MQA: Revolutionary British streaming technology
Apr 18, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #316 of 1,869
If somebody seems to be on the payroll or has some other kind of stake in the topic of this thread,
doesn't it usually require a registration as member of the trade with a clear indication for which church he is praying?
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #317 of 1,869
Firstly, they did take time and energy to make their website very appealing. That's usually first sign of shady business.

Secondly, looking at the graphs, MQA looks just like regular 44/24 PCM, with flat 20bit TDPF noise floor. Nothing really extraordinary.

And lastly, I did a quick null-test between Et Misericordia 96/24 downsampled to 44/24 and MQA recording. I didn't expect perfect match, as my resampling algorithm is different from theirs, but both recordings were nearly identical, and when nulled, the only remaining stuff was above 8k which was attenuated by good 20dB.
So for what I can say is that it's simply resampled "original recording", priced 10% higher than 96/24.

Alas, they use very unscientific words in their "papers":
"music origami"
"highly optimal"
"sound quality will be extremely high"

Avoid, if possible.

PS: Is there ANY reason for 352.8k? Looking at the spectrals, it's just noise above 30k, so what's the point?
I guess take more HDD space.

Apr 19, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #318 of 1,869
If somebody seems to be on the payroll or has some other kind of stake in the topic of this thread,
doesn't it usually require a registration as member of the trade with a clear indication for which church he is praying?:wink:

Sorry if I am jumping to false conclusions but I assume the comment is referring to me.

As previously stated, I have absolutely no vested interest in MQA other than I have heard it, was impressed, hope it comes to fruition but until I have been able to audition it in direct comparison to standard highres music I am sitting on the fence. I do however reserve the right to challenge what I percieve as unjustified dismissal of MQA by those who have not heard it.

So far the silence has been deafening from those who have actually heard it and feel critical. Because I have had the audacity to post counter arguments with material I have read then some how I am accused of being on the pay role.

Some might consnstru that you are in the payroll of other vested interests against MQA as you could not find fault with the arguement so had to resort to trying to challenge and undermine the person posting it. (Please note I said "some", I don't accuse you personally of anything but exercise might right to counter what I feel is a completely unfounded comment about myself).

I try and conduct disscusions without insulting, making false accusations or casting slurs against anyone as I believe that approach only undermines a persons point of view and credibility.

I still look forward to input from those who have actually heard MQA, negative or positive.

Apr 19, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #319 of 1,869
How to decode this MQA information anyway? I couldn't find any software that could do it.

As long as only proprietary hardware can decode it, what's the point? It is supposed to be "folded" high-res PCM stream, so why should it depend on the DAC to do its magic, when it should be easily decoded through software.

Feels like they have something to hide.

Apr 19, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #320 of 1,869
  Firstly, they did take time and energy to make their website very appealing. That's usually first sign of shady business.

Secondly, looking at the graphs, MQA looks just like regular 44/24 PCM, with flat 20bit TDPF noise floor. Nothing really extraordinary.

And lastly, I did a quick null-test between Et Misericordia 96/24 downsampled to 44/24 and MQA recording. I didn't expect perfect match, as my resampling algorithm is different from theirs, but both recordings were nearly identical, and when nulled, the only remaining stuff was above 8k which was attenuated by good 20dB.
So for what I can say is that it's simply resampled "original recording", priced 10% higher than 96/24.

Alas, they use very unscientific words in their "papers":
"music origami"
"highly optimal"
"sound quality will be extremely high"

Avoid, if possible.

PS: Is there ANY reason for 352.8k? Looking at the spectrals, it's just noise above 30k, so what's the point?
I guess take more HDD space.

An appealing website is "usually the first sign of a shady business".  From this one might conclude that if you are an honest person/company then it is best not to have an appealing website because you give the impression your dishonest.  Sorry but this for me seems to fall in to the great conspiracy camp.

The article was a Q&A session, none of the questions were ducked and many were openly hostile but still fully addressed.  The article does not even pretend to be a scientific paper.  I refer you to a comment at the outset asking readers not to take the responses out of context.

MQA is criticised as being lossy and criticised for also for needless high resolution?

