Mother nature hates me!
Apr 22, 2010 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

balderon

1000+ Head-Fier
Two years ago I had a swarm of honey bees invade one corner of my roof (right above the master suite). At the time I had the bees exterminated as it's not practical to attempt to harvest the hive plus most wild bees here are Africanized. The bee guy said he saw a hive just inside my roof next to the vents. At the time I couldn't afford to have the hive removed so I decided to leave it there. BAD mistake (read on).

About a year later I started being bothered by an annoying woodpecker. He keeps pecking on my home usually at 5am for at least a half hour. I didn't realize it at that time but the woodpecker was trying to get to the honey. I tried everything I could think of to scare away the bird. Woodpeckers are a protected species and I could not find any company willing to obtain the special permit needed to trap the bird. Each time I heard the bird pecking I went outside to see if I could do something to scare it away. But as soon as I got remotely near, it would fly away.

Eventually he made a hole large enough to gain access to my attic.
frown.gif
I would hear him scratching and pecking at my rafters where the old bee hive was. Fortunately there was a few very hot days when my attic temperature becomes very uncomfortable. Usually a bird will seek a cooler environment. That was my chance! One day in the afternoon it was very hot out and I knew the woodpecker was not in the attic. I covered the access hole with heavy mesh wire and secured firmly. I thought to myself "Peck through that you [insert numerous expletives here] bird". The woodpecker continued to peck on my home. At this point I was getting desperate. I knew the bird would do major damage to my home if I didn't do something.

I placed two large old fashioned rat traps (large mouse traps) near the point were the bird was pecking. This also happened to be the closest to the old bee hive. The traps were never triggered but the frequency at which the bird would visit my home was slowed down.

For the last two weeks I have been hearing weird noises in the bedroom at night. Last Sunday, I checked outside and discovered a swarm of honey bees once again making a home inside my roof.
mad.gif
I found a bee guy to come out Tuesday to exterminate the bees. Joy Joy even more lost work plus the expense.

Two days later, even more fun. The bee guy killed the bees but he said they did build a hive. He told me most likely the old hive attracted the bees to my roof. It was like an invitation for another bee colony to take up residence. You may ask, how do you get rid of the hive. Well that sucks too. The bee guy cut a 4 foot hole in my roof to extract the hive. There was about 5 pounds of fresh honey and wax in the new hive. He also was able to gain access to the old hive. He estimated there was close to 20 pounds of old honey under my roof!!! I am getting really cranky for my stupidity two years ago!

To complicate matters, there was a different area of my roof that had bees 2 years ago and I didn't want to have the bee guy cut another hole in the roof but common sense told me to bite the bullet. I asked the bee guy to open up the roof at that old site and remove anything he found. Well there was no hive but he did find about 150 dead bees under the roof. I suppose that was good news
confused.gif

So far the cost for exterminating the bees and cleaning out my roof was a mere 500$. Another company then repairs the roof after the bee guy is done. (I decided to go with the recommended repair company because I didn't have the time to shop around). To repair the roof they have to square up the hole and cut it larger to certain sizes due to some sorta building codes. To cost to repair the holes was another 1000$.

I was told by the contractor that he would be unable to make the repairs on the roof until two days. This is not what I understood when I agreed to have the holes cut in my roof! The contractor covered the holes with plastic and secured with roof tiles.

To add insult to injury there are dark storm clouds in the area and there is a 30%+ chance of rain today and tomorrow. The contractor stopped by today (at my request) to ensure the plastic is adequately attached to the roof to protect my home in case of rain. At the time of this post, no rain has fallen! Tomorrow the contractor should be here in the morning to fix the roof!

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #3 of 24
I agree w/ J W, that was a great story.
smile.gif

My favorite part was how you kept saying "the bee guy."
tongue.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #4 of 24
I thought this was going to turn into a wild story about killer bees and homicidal woodpeckers!

