MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Oct 13, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #2,056 of 2,583
So my AFOs showed up today and I’ve had a little time to listen to them. I now know why so many people on the Lyr3 thread have them.

In comparison to my AFCs they are more similar than different with a good tube amp. However, one surprising difference is how much the amp affects the sound of the AFOs. This was true with the AFCs, but with the AFOs the difference is significantly more dramatic. On my Schiit Modi 2U / Magni 3, the AFO treble is tizzy and unnatural, requiring the one notch white pad to tame to an acceptable but sub optimal level. The AFCs on the same dac / amp were better if a little dry with the black foam filter. The AFCs had a more balanced sound than the AFOs and If I only owned the Modi/ Magni, I would prefer the AFC for its clarity and natural sounding treble.

On the Topping D50 / Lyr 3, the AFOs using the same 1 notch attenuating pad sounded very different from how they sounded with the Magni /Modi. Think sound signature similar to the AFC but warmed up and served with a creamy dollop of butter. The overall profile is slightly dark with a small upper bass bump. Speaking of the bass: It’s clean and tight, wrapped in velvet, and can blow your mind with how well it supports the mids with texture and body. Dynamics are excellent. Compared to the AFC, the AFOs are more inviting and more enjoyable despite trading away a touch of detail.

Sound Isolation wise, I’d call these cans semi-open. They’re not as isolating as the AFCs, but quite a bit more than my wide open 400i Hifiman headphones. I regard this as a plus since I’ve really come to appreciate the benefits of isolation.

Overall, I really like how these cans sound on the Lyr 3 and will probably have more impressions after I spend some more time with them.

Glad you seem to be enjoying them! It was hard to let them go.

I agree that they simply don't work well out of the Magni. Play around with tubes as some will most certainly pair better with the AFO than others. The bass changed most significantly from tube to tube with some being a bit over the top for my tastes to the point of invading the mids and masking some detail. With the right tube, it can be pure magic.

Oct 13, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #2,057 of 2,583
Glad you seem to be enjoying them! It was hard to let them go.

I agree that they simply don't work well out of the Magni. Play around with tubes as some will most certainly pair better with the AFO than others. The bass changed most significantly from tube to tube with some being a bit over the top for my tastes to the point of invading the mids and masking some detail. With the right tube, it can be pure magic.

I’m really enjoying the sound Skyline. Tube wise I’ve only tried a Sylvania 1953 bad-boy two hole, which is one of my favorites with the AFC. Eventually I’ll see how they sound with other tubes, but right now I’m extremely pleased and don’t really feel the urge to swap out the Sylvania. I’m going to try them on my Fiio Q5 today and see how they do with that DAC / amp combo first.

Oct 13, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #2,058 of 2,583
So I tried the AFOs with my FIIO Q5 (balanced mode, low gain, no bass boost, Bluetooth AAC). My initial impressions are that treble is more present than the Lyr 3 but well controlled with plenty of sparkle and no harshness. Soundstage is smaller, bass is a little muddier and less impactful but that is what I would expect given the Q5 is a portable battery powered DAC amp and I was using Bluetooth. Truly, the difference is very small. I didn’t have high expectations given how the AFO really didn’t pair well with the Modi / Magni combo, but it sounds great with the Q5. Very natural sounding with maybe a little less bass, a little more treble sparkle, and a little less spaciousness, but remarkably forgiving of less than perfect playback source. It’s a good pairing. When compared to the AFCs on the Q5, I’d say the AFC sounds more neutral and a little more detailed, but it’s a toss up depending on the song / genre which I would prefer.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #2,059 of 2,583
So I tried the AFOs with my FIIO Q5 (balanced mode, low gain, no bass boost, Bluetooth AAC). My initial impressions are that treble is more present than the Lyr 3 but well controlled with plenty of sparkle and no harshness. Soundstage is smaller, bass is a little muddier and less impactful but that is what I would expect given the Q5 is a portable battery powered DAC amp and I was using Bluetooth. Truly, the difference is very small. I didn’t have high expectations given how the AFO really didn’t pair well with the Modi / Magni combo, but it sounds great with the Q5. Very natural sounding with maybe a little less bass, a little more treble sparkle, and a little less spaciousness, but remarkably forgiving of less than perfect playback source. It’s a good pairing. When compared to the AFCs on the Q5, I’d say the AFC sounds more neutral and a little more detailed, but it’s a toss up depending on the song / genre which I would prefer.

My experience with the AFO was somewhat different from the AFC. I had to keep at least the one notch filters in for the first 50 hours or so on the AFO due to treble brightness. After ~ 100 hours I switched to no filters as my primary listening mode for most music (I like the treble sparkle/edge).

I didn't really notice this as much with the AFC (which I also purchased first). Burn in (brain or otherwise) seemed to decrease the sharpness of the treble, while increasing the sound stage a bit.

More recently I've started playing around with the two notch filters for more extended listening sessions to reduce mild fatigue that can set in after many hours ( > 5). It's a real testament to the comfort of these headphones that I can listen that long :)

The only sources I've tried with these headphones are the Jotunheim with Mimby or the AK4490 module or the iDSD micro BL.

