MQA: Revolutionary British streaming technology
Apr 20, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #347 of 1,869
Maybe I am being completely inept in reading the 1st graph...

Don't worry about it, that graph is completely all over the place and makes no sense. I didn't even bother addressing it earlier.

For example:

1. The original recording was on a DAT, which is limited to 16bit. How did it suddenly become 24bit?
2. 16bit TPDF creates a noise floor at around -90dBFS.

Don't know about (1) (there's another recording graphed that did have a DXD source), but regarding (2), TPDF creates a noise floor around -90dB overall, but when you do a Fourier analysis it's different and the dB levels mean something different. Like I said, when I manually applied 16 bit TPDF dither on the DXD master downsampled to 44.1kHz, I did indeed get a lower noise floor than the undecoded MQA.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 20, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #348 of 1,869
but regarding (2), TPDF creates a noise floor around -90dB overall, but when you do a Fourier analysis it's different and the dB levels mean something different.

Absolutely, my bad. Been spending too much time reading spectrograms with overlaid waveforms, forgot about frequency bins on an FFT for a moment!

G

Apr 22, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #349 of 1,869
In the latest edition of one of the usual suspect magazines MQA is the headline story. It's being sold as THE best thing since sliced bread and no surprise there are feature articles about Meridian equipment that you will need to decode the "folded data" properly and just by chance there are ad pages by Meridian, too LOL
biggrin.gif
I didn't buy it although there were articles about other stuff that might be an interesting read but no thanks
angry_face.gif

Apr 23, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #350 of 1,869
In the latest edition of one of the usual suspect magazines MQA is the headline story. It's being sold as THE best thing since sliced bread and no surprise there are feature articles about Meridian equipment that you will need to decode the "folded data" properly and just by chance there are ad pages by Meridian, too LOL :D .
I didn't buy it although there were articles about other stuff that might be an interesting read but no thanks:angry_face:  

If it's the magazine I think you are referring to, then many here might not want to read it as it may make your blood boil. Unbridled enthusiasm is very much the tone and clearly the reviewer is a complete convert full or glowing terminology that many here would dismiss as hyperbole or BS. :slight_smile:

As for the ads, if I was in their shoes I in all honesty I would place them as well just like any other manufacturer.

As always it's reader/buyer beware as all might not be as it is shown but it does not follow that it definitely is not.

Apr 23, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #351 of 1,869
If it's the magazine I think you are referring to, then many here might not want to read it as it may make your blood boil. Unbridled enthusiasm is very much the tone and clearly the reviewer is a complete convert full or glowing terminology that many here would dismiss as hyperbole or BS. :slight_smile:

As for the ads, if I was in their shoes I in all honesty I would place them as well just like any other manufacturer.

As always it's reader/buyer beware as all might not be as it is shown but it does not follow that it definitely is not.

350 posts and finally the truth emerges - MQA is indeed the greatest thing since sliced bread! The golden eared Gods have finally spoken and their hearing is unimpeachable and cannot be questioned. Remember if the golden eared Gods heard it then it has to be the truth.

So step aside DSD because MQA is now the Next Big Thing in High End Audio (that is until next month).

Apr 24, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #352 of 1,869
350 posts and finally the truth emerges - MQA is indeed the greatest thing since sliced bread! The golden eared Gods have finally spoken and their hearing is unimpeachable and cannot be questioned. Remember if the golden eared Gods heard it then it has to be the truth.

So step aside DSD because MQA is now the Next Big Thing in High End Audio (that is until next month).

The pendulum swings back and forth between two, ( to mind mind at least), extremes. What I do find interesting is that from the images within the article the wide range of MQA streamable files waiting in the wings. The sooner they are made available to everyone, the sooner everyone can start to get their own head round whether it is any good or all smoke and mirrors.

Apr 24, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #353 of 1,869
personally I don't have and certainly won't buy a device just so that I can read MQA.

Apr 24, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #354 of 1,869
personally I don't have and certainly won't buy a device just so that I can read MQA.

Neither would I without being convinced MQA truly has something worthwhile to offer. The more files readily available to everyone brings nearer the the chance to do proper real life comparisons before making ones minds up. Of course those who already have made there minds up don't need to bother, they can just take the plunge regardless of whether it turns out to be a charde or they can not take the time to audition it safe in their knowledge that they are right in the first place and it's all nonsense.

Apr 28, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #355 of 1,869

Neither would I without being convinced MQA truly has something worthwhile to offer. The more files readily available to everyone brings nearer the the chance to do proper real life comparisons before making ones minds up. Of course those who already have made there minds up don't need to bother, they can just take the plunge regardless of whether it turns out to be a charde or they can not take the time to audition it safe in their knowledge that they are right in the first place and it's all nonsense.

