Most overrated headphones of all time?
Jul 26, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #31 of 121

Quote:
Both the HD650s and HD800s are great phones...as long as you rip off the stock cables and throw them far, far away.  Wrote up a review about my own experience with them here.

Agreed on the Beyers.

ohhh boy! If the sound didn't do it for you originally then a replacement cable is not going to help things IMO. Rather overrated headphones seems to be a more logical reason.

Quote:
I bought a pair of Goldring DR150s based on a 5-minute listening test and universally positive reviews. They are pure crapola. Ear-piercing highs, sibilance, tinny, blah, blah, blah. Break-in matters not. My only true waste of money.

Was rather disappointed with these myself as well. Was a real big shame, just sounded dull and i wouldn't have said they have ear piercing highs particularly but they certainly are a bit blaahhhhh

Overrated:
Bose
Skullcandy
Monster
Goldring DR-150
Sennheiser (HD595, HD650)

Jul 26, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #32 of 121

Quote:
I agree with you guys...had some hopes...but this thread is a FAIL.

Gee... I don't know about that. It allowed me to see TheWuss's new avatar. That's gotta be worth something.
wink_face.gif

Nice shot TW. I like the engraved name.

shane

Jul 26, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #33 of 121
Why is everyone saying that bose, skullcandy and monsters are overrated here?
I think those headphones must have received 100x more bash than praise on head-fi and I may be underestimating the bash count :)

Jul 26, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #34 of 121

Quote:
Both the HD650s and HD800s are great phones...as long as you rip off the stock cables and throw them far, far away.  Wrote up a review about my own experience with them here.

Agreed on the Beyers.

I am pretty sure they are amazing headphones without the snake oil... Depends what you want to focus on though.

You can convince yourself that there is something more to be found and focus on spending hundreds on cables, or you can just be happy and focus on enjoying the damned headphone for what it is.

In the end, either person wins, but one person's wallet loses. Both achieve the exact same experience. A great headphone is a great headphone.

That being said, have you read my impressions of "audiophile air" that you fill a room with, or the gap between and ear and headphone, to improve PRaT, air and dynamics? The air is only the purest, freshest air from the tip top of mount Everest, hand picked by yeti.

At several thousand dollars and many, many uses, I am sure you can see how it is a great value. In fact, after spending 700,000 on a private yet, yeti language lessons, a compressed air tank and a pair of HD 600, I have heard the HD 600 perform on levels no other has. Definitely much better than with stock air, so I would say it is worth the cost and encourage many to do the same.

Currently I am in the process of writing a book, as the differences as so vast that head-fi would crash. Readers : Please feel free to PM me for signed copies.

Jul 26, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #35 of 121

Quote:
I think those headphones must have received 100x more bash than praise on head-fi and I may be underestimating the bash count :)

Here they are overly bashed, but many people legitematly think they are amazing, and that is the issue.

Bose is particularly bad in this respect as they cost an arm and a leg and sound mediocre.

My friend has a pair of skullcandies that were a bit over 100 and to be fair they sounded like what I would expect a 100$ box store headphone to sound like... some thing like a sony monitor ... not terrible.

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #36 of 121
This thread is way overrated and, created for, what would seem to be to me, another chance for some hd800 hate in efforts to spread the venom to, as I see it , drive the market price down for the hd800 so they(the hate mongers) may reap many benefits of a reduced for sale forum price and this is disturbing. 

I agree with the others...I had such high hopes for this thread but, to this point, THIS THREAD is a bit disappointing(sigh).

In the interest of keeping with this thread's original poster's subject matter though, I've never been dissatisfied or disappointed or let down with a headphone because I never base expectations on what others say prior to my listening.  I simply do not expect anyone to be able to hear music through a headphone as I would as I would not expect any single person to explain the details of any single event in the same manner.  We are simply all individuals.

Having said that, I must say, the majority of my dear friends on head-fi do an extremely fine job of describing the sound reproduction qualities and/or shortcomings of each headphone and they are human and therefore subject to excitability by their passions as am I.  Having said that, I am so thankful for head-fi and it's members for taking the time to explain what they hear-it is a pleasure that I can't resist and appreciate immensely.

PS...listening to my "Overrated HD800s" now...."Money", "Pink Floyd", "Dark Side Of The Moon"....deliciously accurate.

Thanks

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #37 of 121
K-701/2
PS-1000
Every Ultrasone (yes, I've heard Ed. 8 and Ed. 9)
Those marginal 700 and 900 Audio Technicas that are constantly flogged to new members

Possibly the T1.  I need to spend more time with one.

Also, there are some particularly hideous-sounding custom "art" headphones out there, too, but I think I've fanned the flames enough for today.

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #38 of 121
Quote:

Yeah, I do not get that either!
To be overrated a product need to be high rated by a lot of people in the first place, and I do not see how that is true for products from the above mentioned vendors.

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #39 of 121

Quote:
K-701/2
PS-1000
Every Ultrasone (yes, I've heard Ed. 8 and Ed. 9)
Those marginal 700 and 900 Audio Technicas that are constantly flogged to new members

Possibly the T1.  I need to spend more time with one.

Also, there are some particularly hideous-sounding custom "art" headphones out there, too, but I think I've fanned the flames enough for today.

^ what he said.

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #41 of 121
L3000.
I heard a lots of good words about them.
Once I heard them,I was totally disappointed.
They are great but not that great.

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #42 of 121

That being said, have you read my impressions of "audiophile air" that you fill a room with, or the gap between and ear and headphone, to improve PRaT, air and dynamics? The air is only the purest, freshest air from the tip top of mount Everest, hand picked by yeti.

At several thousand dollars and many, many uses, I am sure you can see how it is a great value. In fact, after spending 700,000 on a private yet, yeti language lessons, a compressed air tank and a pair of HD 600, I have heard the HD 600 perform on levels no other has. Definitely much better than with stock air, so I would say it is worth the cost and encourage many to do the same.

Better than air from Mt. Everest would be air from The Cavern Club in Liverpool (complete with all the smoke, of course), or perhaps, Mozart's house in Salzburg.

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #43 of 121
overrated as mentioned doesn´t mean the worst headphone ever or the most expensive headphone...  It´s directly related to the amount of hype in forums like this!

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #44 of 121
The talk of DR150's has got me nervous. I have heavily considered buying a pair soon.

I would have to agree with quite a lot of people on here though, the iBuds and skullcandy are the biggest 2 overrated ones, at least with my limited knowledge.

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #45 of 121
The dead horse beating continues: K701.

All Ultrasone's I've heard (doesn't include Edition 8)
SR225
DT880
Shures (all of them, save what I haven't heard, so all the IEMs. Haven't heard their full-size.)
DT880s.

In the real world: Bose, Sony, Skullcandy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back