Mr Speakers Voce Electrostatic headphone thread
Apr 26, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #376 of 404
Pretty much... The thing most people don't realize is that resolution is in large part simply driven by diaphragm thickness. At 2.4um our driver is the same thickness as the HE-1, I can't speak to Stax because I'm not aware they publish this info, but thinner material was too unstable to hold tension properly so we went with the thinnest that was stable over time. Beyond that, tone is really defining the experience, and if you crank up the highs you'll hear "detail" but it won't sound natural, and that's what we set out to address. Corina really took it the next level, with the smoothest mid/highs we've done to date, 200-7KHz literally has not a single peak or dip > +/-1dB.
It's a tough battle. I grew up with a father that took me to the BSO many times in the 60's and 70's. I've continued to listen to unamplified music often. When it was amplified, it was jazz/classical on Quad ESL's.

Listeners under 45 most often seem to have recorded music, mostly digital as their starting point. That is why so much equipment is treble heavy I believe. Also why the ideal of accurate well damped bass seemed to get lost also, seen in many closed back bass cannons the past at least 15 years.

If I wasn't retired, I'd have several of your recent products in hand, but I can appreciate without owning. Carry on.

Apr 27, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #377 of 404
I recently got the Kse 1200 in ear electrostatics, I wonder if the Voce are similar. The transparency is incredible. Though it does sound a little like the various levels are being adjusted to bring the transparency.

I wonder if this what the original mix sounds like, or whether it’s just a strange but satisfying window on the music.

I regularly listen with the ether 2, if some can help me imagine, how these Voce would sound…

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #378 of 404
I recently got the Kse 1200 in ear electrostatics, I wonder if the Voce are similar. The transparency is incredible. Though it does sound a little like the various levels are being adjusted to bring the transparency.

I wonder if this what the original mix sounds like, or whether it’s just a strange but satisfying window on the music.

I regularly listen with the ether 2, if some can help me imagine, how these Voce would sound…
The tonality of that product is exactly what I'm talking about, clarity and "resolution" are enhanced by tonality, which is on the lean side. So take the kse 1200 and add bass and a warmer midrange, with about the same actual resolution capability. It'll be perceived differently, you might not get that "wow, listen to the clarity," but if your reference is live acoustic music, you'll know which one is more accurate...

IMHO when you listen to a product and your first reaction is "listen to those highs," or "...that bass," or "...that XYZ," it's usually going to the thing that pops out that becomes the thing that makes you not like the product long term.

For me, if the reaction is anything besides "wow, that sounds lifelike," or "what a beautiful tone," it's not right for me. IMHO the ideal product is one where you focus on what you WANT to focus on, vs having something thrust in your face...

Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 28, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #379 of 404

Also an owner of a pair of Ether 2's and curious about how similar the VOCE/Ether 2 sound.

Apr 28, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #380 of 404
Also an owner of a pair of Ether 2's and curious about how similar the VOCE/Ether 2 sound.
Ether 2 fed enough juice has the bass impact and stage size over the Voce, but nothing else IMO. No disrespect to the Ether 2 which I like but the Voce is my favorite headphone and the speaker analogs would be Quads and the ML CLS, but the Voce has them nailed in pinpoint imaging - which is to be expected.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #381 of 404

I have both. Think of Voce as having transparency & clarity with a far wider stage. The 1200 is great. To me the Voce is unworldly.

Jul 16, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #382 of 404
@mrspeakers - There is some discussion of the Voce in the Stax III thread. Couple of questions have come up:

- Is the Voce discontinued? I recall getting a sales email saying it was, but someone else asked and was told it is still in production.

- Is the pad update released in April 2022, what your website is talking about where it says "Updated Summer 2022!" or was there another update?

Jul 16, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #383 of 404
@mrspeakers - There is some discussion of the Voce in the Stax III thread. Couple of questions have come up:

- Is the Voce discontinued? I recall getting a sales email saying it was, but someone else asked and was told it is still in production.

- Is the pad update released in April 2022, what your website is talking about where it says "Updated Summer 2022!" or was there another update?
While I am not Dan I still know the answers.

1. No it remains in production and did not get replaced by the Corina

2. Yes the pads are the update the website is referring to

Jul 16, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #384 of 404
While I am not Dan I still know the answers.

1. No it remains in production and did not get replaced by the Corina

2. Yes the pads are the update the website is referring to

I did not keep it, but I'm nearly certain that I got an email to Club DCA members that said the Voce was discontinued and offering the remaining ones at a discount. So would still like to hear directly from @mrspeakers please.

Also, I'd like to hear definitively about the Summer 2022 change. Maybe it was the earpads from April of that year, but the Corina marketing says it has "re-engineered drivers" and DCA has said the drivers are the same on the Voce and Corina. So that implies that a Voce driver change was made at some point.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #385 of 404
I did not keep it, but I'm nearly certain that I got an email to Club DCA members that said the Voce was discontinued and offering the remaining ones at a discount. So would still like to hear directly from @mrspeakers please.

Also, I'd like to hear definitively about the Summer 2022 change. Maybe it was the earpads from April of that year, but the Corina marketing says it has "re-engineered drivers" and DCA has said the drivers are the same on the Voce and Corina. So that implies that a Voce driver change was made at some point.
https://danclarkaudio.com/voce-electrostatic-headphones.html

Jul 18, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #387 of 404
Yes, I'm aware it is still for sale. I believe they are selling out their remaining inventory per the email I received from DCA. Would love if @mrspeakers could clarify.
Yes... :)

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jul 19, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #388 of 404

Why be coy instead of giving a straight answer? Did I not get an email from DCA that seemed to say the Voce was discontinued? I wish I had kept it, but someone else probably has it.

Could you also clarify what they "Updated Summer 2022!" refers to? Some of have said it is the April 2022 earpad change, but since April is not summer, I'm wondering if it was a driver change. You have said the Voce and Corina have the same driver and the Corrina page says that it has a "Re-engineered driver."

Jul 19, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #389 of 404

They are not similar, VOCE has a much smoother response and if you pair it with a good amp will be at a different level. Don't use an "energizer" to drive the headphone, they're cheap but not sufficient.

Why be coy instead of giving a straight answer? Did I not get an email from DCA that seemed to say the Voce was discontinued? I wish I had kept it, but someone else probably has it.

Could you also clarify what they "Updated Summer 2022!" refers to? Some of have said it is the April 2022 earpad change, but since April is not summer, I'm wondering if it was a driver change. You have said the Voce and Corina have the same driver and the Corrina page says that it has a "Re-engineered driver."
I thought I was being clear, but if I wasn't yes VOCE is discontinued.

The updated summer 22 was the introduction of an ear pad change that significantly improved the upper midrange on the VOCE.

The driver is not the same, some parts are in common but the whole way the Corina driver is fabricated has changed for a major increase in consistency and a different tuning.

Jul 19, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #390 of 404
I thought I was being clear, but if I wasn't yes VOCE is discontinued.
Interesting, that happened fast.
At Corinas release it was said, that Voce will continue.

Since this thread isn't moving that fast, the post is still one the previous Page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back