Mr Speakers Voce Electrostatic headphone thread
Oct 4, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #331 of 404
Are there changes in construction or silent revisions of Voce since MrSpeakers -> Dan Clark Audio transition? Or all headphone pairs are supposed to be the same? (are there some advantages of the new models except earpads)
Just the ear pads... And they're swappable so you can go back and forth if you wish.

Is this the official Voce thread?

I am a newfound DCA Fan with the Expanse and thought, looking into the other offerings is worth a try here.

How does the Voce compare to the Audeze CRBN?
VOCE has a warmer tone and more bass presence. There are other differences too but others would need to comment as I'm MOT.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 4, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #332 of 404
VOCE has a warmer tone and more bass presence.
That sounds very promosing.
What change can one expect between old and new earpads?

Oct 4, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #333 of 404
For me, I find the new earpads to increase the quality of sound. My comparison is the Jade II by Hifiman and the HE90 by Sennheiser out of the newly update/upgraded RSA A-10.

I find that I hear more detail with the new earpad, a bit fuller sound and more natural in presentation. The HE90 throw a large soundstage that is extremely well separated but not unnaturally. They compliment each other in use and while I found the HE90 better, with the new earpads for the Voce, I prefer some music with the Voce now and some with the HE90. If I had only one headphone, electrostatic, I would go with the Voce for the rounder natural warmth to the sound. Not warm in gushy heavy but in the natural warmth of real sound.

Oct 28, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #334 of 404
Sometimes you take the sound of your system for granted and need a break to come back with fresh ears. This is what happened to me as I had to move my Blue Hawaii build out of the way and have been using the excellent LTA10e with my SEAS Exotic speakers and dynamic headphones.

Today I moved the Blue Hawaii back and listened with the Voce to some of my favourite pieces of the last few months. I was gobsmacked at how fantastic the combination is with well recorded music in particular. Balanced, realistic, beautiful tone, sparkle, impact and awesome bass.

My source is Qobuz hi-res downloads, 432 EVO streamer, and Arcam D33 DAC. I cannot recall hearing better music.(*)

(Helen Grimaud Beethoven 4th piano conc or Stick Figure World on Fire, it’s all great.) If the new style pads could improve on this I might pass out with pleasure.

* Edit; Thinking about it I have heard for 15 minutes, a system that I would want to hear again if I wanted to spend a lot of money; the Warwick Acoustics Aperio, getting on for three times the cost of my system.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #335 of 404
More energy in the upper midrange for a smoother and more balanced midrange delivery and a slightly better overall tonal balance.

Sometimes you take the sound of your system for granted and need a break to come back with fresh ears. This is what happened to me as I had to move my Blue Hawaii build out of the way and have been using the excellent LTA10e with my SEAS Exotic speakers and dynamic headphones.

Today I moved the Blue Hawaii back and listened with the Voce to some of my favourite pieces of the last few months. I was gobsmacked at how fantastic the combination is with well recorded music in particular. Balanced, realistic, beautiful tone, sparkle, impact and awesome bass.

My source is Qobuz hi-res downloads, 432 EVO streamer, and Arcam D33 DAC. I cannot recall hearing better music.

(Helen Grimaud Beethoven 4th piano conc or Stick Figure World on Fire, it’s all great.) If the new style pads could improve on this I might pass out with pleasure.
Yeah, the BHSE is pretty amazing. I found a bunch of quad matched NOS Siemens EL34 that I just adore with it, soundstage is enormous compared to the Mullard tubes.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Oct 29, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #336 of 404
More energy in the upper midrange for a smoother and more balanced midrange delivery and a slightly better overall tonal balance.
But is the soundstage getting smaller with the new earpads (because the inner pad hole is smaller)?

Oct 31, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #337 of 404

Oct 31, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #338 of 404
But is the soundstage getting smaller with the new earpads (because the inner pad hole is smaller)?
Not to me. I love the new earpads. To me, they bring the Voce to a whole new level, and a good one. IMO

Dec 16, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #339 of 404
Just the ear pads... And they're swappable so you can go back and forth if you wish.

VOCE has a warmer tone and more bass presence. There are other differences too but others would need to comment as I'm MOT.
I might have missed this, @mrspeakers , but do the ear pads attach via magnetic force or double sided tape?

I had an extended listen today at AV One in Singapore, courtesy of Jeremy who is always excellent. I am wondering how my impressions would change by virtue of the new ear pads. I do like what you say it addresses. I would be most tempted now to put in an order to complement my current electrostatic earspeakers. And my incoming CRBN. :)

Are these ear pads to be purchased separately or will the authorised dealers receive them too? Thanks!

8A5AA18B-F27A-4FB4-B343-4F6378659C2B.jpeg
74F8E2A9-DD5B-4801-B991-9C9B5AD8EA05.jpeg

Dec 16, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #340 of 404
The pads are similar to the o es of Stax 007. They have a pocket all around where you have to slide in the headphone.
They are worth the money, because mids and separation get clearly better. I don't know, if they come with a new order automaticly.

Dec 16, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #341 of 404
The pads are similar to the o es of Stax 007. They have a pocket all around where you have to slide in the headphone.
They are worth the money, because mids and separation get clearly better. I don't know, if they come with a new order automaticly.
Thanks!! Yes, that would be the little nudge I need.:)

Dec 18, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #342 of 404
Earlier on this page I was praising the sound of the Voce as the last link in my headphone chain as "balanced, realistic, beautiful tone, sparkle, impact and awesome bass."

A few days ago I received the new Ether/Voce earpads from the ever helpful Mark Dolbear of Electromod in the UK. I fitted them the same day and found myself hooked for several hours. This has been repeated over the last three days.

I experience a cleaner focus with very good imaging and definition of instruments and voices. The tonal quality is just excellent, very natural. Only positive things strike me, such as cleaner drums or percussive attacks. With many systems one can experience a feeling of say, violins being too fierce or cymbals being bright and tinselly but without realistic weight. This has not happened at all, the weight and power of real music and voices is beautifully conveyed. On all sorts of music and songs I listen to, the headphone system just retreats and my complete focus is on the performance which gives great pleasure.

Dec 18, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #343 of 404
Earlier on this page I was praising the sound of the Voce as the last link in my headphone chain as "balanced, realistic, beautiful tone, sparkle, impact and awesome bass."

A few days ago I received the new Ether/Voce earpads from the ever helpful Mark Dolbear of Electromod in the UK. I fitted them the same day and found myself hooked for several hours. This has been repeated over the last three days.

I experience a cleaner focus with very good imaging and definition of instruments and voices. The tonal quality is just excellent, very natural. Only positive things strike me, such as cleaner drums or percussive attacks. With many systems one can experience a feeling of say, violins being too fierce or cymbals being bright and tinselly but without realistic weight. This has not happened at all, the weight and power of real music and voices is beautifully conveyed. On all sorts of music and songs I listen to, the headphone system just retreats and my complete focus is on the performance which gives great pleasure.
Yes, the newer pads are excellent. The Voce takes a nice step up with them.

Dec 18, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #344 of 404
Ok, ok, you guys made me pull the trigger on the new pads. 😋😅 Will be interesting to see the changes.

Dec 18, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #345 of 404
Ok, ok, you guys made me pull the trigger on the new pads. 😋😅 Will be interesting to see the changes.
My impressions are all positive with the newer pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back