We had a similar issue with squirrels eating their way into our roof... So the guy came by and cleaned out the hole and made sure there were no squirrels inside and patched it up with a plastic cover. So then it rained the next day and the squirrels ate through the plastic cover and took shelter in our crawl space. So we murdered that roof guy and then we had it sealed up with metal before they came back to pretty well redo all the lining.

It wasn't hugely expensive, but it's not as if we like spending money on freakin' squirrels pooping in my crawlspace!

Apr 22, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #5 of 24
Dang, bro! That is a crazy story, and a lesson for the rest of us.

Best of luck getting your roof (and your life) back to normal.

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #7 of 24
That is epic. Bad for you but it was quite interesting. I'm sorry for the expenses, i don't like spending money on things could have been prevented either. That's why my wife and i are not having kids for a while.
tongue.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #8 of 24
Pepsi that is funny, "Not having kids for a while". LOL It is kinda funny that little critters can make such a mess of things. Funny story but sadly a pain in the..... Maybe you could call that guy on TV, "Billy the Exterminator".
!

Apr 22, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #9 of 24
Oh sure, now you did it!!!

Now the bees will make friends with the fireflies and attack at night!!!!
eek.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

"Peck through that you [insert numerous expletives here] bird"

person son of a bitch!

That sucks. I had them in an exterior wall between two studs a few years ago. I figured something was very wrong when I heard a strong, collective hum emitting from the wall. I knew something was wrong when I felt the wall and it was HOT. Bees give off some serious heat.

I drilled a few holes in the drywall and gassed them. I bet the honey is still there.

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #11 of 24
At an apartment complex I used to live at, woodpeckers would make noises like power tools against the siding. One fellow in the next building got so irate that he blasted one of them with a shotgun - within city limits. I was told the story at work by his son. Later, on an unrelated trip around that building, I found the 20-gauge shell.
ph34r.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At an apartment complex I used to live at, woodpeckers would make noises like power tools against the siding. One fellow in the next building got so irate that he blasted one of them with a shotgun - within city limits. I was told the story at work by his son. Later, on an unrelated trip around that building, I found the 20-gauge shell.
ph34r.gif

Jesus, i guess some people really need their sleep!

Train a hawk/eagle. Problem Solved.

Apr 23, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by J W /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Such a story! I love the bit about the woodpecker. This has old school cartoon written all over it!

When I joke about it with my buds for some odd reason I get this mental image of myself as Elmer Fudd hiding in a bush waiting to ambush the woodpecker
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2bwire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you get to keep the honey and comb?

It would not be wise to ask the beekeeper (umm "bee guy") to give me the hive and the honey. The bees were exterminated and as far as I was concerned anything associated with the bees was poison.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That sucks. I had them in an exterior wall between two studs a few years ago. I figured something was very wrong when I heard a strong, collective hum emitting from the wall. I knew something was wrong when I felt the wall and it was HOT. Bees give off some serious heat.

I drilled a few holes in the drywall and gassed them. I bet the honey is still there.

Oh man! It takes only a couple of weeks before the hive starts breaking down. Didn't you see any honey oozing down the wall perhaps through an outlet cover or some other opening in the drywall? A fully established bee colony here in AZ can produce over 70 pounds of honey per year! I would hate to think how much honey is between those studs!

I hope your luck continues to be better than mine was!

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #15 of 24
Not at all surprising in AZ; some of the houses have such angular roof layouts that you may be able to get to the 'main' roof but not to other parts of the roof. They even block them off to slow the spread of fire.

I had a similar issue with a beehive in the eaves; a hive bigger than my head. You find a couple of dead bees all of a sudden by your porch light, do a walk around and surprise! The bees also had honey inside my house and the guy cut out the eave boards/stucco to extract the honey. They poisoned the bees for a few days before taking the hive down so I doubt the honey is edible at that point. It's good to get the honey out as it will spoil in the heat and attract ants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back