MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Oct 22, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #226 of 2,583
I've never heard the HD650s sound warm or dark either. They've always been some of the most remarkably balanced headhpones I've tried. Plenty of energy and bite in the upper midrange-lower treble that balances out the mid-bass.

However I've never heard the HD650s on a tube amp.

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #227 of 2,583
I would like to ask Mr Speakers why there is no option for a Aeon Open to come with a 4-pin XLR cable . On his website there is no option for cable choice. Since this is a open headphone, I would imagine most would use it at home with a amp like the Jotunheim.

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #229 of 2,583
I’m trying to get a “feel” for the low end extension and bass response of the AFO?
Any comments from the people that have heard the AFO would be appreciated.

it would take quite a time to evaluate the sound signature of AFO more accurately. I found that the bass response of ECF was quite a bit bloated initially, but it had been gradually dampened over 200+ break-in period. I think the same thing might apply to AFO as well. I wonder what kinds of sound I would hear after 100+ break-in

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #230 of 2,583
it would take quite a time to evaluate the sound signature of AFO more accurately. I found that the bass response of ECF was quite a bit bloated initially, but it had been gradually dampened over 200+ break-in period. I think the same thing might apply to AFO as well. I wonder what kinds of sound I would hear after 100+ break-in

How do you compare the two? Efc vs afo

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #231 of 2,583
I'd be willing to bet they just have not updated the site yet. I would email them and ask for that option.
There is also a typo in the description area about the cables. (...OR and XLR...???)
I would like to ask Mr Speakers why there is no option for a Aeon Open to come with a 4-pin XLR cable . On his website there is no option for cable choice. Since this is a open headphone, I would imagine most would use it at home with a amp like the Jotunheim.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #232 of 2,583
Thank-you ... I guess that warmth might be because they are very new ? Look forward to your further thoughts .. no rush as I can't even see them for sale in Europe yet !
I am going to attribute the warmth to the iDSD BL which pairs beautifully with the AFC because it warms up the sound a little. When paired with the AFO, it makes it a little warm for my tastes. For me, the AFO seems to pair better with a more neutral amp that is a little cooler than the iDSD. I found that I really, really enjoy the AFO with the HA-2SE. The only downside to the Oppo is that the AFO definitely exposes the ESS glare which I don't mind with many headphones.
In my case, a lot of the warmth could be attributed to the iDSD but only time will tell if it will change with burn in.

Yay for the HA-2SE! That's what i'm using as well. What if you used the bass switch? With some headphones that does lessen the treble in my experience. Didn't notice much of a difference when i did it with the AFO, , but only suggesting since you mentioned treble being a bit to forward. Didn't even think about it earlier, but treble didn't bother me while i was listening.
I rarely bother with the bass switch on the Oppo as I really dislike it. The bass boost creeps up into the lower mids instead of just the bass; I doubt it would sound good to me with the AFO. When I have tried it in the past with other headphones, I didn't notice a change in the treble.
Maybe what you're hearing is more bass, which in turn makes the treble sound less forward because it doesn't stick out above everything as much.

Maybe a bit too forward isn't the right way to put it. It's not overwhelming or sibilant. I think it's more of the ESS glare that comes through on the AFO. It just makes the treble sound a little "off".

I've never heard the HD650s sound warm or dark either. They've always been some of the most remarkably balanced headhpones I've tried. Plenty of energy and bite in the upper midrange-lower treble that balances out the mid-bass.

However I've never heard the HD650s on a tube amp.
I'm going to agree that the HD650 have never sounded dark to me. I disagree in that I believe they do sound fairly warm to me. I think it's remarkable how similarly they sound to the HD600 when people tend to describe them like they're miles apart.

I’m trying to get a “feel” for the low end extension and bass response of the AFO?
Any comments from the people that have heard the AFO would be appreciated.
Right out of the box, the bass extension is very good. Slam and impact are not the strongest just because the frequency response starts to decline below 100HZ. See this post by MrSpeakers on page 3.

Oct 23, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #233 of 2,583
Thank-you for your thoughts @Schwibbles ... most interesting & useful.

