MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Mar 1, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #2,206 of 2,583
Just tried this and the LCD MX4. Currently using 650’s.

Closed is v nice but I feel it doesn’t sound as expansive as open back. I am v tempted to buy the AFO..does it have more bass? Really have no complaints abt the Aeon Flow, it’s so comfortable, light and the finish is fantastic. Only thing I seek is more low end oomph for a more emotional listening experience.

I also will be buying a Magni 3 or THX789 (if it drops soon) to pair w my Mojo. Hopefully AFO can sound more emotional/engaging..

52876817_10219007581600859_7102448294814547968_o.jpg

53243762_10219007645362453_7113590475067490304_n.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #2,207 of 2,583
Just tried this and the LCD MX4. Currently using 650’s.

Closed is v nice but I feel it doesn’t sound as expansive as open back. I am v tempted to buy the AFO..does it have more bass? Really have no complaints abt the Aeon Flow, it’s so comfortable, light and the finish is fantastic. Only thing I seek is more low end oomph for a more emotional listening experience.

I also will be buying a Magni 3 or THX789 (if it drops soon) to pair w my Mojo. Hopefully AFO can sound more emotional/engaging..

52876817_10219007581600859_7102448294814547968_o.jpg

53243762_10219007645362453_7113590475067490304_n.jpg

The AFO's can reach low but there's sub bass roll off. Personally I find them engaging because the mids can really thump with authority but that may not be what you're looking for if what you want is sub bass. Although it has more sub bass than the HD650s.

Mar 4, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #2,209 of 2,583
I am looking for a cable for my AFO that make it sound a bit brighter with better treble extension. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

If the cable you have is free of, 1. Capacitance, 2. Inductance, and 3. EMI, changing it very likely be a complete and utter waste of money. It's the jewelry of audio, and 90% of people cannot tell cables apart in double blind, A/B/X type of listening test. Changing your amp might not even give you better treble extension.

Mar 4, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #2,210 of 2,583
Because you are asking the question, I suspect that you are looking for cables that will make a bigger difference than cables can make.
In my experience, when I have heard any difference in cables (infrequently) it is a very subtle change.
Maybe a parametric equalizer would be helpful.

Mar 4, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #2,211 of 2,583
I am looking for a cable for my AFO that make it sound a bit brighter with better treble extension. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Try high quality parametric eq software. AFO does have a healthy amount of treble. But it sounds dark because of its recession around 1.5k

Mar 4, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #2,212 of 2,583
Because you are asking the question, I suspect that you are looking for cables that will make a bigger difference than cables can make.
In my experience, when I have heard any difference in cables (infrequently) it is a very subtle change.
Maybe a parametric equalizer would be helpful.

I second that. I use a parametric EQ with both sets of headphones I have, to repair non linearities. In both cases, there was some improvement, but their signature sounds (quite different), are unchanged. Use Inner Fidelity frequency response curves as a baseline (Tyll's). They are available for that particular model.

Mar 4, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #2,213 of 2,583

I’m not going to make a brand recommendation but I’m happy to explain or suggest the type of cable product you’d be looking for. Typically on a planar a clad or blended metallurgy is what you would look for to get the result you are likely looking for. Silver on copper is common for headphone cable options.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Mar 5, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #2,215 of 2,583

Dacs and Amps can make a bigger difference, though cables can be a fine tune their effects tend to be more subtle. What are you using?

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 5, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #2,217 of 2,583
I'm using Hiby R3 and Mojo.

The Mojo is a very smooth DAC/Amp which has a clean top end. You can get more "sparkle" out of some DACs, but IMHO it's going to sound rather synthetic. If you want portable you probably won't get better than this... You might consider a WyWires Red, that's a Litz construction with great clarity.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 7, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #2,219 of 2,583
We have a limited number of B-Stock AEON open headphones at 15% off, with an option to upgrade to a VIVO cable at a significant savings. These are new in box with very minor cosmetic blemishes, there are only a few left. They can be ordered here:

Thanks for the headsup! I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought a pair. I have just have had 30 minutes to quickly listen to a few tracks, but I'm impressed!!! I have a very "midfi" setup in my office where I do most of my listening now a days. I do have a very nice (IMHO) speaker setup with Dynaudio C1s, SIMAudio amp, etc, but don't get the time to use it much anymore. I'm using an old Pioneer BDP-94HD (SACDs) and PC to play music to a CEntrance DACMini (Needed both headphone & speaker amp for the PC years ago). My old headphones (Sennheiser HD580) have served me VERY well for 10 years, but it was time for something different. I have a very eclectic mix of music, from classical to Metalica. I did a quick A/B with Carl Orff (Carmina Burana), Once Soundtrack, and brief Beethoven 9th Symphony. I have to say the vocals and instrumentals of the Once soundtrack really really impressed me! The depth to the guitar plucks are so much richer and fuller sounding than the HD580s. Amazing that they make the HD580s sound sterile! I can't imagine how the Ether C Flow sounds so much better than these... Impressive!

I might have to upgrade to a tube amp or something...lol

Mar 8, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #2,220 of 2,583
Thanks for the headsup! I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought a pair. I have just have had 30 minutes to quickly listen to a few tracks, but I'm impressed!!! I have a very "midfi" setup in my office where I do most of my listening now a days. I do have a very nice (IMHO) speaker setup with Dynaudio C1s, SIMAudio amp, etc, but don't get the time to use it much anymore. I'm using an old Pioneer BDP-94HD (SACDs) and PC to play music to a CEntrance DACMini (Needed both headphone & speaker amp for the PC years ago). My old headphones (Sennheiser HD580) have served me VERY well for 10 years, but it was time for something different. I have a very eclectic mix of music, from classical to Metalica. I did a quick A/B with Carl Orff (Carmina Burana), Once Soundtrack, and brief Beethoven 9th Symphony. I have to say the vocals and instrumentals of the Once soundtrack really really impressed me! The depth to the guitar plucks are so much richer and fuller sounding than the HD580s. Amazing that they make the HD580s sound sterile! I can't imagine how the Ether C Flow sounds so much better than these... Impressive!

I might have to upgrade to a tube amp or something...lol

Aeons definitely benefit from a good DAC and amp. The thing about the Aeons though is they are pretty low impedance and they like a lot of current. That makes most tube amps less than ideal. The exception is hybrid tube amps (combination tube and solid state to give a tube sound with solid state low impedance performance). That’s what I use (Schiit Lyr 3) and I love how it works with Aeons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back