What did you think when you listened to the music?

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #321 of 1,869
I am sure you are aware that downloadable or streaming files can go through the process of conversion from analogue to digital and back again more than once before the final processed master file is created. Manipulation of the signals between these processes do impact the recording and can degrade the original audio capture.

Why do you think that "streamable files can go through the process of conversion from analogue to digital and back again more than once before the master file is created"?

The fact that the fingerprint of legacy ADC's & DAC's is known and corrections can be made to account for them is an established principle.

I'm not sure what you mean by "legacy ADCs/DACs"? Top studio ADCs/DACs were audibly transparent over a dozen years ago, cheaper (project studio) ADCs/DACs were audibly transparent by about 8-10 years ago and I don't know of any commercial studios which use ADCs/DACs older than these. In other words, there is no "fingerprint" of studio ADCs/DACs and so obviously, there is nothing to "correct"! Stating otherwise is certainly not an "established principle".

When you question file size compared to what, you must know the answer to that if you have been following the thread. MQA reduces the file size of a hires file to that similar to a CD file for transference purposes and restores it to full bit perfect PCM on decoded playback ...

Yes, I do know that but this highlights the contradiction in your posts. On the one hand you effectively state the principle that what happens below the noise floor is not "describable" (is "audibly indistinguishable") and is therefore irrelevant, a principle I would agree with generally by the way. On the other hand you state that MQA reduces a hi-res file to CD file size and then restores it again. These two statements contradict each other because a hi-res file is audibly indistinguishable from a CD format file. In other words, just converting a hi-res file to say 16/44.1 is audibly indistinguishable to start with, there is no audible benefit to restoring a 16/44.1 file back to hi-res. Furthermore, the better lossy codecs which already exist also achieve "audibly indistinguishable" but with file sizes smaller than MQA promises. Therefore, if you are talking about "audibly indistinguishable" and file size, MQA offers no audible benefit and a larger file size, the opposite of what you appear to be arguing!

As you are clearly quite clued up on recording studio technology, if you can spare the time, (I am not being cynical), please read the computer audiophile Q&A article and tell me what answers are not correct, what factual inaccuracies can you identify. I would be very keen to know as I again, don't understand all of it.

I could go through the article point by point but it would take many hours and many pages. So I'll deal with a few specific points and generalisations of the inaccuracies:

"The steady dissolution of the album as a creative work and reduction in inherent sound quality from vinyl or CD to MP3 is more than unsettling" - This is inaccurate. A high 320 MP3 has far higher "inherent sound quality" than vinyl. However, there's no doubt that there can easily be an "actual" reduction in sound quality between many 320 MP3 releases and many older vinyl releases. This is because, as the article sort of mentions, the current economic climate of the recording industry dictates far less resources (time, money, talented personnel, facilities) are invested in making a recording today than in the past. This can (and almost always does) impact at least one (and commonly every!) aspect of the music recording creation process; composition, arrangement/orchestration, performance, recording, editing, mixing and mastering! Given the same resources as was once the case, a modern 320 MP3 release would have a higher sound quality than vinyl!  In other words, any sound quality reduction is due to the quality of the (resource limited) master and is NOT inherent to the format itself! As a general point, the interviewee consistently (and deliberately IMO) mixes and confuses these two COMPLETELY UNRELATED considerations. He also (again deliberately IMO) erroneously lumps all MP3s together. A 128 (or lower) MP3 can usually be easily discerned from lossless but not so with a modern high bitrate MP3. This is a common trick employed by those trying to market something as better than MP3.

As far as audible quality is concerned, given an equal quality master Fig. 1 should be very different indeed! The relationship between reel to reel and LP is fine but reel to reel should be slightly lower than ideal. CD, DVD-A/SACD should both be the same, equal to ideal and therefore slightly higher than reel to reel. A download (given say a 320 MP3 OR 256vbr AAC) should be invisibly lower than ideal but still a little higher than reel to reel.

