTMECraig Hugo2?! That’s my dream setup with my Aeon Open & Closed. A bit out of my price range but maybe one day... Currently rocking the Schiit Mimby & Jotunheim. Which Hugo 2 filter do you find you enjoy the most while listening to the Aeons?
You know what I have yet to mess with the filters yet! I was going “white lights” across the board (filter light and crossfeed). I play around with the filters probably tomrorow. Good call though, thank you for reminding me of them ha.

I was messing with all them in regards to the Utopia but I should play with the filter settings with the AFO/AFC as well. Curious to see how the mojo filter fairs with the AFO without any notches :wink:.

TONS of options when It comes to pairing the Hugo 2 with the AFO, and AFC.

Dec 8, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #852 of 2,583
I happen to view a large soundstage by the furthest sounding instruments or ambient cues in a recording as well, not just by how far or close the most intimate cues are. By that token, I don't find much depth in the Aeon Open, which is weird, because I've found nearly all planars I've listen to to excel in depth. It's the one thing that prevents the Aeon Open from sounding truly lifelike with acoustic recordings.

I've found that with headphones, the less damped they are, the better their soundstage. The Aeon Flow feels too damped. However, its damping scheme is also probably why it has such a good frequency balance. Getting a headphone with the ergonomics and frequency response of the Aeon Open while resulting in very minimum damping schemes aka Hifiman is the promised land.

I also want to add that I whole hardheartedly agree Dan's assertion that-- soundstage being largely a psyocoacoustic phenomenon-- is very much affected by the Aeon Flow's attenuation of extreme upper frequencies due to the seal of its pads. When people are free to experience unhindered high frequency from the surrounding air and environment, it creates a more natural and open, and even larger soundstage experience from the headphones.

None of this is to say the Aeon Flow is a claustrophobic sounding headphone (if it was I wouldn't be able to stand it.) However, it is not the same holographic experience compared to Hifiman and especially the Sennheiser HD800.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #853 of 2,583
I happen to view a large soundstage by the furthest sounding instruments or ambient cues in a recording as well, not just by how far or close the most intimate cues are. By that token, I don't find much depth in the Aeon Open, which is weird, because I've found nearly all planars I've listen to to excel in depth. It's the one thing that prevents the Aeon Open from sounding truly lifelike with acoustic recordings.

I've found that with headphones, the less damped they are, the better their soundstage. The Aeon Flow feels too damped. However, its damping scheme is also probably why it has such a good frequency balance. Getting a headphone with the ergonomics and frequency response of the Aeon Open while resulting in very minimum damping schemes aka Hifiman is the promised land.

I guess your view is somewhat aligned with Tyll's review, though he gives his own observation.

Quote from Tyll-----
it has quite a bit more isolation than most other open headphones. So much so that I'm tempted to call it a semi-open headphone....
The Aeon Flow Open does provide a little isolation barrier between you and the acoustic space around you, which tends, to my ears, make the depth of image seem a little less than if it were a fully open headphone. None the less, the Aeon Flow Open delivers an image of very comfortable width and depth.
Read more at https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...agnetic-headphones-page-2#R7W3q7OCrjjQrfwd.99

Users who are viewing this thread

Back