most impactful bass ~$300
Jul 4, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #31 of 43
BTW I just tried the track you mentioned. This is a very nice track for testing bass! It reveals the weakness of the Hippo Boom, which I now realize is really mid-bass focused and not sub-bass focused. Well, can't really expect much at this price point, hehe.

Jul 4, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #32 of 43
My vote goes for the Denon D2000 with the MarkL mod and J$ pad. Properly amped (I'm using my KICAS) the BASS is very present and tight. I'm listening to Gotan Project "La Revancha Del Tango" album as I'm typing and it's a joy to listen. 

Jul 4, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #33 of 43
You might be right as I haven't heard Hippos I can not say anything. I'm fully aware that HD380 are not "easy" headphones and they won't get to all of us. But if someone is interested in buying them though, then there is one rule to follow -  Try before you buy. I can truly say that I like them - I do - and with the artist like Spor, Apex, Noisia. Calyx , Autchere, Squarepusher etc... the HD380's are my best "mates". Nothing else known me at this point can play this kind of music in so enjoyable way. Mochan - you right that we need midbas - to make the bas impactful, and the mid bass is well present[without being overwhelming] in HD380 but it goes in pair  with the lowest frequencies - making the whole impact so powerful.  Cheers.

Jul 4, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #34 of 43
Well anyway I'll have to try the HD380 out some day, but finding a pair will be nigh impossible.

Jul 5, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #36 of 43
LOL yeah that's about what I expected the Ultrasone to look like. :wink:

From that graph it doesn't seem like the HD380 would have much sub bass, but graphs don't tell the whole story and sometimes the soundmix just lets some sounds come out in an unexpected way. Since the other freqs are pretty low the sub bass portion is actually kind of bumped up. It must be the balance of the freqs that lets its sub bass really come out.

I'll keep the HD380 in mind until I can finally listen to one first hand.

Jul 5, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #37 of 43
I'm strangley drawn to frequency graphs lately.  My interpretation is that the pro 900 is indeed a bass lovers can - however if sub-bass is important - the Pro900 will not perceive much of any sub-bass simply because the midbass will drown it out (masking).  It is there - and more than HD380, but in fact will not be perceived as such.

The HD380 curve looks enticing - very flat with a natural rollof at the top, there is no lack in bass according to the graph and the bass will sound more natural because sub bass integrates well with midbass.

There is also a likelyhood that I am completey wrong.

Jul 5, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #38 of 43
The Pro 900's sub bass can be felt really good! I tested it out with Plants vs. Zombies (which strangely enough is how I test sub-bass) and the sub bass was deep and impactful.

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #39 of 43
Would it be too complicated to add the Pro 750 to the equation?  I'm considering all the Ultrasones for my next purchase, but I'm just starting to compare the Pro series to the HFI series.  As far as bass quantity (or tight-ness and extension) the Pro 900 is above the 750, but I can't seem to grasp what's comparable in the HFI series at that price point.  They all seem awesome! :/

Nov 22, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #40 of 43

Quote:
Would it be too complicated to add the Pro 750 to the equation?  I'm considering all the Ultrasones for my next purchase, but I'm just starting to compare the Pro series to the HFI series.  As far as bass quantity (or tight-ness and extension) the Pro 900 is above the 750, but I can't seem to grasp what's comparable in the HFI series at that price point.  They all seem awesome! :/

Can you read the date on the last post and determine your posts relevance beforehand next time please?

Nov 22, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #42 of 43

Quote:
Quote:

Can you read the date on the last post and determine your posts relevance beforehand next time please?

For a guy who wants to talk about relevant posts I think you're being a little bit hypocritical, as am I, the guy clearly didn't look at the dates but despite this his post is very relevant - unlike yours. Or this. I do not think your unhelpful and off response was necessary under the circumstances, the guy was asking for help and you nothing except give him a rollicking. Way to go, sheesh! If you're not going to post anything nice or even remotely helpful then save us all the hassle. There's enough drama in life without unhelpful uptight people on the net causing more. Give him a break and take your own advice mate. :)

Nov 22, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #43 of 43

Quote:
what about open headphones? whats the most impactfull bass cans i can get for under 250-300

I would have to say probably the Beyer DT 99 Pro's in all honesty as they have great bass for open headphones I can tell you that from experience. Excellent imaging and seperation too. If anyone knows of any open headphones with more bass than the DT 990 PRO do jump in! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back