Most Natural Sounding 701/2 or the 650?
Jun 29, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #76 of 114
I totally unfoamed my HD650 and recable it. It now sounds really natural, but certainly lacking the "kick" and all the dynamics of the live sound (maybe cause of my "slow" amp). I don't really find it colored.
Compared to my K701, it's obviously more balanced across spectrum but is it more neutral ? simply because of that, yes.
Where the K701 excel, it's in voice reproduction... so real life.
I wouldn't talk about soundstage as for me, it has nothing to do with neutrality. It's like comparing speakers with headphone...

Jun 29, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #77 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by parhelictriangle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So your argument is that anytime an electric impulse is involved in the sound creation stage, it's not a "natural" source.

No, that would be your straw man argument.

Have fun with your smug self satisfaction, but maybe look back and see that this guitar nonsense stemmed from my comment "Being able to sound like a PA system is not natural, it's just being able to sound like a PA system."

I wouldn't have rioted, but I don't much care for the rite of spring or Stravinsky in general.

I've added my last.fm to my sig, so no need to speculate further.
wink.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #78 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, that would be your straw man argument.

Have fun with your smug self satisfaction, but maybe look back and see that this guitar nonsense stemmed from my comment "Being able to sound like a PA system is not natural, it's just being able to sound like a PA system."

I wouldn't have rioted, but I don't much care for the rite of spring or Stravinsky in general.

I've added my last.fm to my sig, so no need to speculate further.
wink.gif

That wasn't a straw man argument. Here's your full post: Quote:

Being able to sound like a PA system is not natural, it's just being able to sound like a PA system.

I think the only really way to measure naturalness is in reproducing un-amplified sound.

You make a comment that appears deliberately offensive to a lot of modern musicians (myself included) and essentially states that the entire, hugely-complex and variable timbral signature of something like an electric guitar through a meticulously set-up amplifier with a specifically-selected and voiced speaker is essentially worthless sonic information. The ability to reproduce those very real sound waves and that very complex timbral information has no bearing on whether the headphones are "natural." Wonderful. And I'm the smug one.

If you weren't attempting a troll based on that quote above (and I'll assume you weren't), then all I can say is we can agree to disagree on that subject and I wish you all the best. Just hope you can see why some of us might get a little defensive on the point you made, even if it was made with the best of intentions.

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #80 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, so what you are implying is that you can fix the issues of the HD650 with recabling/changing your source and you can't with the K701? Despite the fact that there's plenty of good, warm amps, both tube and solid state, that pairs well with the K701? Some at a very affordable price?

This is the biggest load of BS I have ever seen on head-fi. I'll tell you what I thinl about the HD650: it's a downgrade from the HD600. I am not the only one with that opinion. But you don't see me go around creating topics slamming the HD650.

Co-signed.
popcorn.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #81 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by brokensound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Co-signed.
popcorn.gif

I believe the bass problem on the 701 can be fixed with tubes mainly and maybe a new cable but the tilted mids is another story, I'm at a loss as to how to fix that one. Only thing I can think of is to use EQ to relax the mids a bit and even that is more of a patch then a solution.

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #82 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeMat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I totally unfoamed my HD650 and recable it. It now sounds really natural, but certainly lacking the "kick" and all the dynamics of the live sound (maybe cause of my "slow" amp). I don't really find it colored.
Compared to my K701, it's obviously more balanced across spectrum but is it more neutral ? simply because of that, yes.
Where the K701 excel, it's in voice reproduction... so real life.
I wouldn't talk about soundstage as for me, it has nothing to do with neutrality. It's like comparing speakers with headphone...

I wonder if recable the 650 can eliminate boost of 6+db in the low mid bass area, or boost the other frequencies by 6+db to get the balanced sounds of the K701 .

Some members are under the impression that dark and veiled sounds is the natural sound...

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #83 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if recable the 650 can eliminate boost of 6+db in the low mid bass area, or boost the other frequencies by 6+db to get the balanced sounds of the K701 .

Some members are under the impression that dark and veiled sounds is the natural sound...

My equinox reduce bass weight which is why I think people call it bloated, it also added impact. Basically the entire sound became more dynamic and clear.

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #84 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My equinox reduce bass weight which is why I think people call it bloated, it also added impact. Basically the entire sound became more dynamic and clear.

We still taking here a minimum of 6+db on the low mid bass.

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #85 of 114
Quote:

A couple of seasoned audiophile mates of mine who are not hardcore headphone listeners loved my 701s over the 650s.

One of them commented that the 650s (even through the EF1) sounded like a typical mid-fi component. He says it was "AV sounding" with it's coloured bass.i.e. the kind of sound you get in your typical BestBuy store.

Jun 29, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #86 of 114
What?

Do you really need to ask that???

AKG k701/2 are one of the most neutral, lifelike and realistic headphones man has ever built.

No question.
I guess many listeners here are not much used to (unplugged) live music. What a pity.

The in-your-ear sennh bass has nothing to do with nature. On the other hand, k701 give you such a detailed soundstage. If you thnk it's ureal, well, or the phone is not amplified properly or you're not used to true stages. I'm not flaming anybody, but "I like it" does not mean it's "natural".
Someone says they aren't good with rock because guitars sound far. Well, they sound were they would sound if you were listenin' to a guitar concert. the cabinet would be there. If you prefer to have them electric guitars blasting your skull to make your air guitar sessions more enjoyable, OK, everybody has got his own tastes, but that's absolutely not "natural".

Jun 29, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #87 of 114
Quote:

Recabling no, but getting rid of the driver foam yes.
At the end, it's getting close to the K701 but withtout the agressive Hi-mids and of course, with hi-bass (i'm not complaining about the K701 deep bass which are amazing)

Jun 29, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #88 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by triode12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A couple of seasoned audiophile mates of mine who are not hardcore headphone listeners loved my 701s over the 650s.

One of them commented that the 650s (even through the EF1) sounded like a typical mid-fi component. He says it was "AV sounding" with it's coloured bass.i.e. the kind of sound you get in your typical BestBuy store.

What tube was in the EF-1 when you tested the 2 headphones?

Jun 29, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #90 of 114
So the original question was which one is the most natural sounding headphone. I would say the 650 is hands down "better" sounding headphone for music. I'm not sure either are "natural" sounding.

If my job was to analyze surreptitious recordings of mobsters screening for clues I would hands down choose the 701's. They would excel at that task. As for music they sound tinny, plastic and "am radio"-like. "Natural" should never be found in the same sentence as "701".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back