"The problem that MQA is addressing is how to transport an analogue signal to another time or place. It is the analogue signal from the mixing desk that the producer heard and that is the signal that you want to reproduce at your loudspeaker." - This is essentially just another example of the same thing, confusing/mixing up different practises, terms or considerations. This is a particularly bad example though, for these reasons:

1. Typically mixing desks do not output an analogue signal in the first place! Typically, mixing desks are either physical digital (digital in and out) mixing desks or virtual mixing desks (still obviously digital in/out). Analogue mixing desks are a rarity and becoming rarer.

2. Neither a producer nor any other human being can hear an analogue signal! Human beings (which include most producers
wink_face.gif
) can only hear acoustic signals. What a producer actually hears is therefore the output of their speakers in the studio environment and this is what they base all their production decisions on. This is why mastering and mastering facilities exist in the first place! The analogue signal derived from the digital files and the so called ADC "fingerprint" is complete nonsense in relation to what the "producer heard", unless of course you've got exactly the same speakers as the producer, installed and calibrated in exactly the same acoustic environment. This is going to make about a thousand times more difference than any inaudible "fingerprint"! This fact also makes Fig. 2 a nonsense. A CD played in a mastering studio compared with the original master file will sound identical! However, they do label fig. 2 as "Notional" sound quality and I'm sure many audiophiles do have the "notion" that the master file does somehow sound superior to the CD. 10 mins with an ABX test in a mastering studio would easily demonstrate that "notion" to be false!

"[1] In general, the MQA system can reach in excess of either 23-bit dynamic range capability or [2] 3–6 bits below the content noise in the audio band." - Two obvious points here:

1. There is no analogue signal to store or transport which has anywhere near 23 bit dynamic range!

2. Given that the "content noise" floor on most commercial recordings is around -40 to -50dBFS that's about 8bits of dynamic range. 3-6 bits below means that MQA would be 11-14bits. Even the widest dynamic range commercial recordings pretty much never exceed 60dB (10bits) in which case MQA would achieve 13-16bits. This is less than (or at best equal to) standard 16bit lossless or indeed a high bitrate MP3.

"Even in these great 2L recordings we don't often see hall/microphone/ADC noise below the 16-bit noise spectral level -- not surprising given the fundamental thermal limit for microphones." - Actually, we NEVER see noise below the 16bit level in a real recording. The very quietest mics achieve a dynamic range of about 90dB which is 15bit, on top of that we have to add acoustic noise from the hall and noise from the mic pre-amp. In practise we rarely see a recorded dynamic range of more than about 12-13bit. And, this is deliberately reduced down to 10bit or less during mixing or mastering anyway.

However, I agree with the idea of introducing some actual practical and audible limitations to the discussion, the audiophile world could really do with a great deal more of that IMO! My problem with the interviewee is that he applies these physical and audible limitations when it suits the purposes of selling his new codec and then does precisely the opposite to suit some other marketing point. For example, increasing noise outside the audible band doesn't matter but improving impulse response outside the audible band does? And, "temporal blur" is a meaningless term he appears to have just invented and the numbers in fig. 3 and 4 also appear invented or if not completely invented then certainly manipulated to worse case test scenario rather than what happens in practise.

In conclusion, the whole thing comes across as a typical audiophile bunch of marketing BS. Arguably more sophisticated marketing BS than many but still marketing BS nonetheless. It could be a successful new codec, because it offers some potential marketing opportunities to a number of different segments of the industry; content distributors, retailers and hardware manufacturers. Beyond these potential marketing benefits there appears to be no chance of any actual audible or convenience benefits over what already exists. This is certainly what all the misrepresentation, deliberate confusion of issues, invented terminology and double standards indicates but, I can't be absolutely 100% certain until more info is forthcoming of what's actually going on "under the hood" and the creation tools are available to run some independent real world tests to ascertain if there is anything more than just marketing BS to it.

G

Apr 19, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #322 of 1,869
  How to decode this MQA information anyway? I couldn't find any software that could do it.

As long as only proprietary hardware can decode it, what's the point? It is supposed to be "folded" high-res PCM stream, so why should it depend on the DAC to do its magic, when it should be easily decoded through software.

Feels like they have something to hide.

If you read the article you will see why MQA have gone for an end to end process as their reasons are clearly set out.

