Most transperent,true to source headphones?
Aug 23, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #61 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kmhaynes, no, there's no way to compare headphones against the studionsound of every recording. However, some of us have been around lots and lots of live music. I started playing clarinet at nine and am 37 now. I've picked up several other instruments along the way and have probably spent several years of my life in rehearsals and performances. If something sounds like what I've experienced, then it's a pretty safe bet that it's accurate with other music, too.

That's my experience too, as a former jazz drummer and a semi-pro guitar player for many years. I know what the sound of brushes on a snare drum should sound like, and which headphone sounds most like the real thing. Of all the ones I've heard it's definitely the 240DF. Of course you can't account for the choice of mics and mic placement and the room the recording was done in, but if a particular headphone consistently sounds like the 'real thing' with many, many different recordings, then you come to the conclusion that it's the most transparent. I can hear the way the particular sound signature of various other hps colors the sound of a snare...the v6 making it too crispy with it's upper mid boost, and the RP21 making it a bit too smooth and warm...the 240S too dull. Of course my ears are not the same as anyone else's so, YMMV.

Aug 23, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #62 of 69
That must be the Stax 4070.
With the AKG K1000 and Stax SR-007(BL) as really strong runner-ups.

Aug 23, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #63 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrOutside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT880
ER4S
K1000
HE90
HD800
in that order IMO. the 880 is top because its frequency response is flat, even though it is outperformed by every other phone listed. Same with ER4S, its detail isnt huge
The DT48 is not a music headphone, and is designed with a flat frequency response but rolled off highs. The human ear does not hear flat and this is why I have not included it.

The a version does have a severe high roll off, not so much with the e.. So the DT880/ER4s are musical?

Aug 23, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #64 of 69
@Jazz... Now that you consider the HD800 to be a really transparent and accurate phone, do you still like the K701? Or is it gathering dust? Time will tell, but the HD800 does seem to be the holy grail of headphones! Now, when shall we hit the ceiling when it just can't get any better?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 23, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #65 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... except where you said "Listen to a high-end speaker system that measures perfectly flat 20-20" because that doesn't exist.
atsmile.gif

It does, actually, though it's rare. There are some truly top-notch mastering studio systems where you can pretty much absolutely trust what you hear. And there are only a handful of those.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't that really depend on the studio conditions, mic placement, EQing, damping, etc.. Aerosmith's permanent vacation (original CD) sounds very bright, thin, & instruments are more 'compact', albeit, the vocals were mic well.. Switch to Donna Summer's Bad Girls, (original CD) The sound is, wet, lush, full, with warmth & great separation.. Then Billy Oceans Suddenly, (original CD) is right in between the both of them.

Yes, it very much depends on the recording. But the system should not desaturate the tone color that is there, or reduce the dynamic range that's already present in the recording. A lot of the so-called "accurate" gear that's touted around here as being true to source does that in a vicious manner and it really doesn't matter what you play through it - everything sounds clinical and sterile. An accurate system needs to be able to present a realistic recording in a realistic manner, and that realism includes a lot of qualities which are commonly associated here with colored or "musical" (I hate that word) gear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ephemere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Except the part about "flat 20-20". There's a lot more to achieving transparency in speaker design than a flat frequency response. Take a look at the suite of measurements that John Atkinson takes for Stereophile's speaker reviews. There are many dimensions beyond the steady-state nearfield on-axis frequency response, and they're all important to achieving transparency.

True, but I was simplifying to make my point. There absolutely is a lot more to it than just FR.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Transparency is probaby my favorite quality when I look for transducers and I've built my rig around it.

The truly transparent headphones I've listened to are the HD-800, K-1000, HP-1000, Omega II Mk. 1, DT48, and the K-240DF. That's why I bought them and they won't leave my collection.

The K-701/2 has some transparency, but the problem is that it doesn't get the notes right. There's a weird coloration in the vocal range I was never able to get used to. The K-601 is a much better headphone in my opinion.

kmhaynes, no, there's no way to compare headphones against the studionsound of every recording. However, some of us have been around lots and lots of live music. I started playing clarinet at nine and am 37 now. I've picked up several other instruments along the way and have probably spent several years of my life in rehearsals and performances. If something sounds like what I've experienced, then it's a pretty safe bet that it's accurate with other music, too. Further, I've xompared these against a couple of damn flat speakers. The Verhagen ribbons are ruler flat from 350Hz up and the Quad ESL-63s can put out perfect squarewaves without blinking. If a headphone jibes with what I've heard as well as the ribbons and Quads, I judge it to be pretty damn good.

