MP3 Player VS Mindisc Player
Apr 16, 2003 at 1:08 AM Post #106 of 126
screw Archos. They piddled around & took forever to put out the Jukebox Multi Media, they took forever to put out the firewire cable in the states as well as the video module (the module may already be out... I gave up waiting), and now on top of that they're releasing a new player so soon after the JBMM? Screw them. My Studio 20 sounded way better with Rockboxx than the JBMM. At this point the iPod is looking better & better. Wish it was easy to upgrade the iPod's drive & too bad about the internal battery.
mad.gif
mad.gif

Apr 16, 2003 at 1:33 AM Post #107 of 126
Quote:

Originally posted by archosman
screw Archos. They piddled around & took forever to put out the Jukebox Multi Media, they took forever to put out the firewire cable in the states as well as the video module (the module may already be out... I gave up waiting), and now on top of that they're releasing a new player so soon after the JBMM? Screw them. My Studio 20 sounded way better with Rockboxx than the JBMM. At this point the iPod is looking better & better. Wish it was easy to upgrade the iPod's drive & too bad about the internal battery.
mad.gif
mad.gif

as they are the only people to have any kind of portable video device whatsoever, i think its a bit stupid to critisize them over a late release date. especially because it was such a kickass idea that all of the major portable audio companies are coming out with the same type of thing...

really, you must not do much of anything relating to the tech world, as most everything is delayed a bit these days.

btw, by "video module" do you mean a tv ripper? or a camcorder attachment. the former is out, and the later will come out on the 320

Apr 16, 2003 at 3:45 AM Post #108 of 126
The one thing that really pisses me off about archos is their firmware...it really sucks....great ideas, decent hardware (my R20 took a beating and never complained) but they really drop the ball on the firmware end, the archos firmware on my R20 sounded bad (somehow it actually introduced noise into the headphone out), was buggy and highly unstable, I frequent the archos forums (yahoo groups / www.funmp3players.com) and from what I've heard nothing's changed. After picking up a Zen I could never go back to the Archos players...and this is weird cause usually I'm the one screaming about how crappy Creative's software is (Playcenter3 is ass and the first 3 times I installed the drivers for my audigy it forced my computer to lock up, but that's a subject for another day)

Apr 16, 2003 at 5:49 AM Post #109 of 126
Well if you read my profile you would see what I do for a living. Our Avid is about 2 years old and our HighDef DS systems are both under a year old. I'm on a 333hrtz iMac at home with firewire if you need more ammunition. Tell me... do you repair $125,000 systems or do you primarily fix home computers that junior stuck a piece of cheese in... putz.

Quote:

Originally posted by fappar
as they are the only people to have any kind of portable video device whatsoever, i think its a bit stupid to critisize them over a late release date. especially because it was such a kickass idea that all of the major portable audio companies are coming out with the same type of thing...

really, you must not do much of anything relating to the tech world, as most everything is delayed a bit these days.

btw, by "video module" do you mean a tv ripper? or a camcorder attachment. the former is out, and the later will come out on the 320

Apr 16, 2003 at 12:48 PM Post #110 of 126
Quote:

Originally posted by archosman
Well if you read my profile you would see what I do for a living. Our Avid is about 2 years old and our HighDef DS systems are both under a year old. I'm on a 333hrtz iMac at home with firewire if you need more ammunition. Tell me... do you repair $125,000 systems or do you primarily fix home computers that junior stuck a piece of cheese in... putz.

i'm studying chip archetecture atm. once i do some more of this, ive got a job secured at transmeta

Apr 16, 2003 at 5:57 PM Post #111 of 126
Guys,
I read about some new hacked firmware for the Archos at http://www.minidisc.org . You should probably try it out. I don't think I know anyone with the Archos using the regular firmware anymore. Hope it does something for you!

Apr 16, 2003 at 7:58 PM Post #112 of 126
Quote:

Originally posted by utdeep
Guys,
I read about some new hacked firmware for the Archos at http://www.minidisc.org . You should probably try it out. I don't think I know anyone with the Archos using the regular firmware anymore. Hope it does something for you!

rockbox is almost enought to make want a recorder 20... but im waiting for the next gen recorders. and i think i will get in to the phillips hardware beta ^__^

Apr 17, 2003 at 3:50 AM Post #113 of 126
Quote:

Originally posted by utdeep
Guys,

Rockboxx is great! It's been out for awhile. Makes me miss my old Studio 20.

Apr 17, 2003 at 4:44 AM Post #114 of 126
What I think would thoroughly liberate MP3 would be for harddrive jukeboxes to support a good line-in/optical in and support playing/recording something like monkey audio (lossless compression).

That would allow it to hang with the CD format in terms of sound quality.. and would reduce the discrepencies in sound quality to AMPs.

Apr 17, 2003 at 5:47 AM Post #115 of 126
Archos recorder 20's have digital in/out on them....

As for Rockbox, it is damn good, however it's limited by the Archos having no DB functions...I can only imagine what they could do with something like an iPod or Zen.

Apr 23, 2003 at 5:01 AM Post #116 of 126
This is probably off topic but here it goes,

I just wanted to make sure of this, but I have read somewhere that you can't record SP in Net MD for computer to MD format.

Can anyone tell me if this is true?

All my music is on my computer, I don't have many cds.

Thanks

Apr 23, 2003 at 2:08 PM Post #120 of 126
Oh really?, for some reason I thought SP was the highest quality, of course I have never really owned an MD player, anyway how many songs or even cds can you put on an MD?

Again sorry for not know, but at least I will learn sooner then later.

Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back