The only way I know of to decode MQA as yet is via Meridian's Explorer 2, Meridian's "818" (which is horrendously expensive), or the recent offerings from Onkyo or Pioneer.  By the way I am not in the pay of any of these companies either.

"As long as only proprietary hardware can decode it, what's the point?"  
Files can be played on your existing equipment, MQA claim they are completely compatible if you choose to purchase MQA files, (existing users seem to be all in agreement that this is so and claim some sonic benefits but I would not vouch for that).  You only get the full MQA treatment if you invest in equipment with the appropriate software. They are not giving MQA away for free and you can't rip it from anywhere as far as I know. As ever, no one has to purchase it and it poses no threat to your existing equipment or downloads.  The only possible cost to anyone who does not want to go with MQA that I can see is if record companies and streaming services some time in the future only produce MQA files and decided to charge more than regular download files which I don't believe is at all likely, (this is only an opinion before anyone starts to shoot me down in flames).  It is not DRM but they have ensured that you can't hear full fat MQA with out paying which I suspect is behind much of the criticism of MQA.

Apr 19, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #323 of 1,869
Gregorio

You clearly have a much superior understanding of the topic than myself and all though I have serious doubts regarding your interpretations and arguments, I would not insult you by challenging your conclusions without factual evidence that I do not have.

One thing I do wonder about is why, (if MQA's claims are true, why evidently artists and producers, (not those who stand to gain financially as they don't own the companies/streaming services unless we accuse them of all being bribed or in the pay of MQA), have stated so positively their enthusiasm for it.  Please remember that I don't believe that everyone in the recording industry is corrupt and only out to promote bogus products.

Have you heard MQA?, If so what were your opinions of its merits or otherwise?  This last question alas never gets answered on this forum

Apr 19, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #324 of 1,869
In conclusion, the whole thing comes across as a typical audiophile bunch of marketing BS. Arguably more sophisticated marketing BS than many but still marketing BS nonetheless. It could be a successful new codec, because it offers some potential marketing opportunities to a number of different segments of the industry; content distributors, retailers and hardware manufacturers. Beyond these potential marketing benefits there appears to be no chance of any actual audible or convenience benefits over what already exists. This is certainly what all the misrepresentation, deliberate confusion of issues, invented terminology and double standards indicates but, I can't be absolutely 100% certain until more info is forthcoming of what's actually going on "under the hood" and the creation tools are available to run some independent real world tests to ascertain if there is anything more than just marketing BS to it.  
G

So that makes two posters who feel that the whole MQA thing is little more than some very good marketing.

My suggestion to Gringo is that if you want lots and lots of feel good responses that completely agree with you and those who also see MQA as the latest and greatest Holy Grail of high end audio then stick to the High-end Audio Forum, where the BS filter is completely turned off.

Here in the Sound Science forum the BS filter is set to ultra deluxe super high
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #325 of 1,869
Originally Posted by Gringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One thing I do wonder about is why, (if MQA's claims are true, why evidently artists and producers, (not those who stand to gain financially as they don't own the companies/streaming services unless we accuse them of all being bribed or in the pay of MQA), have stated so positively their enthusiasm for it.

According to the article: "Many recording and mastering engineers have testified that MQA improves very considerably on the conventional methods, recreating the sound they actually hear or remember from the original session or, in the case of archive material, the sound from an analogue tape recorder." - What does this actually mean?

1. How many is "many"? 5, 500? Don't forget, there are some nutters out there, even amongst recording and mastering engineers, especially now that the entry cost to calling oneself a recording or mastering engineer is only about $1,000. When I started, entry price was nearly six figures just for a "demo" studio and well into seven figures for a proper studio and no one started as an "engineer".
2. What are "conventional methods"? Mastering a CD and converting it to a 128 MP3 is a conventional method. Given that or some similar, I would testify that "MQA improves very considerably on the conventional methods"!

There is almost no talk of MQA in the pro audio engineering community currently. This means that very few have access to the creation tools, so again, what is "many"? The quoted statement appears nothing more than hyperbole at the moment and has no real meaning.