I also notice that these headphones seem to be very much benefited in my experience by using a USB cleaner (iPurifier 2, iUSB 3.0 micro, etc.) or USB to Coax (Eitr). I don't notice as much of an improvement with my dynamic headphones as much, so maybe related to planar drivers.

My daily driver setup is now Eitr > Mimby > Jotunheim > AFO, which is just an incredible sound quality: price ratio for me.

I've definitely considered getting a Lyr 3, but I've never heard a tube amp (other than my old Peavy Deuce guitar amp) and I'm a bit afraid of reports of tube amps killing headphones.

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #2,060 of 2,583
My experience with the AFO was somewhat different from the AFC. I had to keep at least the one notch filters in for the first 50 hours or so on the AFO due to treble brightness. After ~ 100 hours I switched to no filters as my primary listening mode for most music (I like the treble sparkle/edge).

I didn't really notice this as much with the AFC (which I also purchased first). Burn in (brain or otherwise) seemed to decrease the sharpness of the treble, while increasing the sound stage a bit.

More recently I've started playing around with the two notch filters for more extended listening sessions to reduce mild fatigue that can set in after many hours ( > 5). It's a real testament to the comfort of these headphones that I can listen that long :)

The only sources I've tried with these headphones are the Jotunheim with Mimby or the AK4490 module or the iDSD micro BL.

I also notice that these headphones seem to be very much benefited in my experience by using a USB cleaner (iPurifier 2, iUSB 3.0 micro, etc.) or USB to Coax (Eitr). I don't notice as much of an improvement with my dynamic headphones as much, so maybe related to planar drivers.

My daily driver setup is now Eitr > Mimby > Jotunheim > AFO, which is just an incredible sound quality: price ratio for me.

I've definitely considered getting a Lyr 3, but I've never heard a tube amp (other than my old Peavy Deuce guitar amp) and I'm a bit afraid of reports of tube amps killing headphones.

So far my preference is black filters in the AFC and 1 notch whites in the AFOs, but that’s just personal preference based as much as anything on the age of my ears and music tastes. As you say, more filter = less fatiguing over long listening sessions, which both the AFC and AFO are great for.

Re killing headphones with tube amps: It’s definitely a possibility with 6+ watts of power if the tube blows spectacularly. I start my amp with the phones unplugged, so hopefully I’ll avoid that but seriously, if it ever happens I’ll use it as an excuse to upgrade amp and headphone.

Don’t think I’ll get any benefit from a USB filter on my main station. The full chain is IPhone > Apple Airport express via WiFi > optical to D50 > RCA to Schiit Loki > RCA to Lyr 3.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #2,061 of 2,583
So my AFOs showed up today and I’ve had a little time to listen to them. I now know why so many people on the Lyr3 thread have them.

In comparison to my AFCs they are more similar than different with a good tube amp. However, one surprising difference is how much the amp affects the sound of the AFOs. This was true with the AFCs, but with the AFOs the difference is significantly more dramatic. On my Schiit Modi 2U / Magni 3, the AFO treble is tizzy and unnatural, requiring the one notch white pad to tame to an acceptable but sub optimal level. The AFCs on the same dac / amp were better if a little dry with the black foam filter. The AFCs had a more balanced sound than the AFOs and If I only owned the Modi/ Magni, I would prefer the AFC for its clarity and natural sounding treble.

On the Topping D50 / Lyr 3, the AFOs using the same 1 notch attenuating pad sounded very different from how they sounded with the Magni /Modi. Think sound signature similar to the AFC but warmed up and served with a creamy dollop of butter. The overall profile is slightly dark with a small upper bass bump. Speaking of the bass: It’s clean and tight, wrapped in velvet, and can blow your mind with how well it supports the mids with texture and body. Dynamics are excellent. Compared to the AFC, the AFOs are more inviting and more enjoyable despite trading away a touch of detail.

Sound Isolation wise, I’d call these cans semi-open. They’re not as isolating as the AFCs, but quite a bit more than my wide open 400i Hifiman headphones. I regard this as a plus since I’ve really come to appreciate the benefits of isolation.

Overall, I really like how these cans sound on the Lyr 3 and will probably have more impressions after I spend some more time with them.

Give your initial listening impressions more time. The AFO takes some time for your ears to adjust.

Oct 15, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #2,062 of 2,583
Give your initial listening impressions more time. The AFO takes some time for your ears to adjust.

Weirdly, I didn’t have the problem with my other two amps. Sounded just fine in comparison to the AFC. When switching between the AFO and the AFC on my Lyr 3 and Q5, the AFO has a little more treble, a bump in the upper bass, and more dynamics but they both sounded really good. On the Magni, the AFOs sounded off. Could I get used to it? Absolutely. It didn’t sound horrible, just not as good as the AFC.

