Mr Speakers Voce Electrostatic headphone thread
Feb 28, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #361 of 404
What is AMTS?
Well, according to the Dan Clark Audio site it is an "Advanced Metamaterial Tuning System":
All headphones are subject to standing waves in the higher frequencies, and these can make treble sound harsh, fatiguing, or synthetic.
AMTS is DCA’s patent-pending solution to this perennial problem. AMTS is an inline device placed between the transducer and ear. It integrates waveguides, diffusion control, quarter-wave, and Helmholtz resonators into one compact structure.
...With AMTS, frequency response is significantly smoother throughout the midrange and high frequencies, free of annoying “peaks and holes” for a smoother, more complete, accurate, and enjoyable listening experience.

Feb 28, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #362 of 404
Well, according to the Dan Clark Audio site it is an "Advanced Metamaterial Tuning System":
Got it. So couldn't they also have a different design in conjunction with that? Or just ask them?

Feb 28, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #363 of 404
Got it. So couldn't they also have a different design in conjunction with that? Or just ask them?
I'd probably vote for the large egg-shaped black electrostats... However Corina already has a different grid pattern.

Feb 28, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #364 of 404
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 28, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #365 of 404
Ask what? :)
It was brought up, prior in the thread, questioning the Corina and if it is the Voce, with different tuning but, I assume from what was stated, essentially the same drivers. I assume Corina is a different electrostatic driver and new acoustical materials used. ?

Feb 28, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #367 of 404
Feb 28, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #368 of 404
Basically a 3D printed waveguide / tiny acoustic chambers. Will be interesting to see if it affects the airy nature of electrostats

Corina is very detailed and transparent, but it is not bright.

In my experience "airiness" from stats is from rising energy above 2KHz relative to the Harman curve, some of the higher end stats measure well above the Harman in this area as measured by Head-Fi...

To me this emphasis is not how live instruments sound, and while it creates a sense of detail and air it's not "real" detail, it's an over-emphasis on harmonics. This de-emphasizes the midrange and makes instruments and vocals sound "etheral and thin" in a way live music doesn't. To me it's kind of funny because it prioritizes the highs over the mids, but the mids are where the music truly lies....

Now mind you, this is my perception, which I know some will agree with and some won't, but I feel strongly about this.

For this reason we set out to make something we perceived as delivering 'stat resolution without the treble emphasis to both complement the "airy" products for those already in the stat market, or to appeal to those for whom the brighter tone wasn't of interest to begin with.

Also, I'd like to have a good pair of closed-back electrostatic headphones )
Experiments have so far failed, don't hold your breath on that one. I'd steer you to Stealth for a highly resolving closed with a good tone.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Feb 28, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #369 of 404
I always appreciate a designer explaining their rationale behind their designs. Even if I don't prefer the resulting tuning, I get a better appreciation of the design and the work.

Feb 28, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #370 of 404

In my experience "airiness" from stats is from rising energy above 2KHz relative to the Harman curve, some of the higher end stats measure well above the Harman in this area as measured by Head-Fi...

To me this emphasis is not how live instruments sound, and while it creates a sense of detail and air it's not "real" detail, it's an over-emphasis on harmonics. This de-emphasizes the midrange and makes instruments and vocals sound "etheral and thin" in a way live music doesn't. To me it's kind of funny because it prioritizes the highs over the mids, but the mids are where the music truly lies....

Now mind you, this is my perception, which I know some will agree with and some won't, but I feel strongly about this.

For this reason we set out to make something we perceived as delivering 'stat resolution without the treble emphasis to both complement the "airy" products for those already in the stat market, or to appeal to those for whom the brighter tone wasn't of interest to begin with.

Experiments have so far failed, don't hold your breath on that one. I'd steer you to Stealth for a highly resolving closed with a good tone.
Thanks for the reply, that was great 😊 Would you say Corina is the successor / replacement to VOCE or a seperate product line with a different flavour? You mentioned in another thread that electrostats are limited production / numbers so I assume it doesn’t make sense to continue both or the Corina is designed to surpass the VOCE in all areas?

I liked the VOCE descriptions of being warmer and more fun so just trying to gauge where it stands as I can only own one of them at this price point and already have L700mk2s. Unfortunately ill never get to try them directly in Australia and will have to buy them without auditioning.

Feb 28, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #371 of 404
Thanks for the reply, that was great 😊 Would you say Corina is the successor / replacement to VOCE or a seperate product line with a different flavour? You mentioned in another thread that electrostats are limited production / numbers so I assume it doesn’t make sense to continue both or the Corina is designed to surpass the VOCE in all areas?

I liked the VOCE descriptions of being warmer and more fun so just trying to gauge where it stands as I can only own one of them at this price point and already have L700mk2s. Unfortunately ill never get to try them directly in Australia and will have to buy them without auditioning.
It’s a line extension, we will make Voce still for those looking for its sound or simply a lower price point…

Apr 26, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #373 of 404

Yes. The Voce gets dinged by Stax fans because they think the Stax is more detailed, but not sure if its ringing, or just not totally still, but there is a subtle halo effect as you describe which is ethereal but not right and ultimately fatiguing.

Apr 26, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #374 of 404
Yes. The Voce gets dinged by Stax fans because they think the Stax is more detailed, but not sure if its ringing, or just not totally still, but there is a subtle halo effect as you describe which is ethereal but not right and ultimately fatiguing.
Pretty much... The thing most people don't realize is that resolution is in large part simply driven by diaphragm thickness. At 2.4um our driver is the same thickness as the HE-1, I can't speak to Stax because I'm not aware they publish this info, but thinner material was too unstable to hold tension properly so we went with the thinnest that was stable over time. Beyond that, tone is really defining the experience, and if you crank up the highs you'll hear "detail" but it won't sound natural, and that's what we set out to address. Corina really took it the next level, with the smoothest mid/highs we've done to date, 200-7KHz literally has not a single peak or dip > +/-1dB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back