I would think, at the very least, that the guys who bought into Hi-Rez will also buy into this.

Apr 28, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #357 of 1,869
  Some hi-res files are markedly better than their low-res version, but it is so dependent on a range of factors. But I do like 24/96 as my regular format size to use.

Just to clarify, there is no audible difference between hi-res and low-res "files", only audible differences between what is in those files. Obviously so in the case of different songs, not quite so obvious but still noticeable in the case of different versions/masters of the same song and of course, unnoticeable in the case of exactly the same version/master.

G

Apr 28, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #358 of 1,869

Hey CoA, how are you?  I don't log on very often any more, but I see you're doing a great job as Sound Science Moderator.  It's refreshing to see the objective point of view on Head-Fi without getting deleted.

Now about the post.  I agreed with you at first but this is what happened to me. 

Like many of us, I have accumulated a few rigs, that have migrated into different rooms.  One of them is a computer rig out to a Blue Circle Thingee usb to spdif transport, then to a Stello DA100, then to a Woo3 preamp and then out to an amp with speakers. 

So here's what happened.  I was listening to internet radio on foobar while I was surfing and I absent-mindedly clicked on something in my collection that didn't play. It turned out that the Blue Circle Thingee only decodes 16 bit over usb.  The Stello DA100 will play 24/96, so all of a sudden I had a bottle neck with the old Thingee.

No problem, I fired up the SoX resampler and it played.  But it bothered me on some obscure level in the back of my mind. 

Normally, just like you, I wouldn't buy a device just to play something that didn't look any different on my spectrum analyzer program or sound any different to my ears, but I did anyway. 

It annoyed me subconsciously until I finally grabbed a Peachtree X1 converter on Amazon which decodes 24/192.... and the old Blue Circle Thingee was retired. 

Now I find myself glancing at the Stello, but only does 24/96....  My NorthStar MK2 does 192.....

I always thought I wouldn't buy a device just to play something. LOL 

Never say never!   

beerchug.gif

Apr 28, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #359 of 1,869

Some hi-res files are markedly better than their low-res version, but it is so dependent on a range of factors. But I do like 24/96 as my regular format size to use.

Just to clarify, there is no audible difference between hi-res and low-res "files", only audible differences between what is in those files. Obviously so in the case of different songs, not quite so obvious but still noticeable in the case of different versions/masters of the same song and of course, unnoticeable in the case of exactly the same version/master.

G

+1  there is no audible difference between hi-res and low-res "files" just differences in versions used for the masters.

Apr 28, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #360 of 1,869

Hey CoA, how are you?  I don't log on very often any more, but I see you're doing a great job as Sound Science Moderator.  It's refreshing to see the objective point of view on Head-Fi without getting deleted.

Now about the post.  I agreed with you at first but this is what happened to me. 

Like many of us, I have accumulated a few rigs, that have migrated into different rooms.  One of them is a computer rig out to a Blue Circle Thingee usb to spdif transport, then to a Stello DA100, then to a Woo3 preamp and then out to an amp with speakers. 

So here's what happened.  I was listening to internet radio on foobar while I was surfing and I absent-mindedly clicked on something in my collection that didn't play. It turned out that the Blue Circle Thingee only decodes 16 bit over usb.  The Stello DA100 will play 24/96, so all of a sudden I had a bottle neck with the old Thingee.

No problem, I fired up the SoX resampler and it played.  But it bothered me on some obscure level in the back of my mind. 

Normally, just like you, I wouldn't buy a device just to play something that didn't look any different on my spectrum analyzer program or sound any different to my ears, but I did anyway. 

It annoyed me subconsciously until I finally grabbed a Peachtree X1 converter on Amazon which decodes 24/192.... and the old Blue Circle Thingee was retired. 

Now I find myself glancing at the Stello, but only does 24/96....  My NorthStar MK2 does 192.....

I always thought I wouldn't buy a device just to play something. LOL 

Never say never!   

beerchug.gif

well thank you, but the total of my moderator actions has been to quietly bark from time to time when the delivery guy sounds too irrational for my taste, hoping for things to calm down before moderation is needed. Brooko has been putting on the mask of justice once or twice already, making his actions objectivelly more significant than mine. and Joe and currawong still act more than they talk.

about MQA, of course if someone can see a use, they should go for it. I really was talking only for myself. it's pretty safe to say that if I end up with a MQA-able device some day, it will not be because I was looking for MQA. and about that statement, as they say in Billions, "I am not uncertain".^_^  I still stick to mp3 instead of aac(when aac is clearly better) just because I dislike apple, that's the kind of pig headed guy I am.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back