MP3 Player VS Mindisc Player
Apr 14, 2003 at 9:24 PM Post #92 of 126
I'd like to point out a common misconception with HD bassed mp3 players... more specifically the ipod.

As Eagle Driver pointed out, he is well afraid of using any HD based player for anything than let it sit on the table top..

WHY?

THe ipod's HD *only* spins up long enough to load the 32MB buffer.. then it stops..

For the most part, the HD *rarely* spins up at all... Only long enough to load the buffer.. and 32MB is equivalent to about 30mins of music.

the only other reason the ipod HD will spin up is if you skip or seek a specific track.

Apr 14, 2003 at 11:47 PM Post #93 of 126
Quote:

Originally posted by stan23
I'd like to point out a common misconception with HD bassed mp3 players... more specifically the ipod.

As Eagle Driver pointed out, he is well afraid of using any HD based player for anything than let it sit on the table top..

WHY?

THe ipod's HD *only* spins up long enough to load the 32MB buffer.. then it stops..

For the most part, the HD *rarely* spins up at all... Only long enough to load the buffer.. and 32MB is equivalent to about 30mins of music.

the only other reason the ipod HD will spin up is if you skip or seek a specific track.

ya, but teh archos only has a 2mb cache ( i think )

i still am buying an archos multimedia before i buy a MDR

Apr 15, 2003 at 12:38 AM Post #96 of 126
I'd advise against buying the Archos Multimedia. It functions okay as an MP3 jukebox player - but it's unreliable, and its DIVX VCR function works poorly. You'll be paying waaaay too much $$$ for something that does only one thing well - and mediocre at best at other things.

Apr 15, 2003 at 12:41 AM Post #97 of 126
Quote:

Originally posted by fappar
ya, but teh archos only has a 2mb cache ( i think )

i still am buying an archos multimedia before i buy a MDR

thats why the archos isn't as well designed. Not sure about the new generation nomads, but on the old ones, the HD spins constantly as well.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 15, 2003 at 12:59 AM Post #99 of 126
Quote:

Originally posted by Firelance
The new archos AV140, due out next month (i think) will have dvd quality display and output. I don't know about the cache size.

ya, im prolly gonna wait for that... im just worried about its price tag

Apr 15, 2003 at 4:39 AM Post #100 of 126
I assume it'd be price between the current model ($200?) and the 320 with the full screen lcd ($500 ish?). The 140 i think is the best bet since you get better recording options, higher quality screen and probably better battery life.

Apr 15, 2003 at 4:43 AM Post #101 of 126
In my opinion, until Archos moves away from using the actual file structure to navigate through your files, they will always be lacking in the UI department. Both the Ipod and Zen are lightyears ahead of the current Archos players (unless they changed that on the FM recorder...but I doubt it). If you need the video options, then it might not be a bad buy...as an mp3 player, unless Archos has really made some sweeping changes, it'll be second rate. Another really annoying thing about Archos (and this is something everyone I've talked to complains about) is their firmware sucks andthey don't release new firmware nearly enough...luckily the folks from rockbox fixed that problem...for the owners of the R20 anyway.

As for the HD spinning, it rarely spins on the Zen...if you don't skip songs and fidget with the player, I'd say it might spin once every 12-14minutes on average. I don't have many songs longer then 12minutes (not a fan of classical) so I've never heard the thing skip.

Apr 15, 2003 at 4:44 PM Post #102 of 126
Quote:

Originally posted by SpoonMan
In my opinion, until Archos moves away from using the actual file structure to navigate through your files, they will always be lacking in the UI department. Both the Ipod and Zen are lightyears ahead of the current Archos players (unless they changed that on the FM recorder...but I doubt it). If you need the video options, then it might not be a bad buy...as an mp3 player, unless Archos has really made some sweeping changes, it'll be second rate. Another really annoying thing about Archos (and this is something everyone I've talked to complains about) is their firmware sucks andthey don't release new firmware nearly enough...luckily the folks from rockbox fixed that problem...for the owners of the R20 anyway.

As for the HD spinning, it rarely spins on the Zen...if you don't skip songs and fidget with the player, I'd say it might spin once every 12-14minutes on average. I don't have many songs longer then 12minutes (not a fan of classical) so I've never heard the thing skip.

imo, the p&p (no proggie needed) is the best feature of the archos line. the idea is that one can use it for things OTHER than music storage. ie. going to friends house and stealing his *educational videos* from his computer, by just plugging in and copying away.

/edit: you know there is going to be a video zen + an ipod with video soon... a bunch of other brands, too

Apr 15, 2003 at 6:04 PM Post #103 of 126
I have indeed heard about the video zen and ipod...it's all well and good but I don't have any practical use for a portable video player...color screens and all that stuff do nothing for me other then take away battery life. The p&p feature of the archos players is pretty good...it's not that big of a deal to simply bring notmad and the drivers with you on a CD (or floppy if you still use those...). I've always got a copy of it stashed away in my backpack. Navigating a directory structure of 20gigs worth of video files may not be so bad...however navigating 20gigs worth of mp3's is an entirely different affair, I've only got 8 gigs myself, and I hated going through my file structure all the time.

edit: aside from hurting battery time, high quality video screens will also raise prices considerably...the iPod is already overpriced...tack a nice color screen and video capabilities and you're then competing with high end PDA's

Apr 15, 2003 at 10:43 PM Post #104 of 126
Quote:

Originally posted by Firelance
I assume it'd be price between the current model ($200?) and the 320 with the full screen lcd ($500 ish?). The 140 i think is the best bet since you get better recording options, higher quality screen and probably better battery life.

is there a set release date for these bad mamma-jammas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back