Oct 23, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #234 of 2,583
Stream of Consciousness first impressions of Aeon Open:

-they attenuate the most amount of noise of any open planar I've heard-- moreso than Audezes. I attribute this to the incredible seal from the pads.
-earpads are stiffer than Aeon closed, leading to slightly more perceived clamp.
-placing my hands over their grills indicate that they aren't as open and sensitive as other open planars I've heard. Hiifman open planars are especially sensitive to frequency response changes when blocking their openings, but Aeon open changes only a little.
-upper-bass and lower midrange blossoms with full emphasis-- something which Aeon closed lacked.
-Aeon closed is shout-city in comparison to open. (by this I mean tinny emphasis in upper midrange-lower treble.)
-soundstage of Aeon open is not much larger than closed-- if not the same size. very intimate.
-tone generation of low bass tones indicates amazing extension-- some of the cleanest 30hz and 25hz tones I've heard. mild drop-off from 35 down to 30 down to 25, but very strong to 35.
-Aeon closed most likely gives the sensation of slightly deeper bass because it isn't getting as masked as much by the upper bass. Overall I'd say the Aeon Open has more bass and is a meatier sounding headphone. (testing using Trentemoller: The Mash and the Fury, Past the Beginning of the End, Moan.)

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #235 of 2,583
I am going to attribute the warmth to the iDSD BL which pairs beautifully with the AFC because it warms up the sound a little. When paired with the AFO, it makes it a little warm for my tastes. For me, the AFO seems to pair better with a more neutral amp that is a little cooler than the iDSD. I found that I really, really enjoy the AFO with the HA-2SE. The only downside to the Oppo is that the AFO definitely exposes the ESS glare which I don't mind with many headphones.
In my case, a lot of the warmth could be attributed to the iDSD but only time will tell if it will change with burn in.

I rarely bother with the bass switch on the Oppo as I really dislike it. The bass boost creeps up into the lower mids instead of just the bass; I doubt it would sound good to me with the AFO. When I have tried it in the past with other headphones, I didn't notice a change in the treble.
Maybe what you're hearing is more bass, which in turn makes the treble sound less forward because it doesn't stick out above everything as much.

Maybe a bit too forward isn't the right way to put it. It's not overwhelming or sibilant. I think it's more of the ESS glare that comes through on the AFO. It just makes the treble sound a little "off".

I'm going to agree that the HD650 have never sounded dark to me. I disagree in that I believe they do sound fairly warm to me. I think it's remarkable how similarly they sound to the HD600 when people tend to describe them like they're miles apart.

Right out of the box, the bass extension is very good. Slam and impact are not the strongest just because the frequency response starts to decline below 100HZ. See this post by MrSpeakers on page 3.

So if you could choose one, would it be AFC or AFO? Regardless of isolation

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #236 of 2,583

A comment on two things, and not to argue, just to add a bit of perspective. Of course, your early impressions are not in question at all, perhaps just the causes.

I don't find the BL to be warm, at least not enough so to cause my impressions of a set of phones to tend warm if they are not. The BL is slightly warmer than something like the HA-2SE (though I only have the original Ha-2, so that may have changed somewhat). I find the BL to be pretty neutral . But that just gives me perspective in interpreting your description.

As the roll off under 100 hz. If you look at the entire graph, response at 20 hz is about the same as it is at 1K. So there is a broad area for response that is elevated from around 30 to 400 hz. Anyway, slam and impact are the product of bass dynamics, or speed. Not necessarily frequency response. Of course if the response is down too much, dynamics will not be there because that can't be heard. I just don't think that ... based on the one graph, which Dan mentioned was the result of a hastily done set of tests in a relatively noisy environment.

Now way to dispute what you are perceiving, but I do question the conclusions that are drawn about the reasons that you mention for what you are hearing.

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #237 of 2,583
Just to confirm, I am finding the AFO to be warm as well. I would not pair this headphones with an already warm sounding amplifier. Still, I am digging the sound. Should be at or near 100 hours mark today.

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #238 of 2,583
I am pairing the AFO with a Jotunheim w/dac, which tends to be a brightish amp/dac. I like the AFO's tonal balance without any inserts. I'm not going to use the foam inserts because they're too thick. The 1 notch white felt inserts attenuate the upper midrange a little too much for my liking. Harmonic overtones of vocals become blunted in the mix.

Oct 23, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #240 of 2,583
I haven't heard the 560 in a couple years, but I do remember how they sound. I just wouldn't be able to do any detailed comparison.

HE-560 will have more emphasis on low bass. Its bass is very linear with no emphasis at the mid or upper bass, but still plenty full there.

HE-560 will have a dip around 2khz that AFO sorta has, but not as bad.

HE-560 will have a lot more emphasis around 4-6khz than AFO giving it more snappiness.

HE-560 has a larger soundstage.

I like the suspension strap of the HE-560 more as it is larger and distributes weight better. I never had a hotspot with the HE-560, but with either version of the Aeon, I will get a small warm spot over time. HE-560's earpads are big enough to surround your ear, but I like the ergonomically shaped pads of the Aeons better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back