mp3 player 10 yr anniversary - your first??
Apr 3, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #16 of 135
This beauty 2001 or so. The next one was a creative Jukebox, then a full fledged 2g ipod.

4105Z1M1SWL._AA280_.jpg

Apr 3, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #17 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by kydsid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Being the huge techie that I am it is suprising to even me that my first mp3 player wasn't until 2006 and an iPod 5g.

I think I beat ya.
biggrin.gif
I somewhat consider myself a techie (or at least that's what people says), it's 2008 now and I still yet to have a DAP.
eek.gif
But I'm looking for one now.
smily_headphones1.gif

But anyway, apart from PC, my first thing I have that played MP3 is an Ericsson (not yet Sony Ericsson) accesory that takes MMC card, which I used with a Sony Ericsson T68i and later Sony Ericsson T610. The slightest nudge would disconnect it from the phone and it is really annoying, I used it for jogging and it took a lot of skill to keep it from getting disconnected.
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #18 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadHazard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was still using a phone (a W810i) for all my portable music needs. Then, a short while ago, I got myself a Sony NWZ-A818, which is, believe it or not, my first dedicated DAP. Before I thought that "why would I get a dedicated MP3 player when my phone does it just fine?". But now I see that it's just not the same. A true DAP is something else.

By 'something else" do you mean in the sound quality department?

At the moment I am using my Sony Ericsson K810i for MP3, I'm looking for a dedicated portable setup right now. I auditioned a few players and IEMs and while those DAP sounded better, the biggest jump in sound quality seems to come from better phones. But that's probably because my Sony MDR-70EX is incapable of revealing the goodness of a good DAP.

Apr 3, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #19 of 135
Rio Karma purchased at some point during 2003. Loved it and only recently had it die on me. Great UI, Gapless, FLAC support, customizable parametric EQ, etc, etc.

Apr 3, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #21 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By 'something else" do you mean in the sound quality department?

At the moment I am using my Sony Ericsson K810i for MP3, I'm looking for a dedicated portable setup right now. I auditioned a few players and IEMs and while those DAP sounded better, the biggest jump in sound quality seems to come from better phones. But that's probably because my Sony MDR-70EX is incapable of revealing the goodness of a good DAP.

By "something else" I mean sound quality, feeling (of having a real DAP instead of just a phone that happens to have MP3 player abilities), etc. It's just nice to have a device that's made to do one single thing as good as possible: playing music (ok, most DAPs also play video, but that's really a secondary feature). A mobile phone has to be good at so many other things as well, while still not costing insanely much. Of course that will bring down the quality of its individual functions. And while it's true a good pair of headphones can do extremely much, there's still a major difference between my phone (W810i) and my DAP (NWZ-A818) when using the same canalphones (Denon AH-C551). While the sound of the W810i isn't bad (except for the excessive hissing, and the popping when changing tracks), the A818 just sounds much better. It's more clear, open, engaging, etc, etc.

The phone you're using for portable music right now isn't even a Walkman phone, and SonyEricsson are known for not making any phones that are really good in both the music and camera departments. It's one or the other. If you get a music phone (W series) you won't get a very good camera, and if you get a camera phone (K series) the sound quality of the music player won't be as good. They're tricky like that.

Apr 3, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #22 of 135
Have your musical tastes changed because of mp3?

I love classical music and opera but find those musical genres don't translate well to mp3... so I listen to the cd's at home.

My player(s) contain mostly jazz, show tunes, ballads etc. and videos... I'll gladly watch a movie on my Sony during a long flight.

Anyone else notice a change in their musical listening?

Apr 3, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #23 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadHazard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By "something else" I mean sound quality, feeling (of having a real DAP instead of just a phone that happens to have MP3 player abilities), etc. It's just nice to have a device that's made to do one single thing as good as possible: playing music (ok, most DAPs also play video, but that's really a secondary feature). A mobile phone has to be good at so many other things as well, while still not costing insanely much. Of course that will bring down the quality of its individual functions. And while it's true a good pair of headphones can do extremely much, there's still a major difference between my phone (W810i) and my DAP (NWZ-A818) when using the same canalphones (Denon AH-C551). While the sound of the W810i isn't bad (except for the excessive hissing, and the popping when changing tracks), the A818 just sounds much better. It's more clear, open, engaging, etc, etc.

The phone you're using for portable music right now isn't even a Walkman phone, and SonyEricsson are known for not making any phones that are really good in both the music and camera departments. It's one or the other. If you get a music phone (W series) you won't get a very good camera, and if you get a camera phone (K series) the sound quality of the music player won't be as good. They're tricky like that.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.
smily_headphones1.gif

Haven't try a W series phone, but apart from some features like Mega Bass I doubt they sound very much different. Just like apart from having near focus ability and flash, I doubt the K series phone take better photos (they all use tiny sensors).

But I guess very soon I'd know what you mean, looking really closely on either a Sony or a Toshiba now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #26 of 135
First player that I actually used on a daily bases was Creative Labs Muvo V100. Then I "upgraded" to a first generation Zune when they were on sale from woot. I've since "downgraded" back to a PCDP since I can't stand the Zune.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 3, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #27 of 135
Mine was a Rio Fuse. It was a nice player, but the 128 MB was pretty limiting. Returned that and went for an iRiver iFP-190. Now that was a solid player.

Apr 3, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #28 of 135
I bought one of the original iPods and they were HUGE. I had a 5gb, and my dad traded it out after we found it last year for a $50 (maybe $100) credit from the Apple store to buy his new iPod Nano.

Apr 3, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #29 of 135
Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra 30 gig.

Bought it in 2002 with money from Christmas. It still works like a charm, has a new battery and eventually a new hard-drive (when the internal one fails). Only problem with the unit is that it is HUGE in comparison to players today. So many great memories.

Nylan

Apr 3, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #30 of 135
My first portable music player is the Creative ZEN Nano Plus 512 MB. I still have it and it works pretty well. I mostly use my 3G iPod nano (8 GB) nowadays, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back