Oct 21, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #2,064 of 2,583
Weirdly, I didn’t have the problem with my other two amps. Sounded just fine in comparison to the AFC. When switching between the AFO and the AFC on my Lyr 3 and Q5, the AFO has a little more treble, a bump in the upper bass, and more dynamics but they both sounded really good. On the Magni, the AFOs sounded off. Could I get used to it? Absolutely. It didn’t sound horrible, just not as good as the AFC.

I share a similar setup with you. I also use the balanced output from the Q5. IMO, what is really needed for AFO is EQ. After I gave AFO some equalization to add a few DBs around 2k, its SQ is remarkably natural and euphonic, and better than any headphones I heard so far. I believe EQ improves its timbre significantly. I easily prefer EQed AFO over my Ether C Flow 1.1.

My setup is MacPro (optical output) - DMG Equilibrium (Equalizer Software) - Q5 (balanced output)

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #2,066 of 2,583
Hi,

I have the AFO’s, and mainly drive them with IFi Audio iDSD Micro BL for a transportable set up. I mainly use the black pads. To my ears the white ones with the notches sounds less aggressive but also takes away the good stuff, like the vibrato on guitars sounds closed in and can’t “breathe”.. Anyway, have any of you guys experimented with doubling up the black pads?? It’s just that some recordings with a more strident lower treble may benefit from it. Thanks!

Oct 24, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #2,067 of 2,583
Just a little note on the white pads; they do "burn in." I believe this is mostly just minor particulates from the manufacturing process essentially blowing out of the material. It's funny but it's a thing. It doesn't take 100 hours or anything but I do find a couple of days of normal use and the pads will "open up."

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 29, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #2,068 of 2,583
I happen to view a large soundstage by the furthest sounding instruments or ambient cues in a recording as well, not just by how far or close the most intimate cues are. By that token, I don't find much depth in the Aeon Open, which is weird, because I've found nearly all planars I've listen to to excel in depth. It's the one thing that prevents the Aeon Open from sounding truly lifelike with acoustic recordings.

I've found that with headphones, the less damped they are, the better their soundstage. The Aeon Flow feels too damped. However, its damping scheme is also probably why it has such a good frequency balance. Getting a headphone with the ergonomics and frequency response of the Aeon Open while resulting in very minimum damping schemes aka Hifiman is the promised land.

I also want to add that I whole hardheartedly agree Dan's assertion that-- soundstage being largely a psyocoacoustic phenomenon-- is very much affected by the Aeon Flow's attenuation of extreme upper frequencies due to the seal of its pads. When people are free to experience unhindered high frequency from the surrounding air and environment, it creates a more natural and open, and even larger soundstage experience from the headphones.

None of this is to say the Aeon Flow is a claustrophobic sounding headphone (if it was I wouldn't be able to stand it.) However, it is not the same holographic experience compared to Hifiman and especially the Sennheiser HD800.

I know I'm quoting an old post but I only just got my AFO and I'm slightly disappointed by the lack of soundstage. I feel like the post I have quoted is quite accurate. However what I came here to ask is if anyone has tried to get rid of the thick/dense foam on the back of the headphone. I feel this is what is inhibiting the soundstage, as well as perhaps fitting perforated leather earpads (which should also solve the issue that they get uncomfortably warm which breaks immersion). I'm coming from Hifiman 400S and on those a common mod is to take the foam out of the back of them to increase soundstage. So I wonder if this is possible here as well? So far I haven't been able to find a disassembly guide even though the backs seem to have an opening from which to pry them, it doesn't seem to be that easy. Advice anyone?

I'm inclined to go as far as to say that we should've got different filter sets for the back as well haha. I'm confident that these cans + soundstage = game over.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #2,069 of 2,583
I know I'm quoting an old post but I only just got my AFO and I'm slightly disappointed by the lack of soundstage. I feel like the post I have quoted is quite accurate. However what I came here to ask is if anyone has tried to get rid of the thick/dense foam on the back of the headphone. I feel this is what is inhibiting the soundstage, as well as perhaps fitting perforated leather earpads (which should also solve the issue that they get uncomfortably warm which breaks immersion). I'm coming from Hifiman 400S and on those a common mod is to take the foam out of the back of them to increase soundstage. So I wonder if this is possible here as well? So far I haven't been able to find a disassembly guide even though the backs seem to have an opening from which to pry them, it doesn't seem to be that easy. Advice anyone?

I'm inclined to go as far as to say that we should've got different filter sets for the back as well haha. I'm confident that these cans + soundstage = game over.

It's funny you say that. I was listening to my pair for the first time in a long time and ever since I've been thinking if removing that backing foam would expand the soundstage.

Oct 31, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #2,070 of 2,583
It's funny you say that. I was listening to my pair for the first time in a long time and ever since I've been thinking if removing that backing foam would expand the soundstage.
Any idea how we could do that safely? Like I said, I can see some noticeable openings at the bottom of the back ends but they don't seem to pry open. They're literally next to where the cables plug in. I wonder if they're glued? That would be a disappointing revelation on build quality haha.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back