most impactful bass ~$300
Jul 2, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #16 of 43

Quote:
Just to let you know, I believe there's a 780 in the FS forum now that's going for somewhere around $135 and a Pro 650 for $120 if they haven't been sold by now.

HF780 isn't what I'd call a bass monster. Very bright can with good bass but not monstrous bass. 

But I think the TS waned tighther, more defined bass... yeah 780 has that over the DT770-80.

But hey! Why not get the DT770 Premium!!

Jul 2, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #17 of 43
For my needs, they can't just be for bass-heavy electronic music.  They have to be well-rounded enough to handle all genres.  I'm not really a "basshead" per se, but find that realistic bass reproduction seems to be the biggest problem with headphones.  If the mids are recessed on the 580 they're right out.  Still, I can sacrifice a bit elsewhere in the sound signature to gain some nice, full bass.  I'm by no means a car audio guy, but I do expect that a live album actually sounds like being there.

Quote:
There can be even more bass thump in the 580 than there is in Monster Beats Studio, but at the same time having more crisp highs.

Heh... tried the Beats for the first time since getting my Darths two days ago.  I never thought the Studios sounded good overall, but the bass sounded like an absolute joke in comparison.  No extension and didn't hit nearly as hard.

Jul 2, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #19 of 43

Quote:
Heh... tried the Beats for the first time since getting my Darths two days ago.  I never thought the Studios sounded good overall, but the bass sounded like an absolute joke in comparison.  No extension and didn't hit nearly as hard.

I NEVER said the Beats sounded good. I was using the bass quantity as reference as it is easy to get an idea. Just go to Best Buy.
I also think Darth have less potential for bass impact than the HFI 580. However, I use my Cowon's MachBass EQ just to see how strong the bass could possibly hit. I have not heard anything that matched the HFI 580 in bass quantity yet. Course, I have not tried the PRO 900. I plan on getting it eventually.

ALSO, the PRO 650 has much less bass quantity than the 550. The 550 is definitely a more fun sounding headphone. At least for me.

I'd admit I can be a basshead, but I also be a detail-head.  Just depends on the music and my mood. I find that the HFI 580 and PRO 550 are very underrated. They do not sound muddy for their price.

Jul 2, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #20 of 43
The Pro 900 eats up the 780's bass and spits it out a crumpled, sorry heap. If the 580 is only around the bass of the 780, it is no match for the Pro 900.

Jul 3, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #21 of 43

Quote:
The Pro 900 eats up the 780's bass and spits it out a crumpled, sorry heap. If the 580 is only around the bass of the 780, it is no match for the Pro 900.

780's bass is no where near the quantity of 580's. But what you said is reassuring for me. I look forward to owning the 900s

Jul 3, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #22 of 43

Quote:
The Pro 650 has very well controlled bass better than the Pro 750. They provide a more isolation but it isn't something to write home about and they do leak a bit a higher volumes. The bass is great though. Soundstage is dependent on whether or not S logic works for you or not. They also have better mids and highs imo.

Agree, for me the 650 have the best bass in the Pro series. The 900 are great hps and they have a smoother highs and mids compare to the 650, but again they are bass monster.

Jul 3, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #23 of 43
Mind you when I say the Pro 900 eats up the 780 or what not, I am basically referring to bass quantity, impact and slam. I usually don't think in terms of the quality or texture or definition of the bass, which is what most people here seem to refer to when they say that a headphone's bass is "great."

I am a bass head, proud of it, and think mostly in terms of impact and thump. The Pro 900's bass is very thumpy and out thumps the 780 by a huge margin.

Jul 3, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #25 of 43
Jul 4, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #27 of 43
I know guys that this forum simply does not like HD 380 - but... I own PRO 750,I owned HFI780 and I tried PRO 900 and seriously the senns with their bass slap you harder than those ultrasone's - they do not have quantity of Ultrasones especially PRO 900 though. The HD380 seems to be focused on using only the lowest part of bass frequencies and this is where their power hit comes from. They are not perfect either - bad point of hd380 bass is that the upper bass almost does not exist in here and that makes them sound weird/unnatural with some records or instruments. Highs might be another issue for some of us  - they are no where near to grado's or ultrasone's highs - but they do exist - I would coll them "Sennheiser highs". Those senns really shine with all electronic genres - you will seriously feel the pressure and hit of low freq. I'm not saying buy them - but if you have a chance give them a try.  They are a bit to big for portable use but they do isolate well - according to Sennheiser up to 32dB. I'm using them with Sony X, S638 or samsung P3 - amplification is not necessary - they are quite efficient even with their 54 Ω impedance - but it helps to get the best out of them. 

Jul 4, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #28 of 43
Quote:
gigere said:

I would say give the Senn HD380 Pro a try. They do not have bass quantity of a PRO 900 or DT770 though - but impact... oh man... you will FEEL it :) 

Quote:
gigere said:

I know guys that this forum simply does not like HD 380 - but... I own PRO 750,I owned HFI780 and I tried PRO 900 and seriously the senns with their bass slap you harder than those ultrasone's - they do not have quantity of Ultrasones especially PRO 900 though. The HD380 seems to be focused on using only the lowest part of bass frequencies and this is where their power hit comes from. They are not perfect either - bad point of hd380 bass is that the upper bass almost does not exist in here and that makes them sound weird/unnatural with some records or instruments. Highs might be another issue for some of us  - they are no where near to grado's or ultrasone's highs - but they do exist - I would coll them "Sennheiser highs". Those senns really shine with all electronic genres - you will seriously feel the pressure and hit of low freq. I'm not saying buy them - but if you have a chance give them a try.  They are a bit to big for portable use but they do isolate well - according to Sennheiser up to 32dB. I'm using them with Sony X, S638 or samsung P3 - amplification is not necessary - they are quite efficient even with their 54 Ω impedance - but it helps to get the best out of them. 

So your saying the 380's have deep extended bass, yet very impactful/punchy? sounds interesting...

Jul 4, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #29 of 43
This is what I have experienced with my HD380 Pro... but as i wrote before - they might be weird sounding for some for many of reasons - they are not all-arounders at all. To me the best of them you can find with electronic and bas heavy music. The impact is allocated to the bottom end and it has a big power down there. Upper bass part is weak as I wrote before - so with most genres which are not focuesd on bass extension you can find HD380 a bit bass-lacking. Keep that in mind. I do not know how to de describe it perfectly... I'll give you an example - The Undertaker (Renholder Mix] by Puscifer - There is a bass playing in the "shadow" really deep one - barely heard with most of the headphones - but this bass plays nearly first line with HD380 - and this is where the impact comes from. They really shine here. If you have them in the shop close to you - go and try them on. Let me know what do you think.

Jul 4, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #30 of 43
Your description of the HD380 makes it sound like the Hippo VB. The Hippo VB was nowhere near as satisfying for me as, say, the Hippo Boom which had tons of midbass in addition to lower bass.

For me I can't get off on just lower bass. Well, I can, but it's nowhere as slamming or as impactful as when a lot of midbass is also present. I can't understand how something can be more impactful without midbass than something that has a ton of it.

But I can understand what you mean by it not being a satisfying can unless the music has a ton of sub bass. The VBs were like that. I only liked them when I was using them to Plants vs. Zombies, which has a music track that has some earth shattering sub bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back