Originally Posted by Gringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have you heard MQA?, If so what were your opinions of its merits or otherwise?  This last question alas never gets answered on this forum

No but again, it's pointless. I have no idea how or if they have doctored either their example MQA files or whatever they are using for comparison. Hearing some improvement, no difference or poorer quality is meaningless without access to original files and being able to create a MQA version of those files myself (and in other formats for comparison).

G

Apr 19, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #326 of 1,869
Thanks Grigo for the comments you offer which seem well reasoned. From what you state I think it would be more reasonable to say that MQA's claims are still suspect and need more constructive proof than to use the term hyperbol but then that is your perogative.

It would appear that you are assuming that however many engineers etc they are referring to, you are assuming they are all nutters or novices which seems a little over judgemental, they could just as well be renowned, we simply don't know but then again you are perfectly entitled to your opinion.

I totally agree that reliable comparisons need to take place and reserve judgement until that happens.

Apr 19, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #328 of 1,869
So that makes two posters who feel that the whole MQA thing is little more than some very good marketing.

My suggestion to Gringo is that if you want lots and lots of feel good responses that completely agree with you and those who also see MQA as the latest and greatest Holy Grail of high end audio then stick to the High-end Audio Forum, where the BS filter is completely turned off.

Here in the Sound Science forum the BS filter is set to ultra deluxe super high :D

Above is a completely unfair and deliberate misrepresentation.

Fact - I have on more than once asked for comments both positive and negative regarding those who have heard MQA.

Fact - I have never claimed anything for MQA but have simply posted challenges to some of the comments offered against it, (some that I believe to be overtly bias and stated misconceptions or deliberate misrepresentations)

Fact - I have stated unequivocally that I am yet to be convinced of MQA's merits until direct comparisons can be independently made.

Your comments would seem to suggest that if someone does not agree with you then their comments are defacto without any merit and dismissed insultingly. This I believe says more about your shortcomings than mine.

Apr 19, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #330 of 1,869
Above is a completely unfair and deliberate misrepresentation.

Fact - I have on more than once asked for comments both positive and negative regarding those who have heard MQA.

Fact - I have never claimed anything for MQA but have simply posted challenges to some of the comments offered against it, (some that I believe to be overtly bias and stated misconceptions or deliberate misrepresentations)

Fact - I have stated unequivocally that I am yet to be convinced of MQA's merits until direct comparisons can be independently made.

Your comments would seem to suggest that if someone does not agree with you then their comments are defacto without any merit and dismissed insultingly. This I believe says more about your shortcomings than mine.

Woe slow down a minute and let's backup a bit.

I've been following high end audio for more years than I care to admit so let's just say at least 30 years. And during all those years I've seen and heard many, many claims about Audio Nirvana finally being reached. Everything from magic clocks to super thick cables and wires to mp3s that sound better than wav files to ultra high resolution digital audio to magic jitter reducers to DSD. And each and every time the claims did not match the reality. That's what is known as marketing.

And as I've stated before MQA is being marketed to those who want to believe in the impossible. The impossible in this case is that once something is recorded, either digital or analog, that original recording will always be the best possible source. Sure the original recording can be "improved" by using equalization but in the end it is the original recording that sets the limits on the final sound quality. Add to this the fact that in order for MQA to succeed the superiority of high resolution audio (24bit and 88.2 kHz and above) has to be established as an irrefutable fact. And until the high end audio world can prove this last statement then processes like MQA will also remain unproven. Which is not to say that MQA doesn't do exactly what it claims to do but rather more of so what, at least until that time.

It's kind of like all those AC power conditioners - each and every power supply in each and every piece of audio equipment "conditions" the power since they all convert the incoming AC into DC and can easily handle the normal deviations of voltage and frequency.

Basically the high end audio game is all about building these complicated belief systems (by they be about cables, power conditioning, bit rates, jitter, etc.) on totally unproven foundations. Kick away the rotten foundation and it all comes crashing down like the house of cards that it actually is.

By the way, I will go out on a limb here and state that MQA will never be "officially" subjected to double blind testing. Oh sure, there will be tons of testimony from all the usual high end audio mouthpieces but no real testing. Sighted listening tests have little to no value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back