I agree with the opinion that flat gear isn't boring at all. Colored gear is what - eventually - gets boring. Certain colorations are engineered into a huge amount of gear. That's done to make people say "wow!" and buy during a 15 or 20 minute audition. Eventually, you get used to the coloration, get bored with it, and then start looking for the next piece of gear that immediately grabs you. Most people assume they need to spend more, too, and that terminates in a spiral of upgraditis.

The transparent and neutral gear almost never grabs you at first listen. You have to live with it for awhile before it sinks in that it doesn't place a wrong foot anywhere. The problem is that the neutral and transparent gear gets passed over by many on first listen, rhen they buy something colored and go wild posting about how great it is. Then six or twelve months later, they'll be raving about something else.

It's something of a paradox, but the only way to appreciate a piece of gear in the long term is to buy what might not sound great in the first place. Neutral and transparent gear is the only way of the upgraditis treadmill and will let you enjoy your music without having to constantly reassess your gear or setup.

That's pretty much my view as well. Colorations grab you on first listen and can sound impressive but over time they start to annoy and you just want to hear the recording as it is without anything getting in the way.

Also agree on a lot of accurate gear being unimpressive on first listen. A great example is the O2 - it doesn't have the "wow" factor of a lot of other similar-level systems (i.e. HE90) but over time you start to hear just how multi-faceted and accurate its presentation really is. The HD600 is another good example of it, it is still a studio standby to this day and there's a very good reason for that. It's too bad that I don't have the right rig for the K1000 since it is also capable of that kind of accuracy though its bass doesn't go down quite all the way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, if transparency and neutrality is two different adjective, would one consider the Etymotic ER4P/S to be neutral, or transparent?

IMO, neither. It is very hyperdetailed but that's due to very exaggerated highs and rather poor transients. It shoves its inner detail forward in a way that really makes you think that you're hearing things in your music that you've never heard before, but there are some other transducers that can also resolve inner detail to the same or greater level but not at the expense of tone, neutrality, or realistic transients.

But it's possible that I never got a good seal with it and never heard it at its best.

Aug 23, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #66 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhanja_trinanjan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Jazz... Now that you consider the HD800 to be a really transparent and accurate phone, do you still like the K701? Or is it gathering dust?

Actually both. I still like it – like a good friend –, but now with the HD 800 I have troubles to listen to any other headphone again. That was already the case when I was less satisfied with the sound (due to its initial sharpness and stridency), because in terms of accuracy (transient response) and tonal balance it was/is simply superior.

Quote:

Time will tell, but the HD800 does seem to be the holy grail of headphones! Now, when shall we hit the ceiling when it just can't get any better?
smily_headphones1.gif

I have no idea. But technically the HD 800 is indeed a very sophisticated transducer. Maybe it gets better with respect to a more universally accepted, more euphonic sonic balance using the same technology – since the HD 800 isn't everybody's darling, although the technical qualities are barely disputed.

Aug 23, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #68 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But it's possible that I never got a good seal with it and never heard it at its best.

That's quite possible. At least your description doesn't fit my modified pair of ER-4P, which is very neutral and accurate, just a bit dull on top without equalization.

Aug 23, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #69 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhanja_trinanjan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Jazz... Now that you consider the HD800 to be a really transparent and accurate phone, do you still like the K701? Or is it gathering dust? Time will tell, but the HD800 does seem to be the holy grail of headphones! Now, when shall we hit the ceiling when it just can't get any better?
smily_headphones1.gif

The HD-800 has sent everything back to their boxes in my house. The HF-2 showed up a couple weeks after the HD-800. It got a few hours before taking its spot next to the HF-1 in my closet. Even the speakers have been getting a rest lately.

Time will tell and I know I'll eventually put the others back into rotation, but the HD-800 is a superior headphone. I had zero plans to buy one initially. I thought they were overpriced and wouldn't be worth the cost increase over the HD-650. I was wrong.

HeadRoom had a very nice listening room at CanJam, and I went in expecting to confirm my belief that the HD-800 was an overpriced novelty. I gave them a listen and thought they were alright. Then I switched to the HD-650 they also had there. The difference was immediate. I switched back and forth and found the HD-800 clearly better. Later, I borrowed a HD-800 and put it through my rig with my music. It was wonderful. From there, it took a couple weeks of dithering before I sold several headphones I truly loved and bought the HD-800. Since then, I've listened to the HD-800 almost exclusively. I don't regret selling the other headphones to buy it, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back