MP3 Player VS Mindisc Player
Apr 9, 2003 at 5:35 PM Post #61 of 126
Fappar this is probably more than you bargained for but one thing I'd point out that no one else has.

You've got a number of people (Tina, Gloco, Mystyler, myself) arguing that MD is superior. TMC is the only person willing to argue that a flash player is better.

Go with the opinion of one person or many?

I would concede that HDD mp3 players have their advantages over MD units, but not flash players. Perhaps the only advantage would be really hard core mountain biking where only a flash player could withstand the big hits.

Something else that I don't like about mp3 files. I like live sets and electronica/trance music. MP3's have a gap at the end of each song so it's really annoying when you record a live set Pink Floyd's Pulse for example and to hear the pop in between each track. MD has gapless playback and no pop.

I really wish that portables would support OGG, that would be really nice. If the iPod supported OGG, that might be the enticement I need to add one to my collection of hardware.

Apr 9, 2003 at 5:38 PM Post #62 of 126
Quote:

Originally posted by TMC
Yeah I know what you meant, but on my MD mixed discs I rarely have more than 2 songs from the same album, so even if I had a 5-disc deck I'd had to swap quite a few cd:s to get one MD disc done. It's a good price though, too bad electronics are so expensive in Sweden I'd never see a deal like that over here.

Sweden eh? Well, it makes sense to go with Mp3's where electronics may be expensive in a country you live in
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2003 at 6:04 PM Post #63 of 126
Quote:

Originally posted by Watchdog
Fappar this is probably more than you bargained for but one thing I'd point out that no one else has.

You've got a number of people (Tina, Gloco, Mystyler, myself) arguing that MD is superior. TMC is the only person willing to argue that a flash player is better.

Go with the opinion of one person or many?

The majority is always right eh? I mean if he'd asked the same question in an mp3-forum, you think the results might be a bit different? Personally I'd rather see what kind of arguments that have been brought forth and see which applies best to me. Not that it matters to me what he chooses, I just wanted to share my experience about the subject and maybe stop someone from doing something he might regret if he agrees with me.

Apr 9, 2003 at 6:10 PM Post #64 of 126
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
Sweden eh? Well, it makes sense to go with Mp3's where electronics may be expensive in a country you live in
wink.gif

Yeah but MD-players are really cheap though, or how about an MZ-N10 for $380? (+$30 S&H)
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2003 at 6:18 PM Post #65 of 126
Quote:

Originally posted by TMC
Yeah but MD-players are really cheap though, or how about an MZ-N910 for $500?
biggrin.gif

$500? LOL...i'm actually considering one of those fancy Sharp units people have been talking about recently.

Apr 9, 2003 at 6:21 PM Post #66 of 126
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
$500? LOL...i'm actually considering one of those fancy Sharp units people have been talking about recently.

Sorry found a ridiculously high price on that, edited above
tongue.gif
It looks like there's a new audio importer in the EU market, they're for example selling MD:s for $80-100 less than the local shops. I suggest all EU-habitants check out www.fastronic.com, dunno how serious a company they are though.

Apr 10, 2003 at 8:10 AM Post #67 of 126
Quote:

Originally posted by Watchdog

You've got a number of people (Tina, Gloco, Mystyler, myself)

I'm pro whatever suits you the best. Wait a second. Did you mean me or yourself? Bugger this name.
frown.gif

Apr 10, 2003 at 9:13 AM Post #68 of 126
I dunno, but I looked heavily at MD. One of the main reasons that set me back is that I do not want to sit around to record a disk and be limited to how many songs I can fit in a single MD disk.

This brings me memories of how I used to make slow jam mix tapes.. recording in 1x speed real time; YUCK!

For me, Every CD I own, i've ripped to my computer using lame 256Kps. I load my current rotation of albums in my 10GB iPod and i'm done. I don't need to swap disks, I don't need to sit around waiting to record a disk. For me time is EVERYTHING.

For how *I* listen to music, mp3s are a godsend. I can have at any given time 100 of my favorite albums at my figertips and have room to spare.. No need to swap disks, no need to *remind* myself of recording an MD disk.

OH yes, when you factor in size.. It's no contest. I would much rather carry around a single ipod, with 2000 of my favorite songs, than an MD unit with 13 songs per disk.. Let's see.. how many disks would I need
rolleyes.gif

Don't give me that sounds better garbage as well. We all know that you are gonna use this as a PORTABLE. for me, function and portability is first, and sound is second. I mean, are we all really 'auditioning' and doing critical listening while we excersise or ride in the bus?

Plus, I don't think the gap is all that different. I would guarantee that you would find it difficult, if not impossible to differentiate an MD recording with a 256K Lame encoded mp3.

btw, it takes me exactly 9.8 SECONDS to download my latest CD album to my ipod.

as for ripping, using EAC and a P4 2.0 GHz, It takes about 6mins a disk. (Pioneer A05 DVD-R drive)

Apr 10, 2003 at 10:30 AM Post #69 of 126
This thread has moved faster than the regime failure in Iraq.
biggrin.gif

Like gloco, I have the Sony MXD-D5C; making mixes is a snap and sound quality from the encoding blows away any mp3 player's sonic capabilities. The MiniDisc format offers WAY more versatility, since you can record from virtually any source, anywhere. There's a whole new world to hear if you're an audio enthusiast, since MD is the only portable 'audiophile' format.

There's quite an activity in trading discs, and making new freinds around the world. We have this wonderful resource called the MiniDisc T-Board that is the friendliest Web forum on the planet. MD units are getting more and more popular, after a slow start. People are seeing the light......
smily_headphones1.gif

I think this thread clearly shows where most of our hearts are set.

Apr 10, 2003 at 11:25 AM Post #70 of 126
Heh, it's amazing to still see MP3 vs. MD threads. I see this one is ending up the same way as all the others too.
very_evil_smiley.gif

The answer for me remains the answer that was used in all the previous versions of this thread...it totally depends on your lifestyle moreso then the technology. I used to be an MD fanatic that listened portably quite often. I also had all the time in the world to go and painstakingly create mixes on MDs.

Nowdays all that has totally changed. I'm in a much busier lifestyle that barely affords me the chance to even listen to music on the go, much less get it prepared to listen on the go. I think if I tried to continue using MDs, I'd be listening to the same songs I created 3 years ago for the rest of my life. Nowdays, the fast drag and drop song swapping capabilities that flash players have actually better fits my lifestyle, much as I once despised them for the very reasons being stated by the MD users in this thread, like battery life, size of media, etc. All of a sudden, the battery life and media size of flash players is all I need, maybe even excessive.

I still say therefore, different strokes for different folks.
wink.gif

The whole computer price argument tack on to MP3 players is hilarious BTW, maybe moreso because I used it once. The flip side is, if it weren't for the internet and computers, can some MD owners here even own their latest and greatest N10 and E10s and Sharp 1 bit whatnots? So do those cost an extra $1k too in reality?
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2003 at 11:34 AM Post #71 of 126
The price argument is rediculous, I must say. DR7: NZ$400. Discs: NZ$200. That's cheap, from Japan. Same sorta source for an iPod is about the same. Another HDD portable is cheaper.

A guy called Andy on minidisc.org forums said 'the day I can't listen to one full CD is the day I quit something'. I agree!!

You can rip your CD in 9.8s. I don't care. I can listen to it *immediately*.

BTW: MD = Cassette recorder + CD player, in one delicious package.

Apr 10, 2003 at 11:57 AM Post #72 of 126
I like my $60 dollar Panasonic MP-70 CD/Mp3 player.

It has ID3 tag display, almost 50 hr battery life with just AA's, and a pretty decent 8mw headphone jack. I had an oldschool Sony MD player 4.5 ATRAC before and at its 5 mw, and I'd say the overall sound quality of LAME Mp3 with the Panasonic is even better. Before MD players typically always sounded better, but only because of so many crappy made in China Mp3 players. Sure not all Mp3 players have the same quality...only recently has things turned...but I'd say they've made a huge turn considering the price of that panasonic unit. Both the improving player/build quality, as well as advancements with LAME have leveled the playing ground while MD has turned the other way with their LP modes to try to compete as far as capacity.

I've tried quite a few Mp3 players, and the way in which they vary in sound quality differs FAR from MD players which having been established longer all essentially MUST reach a certain level of performance to even show up on the market. Not so for Mp3 players...even some of the most popular players are where they are because of features mainly. Some very popular ones having for example higher hiss or noise than you'd ever find in an MD player. In no way does that mean that all Mp3 players will sound bad however, it just means you need to work a little harder at finding the jewels. MD unit reviewing crowds are a little more focused on sound (and probably a bit too much on looks LOL), while Mp3 hardware reviewers are a bit too caught up on features...but eventually once those features are a little more standard, I'm sure sound will be a bigger focus.

Burning my Mp3 onto CDR's which beat ANYTHING in terms of price is a decent way of both organizing/storing my Mp3's, and being able to play them, all automatically ID3 tagged and all is quite nice.

Eh, I'm not too big about size...I carry around a small case for my player and my GBA and Ety's or PX100's, and I'm not so small a person for me to feel so impressed with thumbing an annoyingly small unit.

Honestly as far as the US goes, MD really only "made it big" over here once there was Mp3/NetMD support. Even Sony advertises their MD players as some of the most popularly bought Mp3 players lol.

Apr 10, 2003 at 4:57 PM Post #74 of 126
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
The whole computer price argument tack on to MP3 players is hilarious BTW, maybe moreso because I used it once. The flip side is, if it weren't for the internet and computers, can some MD owners here even own their latest and greatest N10 and E10s and Sharp 1 bit whatnots? So do those cost an extra $1k too in reality?
wink.gif

Wiseguy!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back