Most Durable earbuds around $30
Nov 23, 2010 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

jamestsao

New Head-Fier
Ok, so heres my situation. I listen to music regularly due to having a long commute to college, and i've been through a lot of earbuds. I've been through 2 pairs of radius atomic bass, vmoda bass freq's, they all broke in the same place, the connector shorted and only 1 side plays. I had to rma the radius after 3 weeks, then the second pair died in about a month. I'm looking for a pair with good bass. I listen to mostly metal and some hiphop. I have a budget of 30 bucks but will go higher if they are truly worth it. I am considering fixing the connectors myself with some tools at radioshack but the sound quality of those still haven't really satisfied me. The vmodas were pretty good but they had horrible fit. I need something with a reinforced connector that won't short out easily.

Any help?

Nov 23, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #3 of 21
Wrap the cable around the back of your ears.   This will keep you from pulling them straight from the wire.  Check out Fischer Audio Toughstuff TS-9002.  These are built for abuse and sound pretty decent. A little more than $30 ($39 +shipping).

Nov 23, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #5 of 21
The jvc marshmallows are pretty close in sound to the radius atomic bass and are invincible. I once disected a pair for the hell of it and it turns out the wires in the earphones are tied in a knot so it's pretty much impossible to short circuit them.

Nov 23, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #6 of 21

Quote:
Wrap the cable around the back of your ears.   This will keep you from pulling them straight from the wire.  Check out Fischer Audio Toughstuff TS-9002.  These are built for abuse and sound pretty decent. A little more than $30 ($39 +shipping).

MSRP on those is just $27 so I wouldn't pay more than $40 including shipping for them, personally. To be honest though the shells are nice they do have a couple of problems such as the lack of strain reliefs and the unmolded 3.5mm plug - they won't stand much wrapping around an iPod. Plus they aren't the most easy to fit things out there. For under $30 I'd go with the Meelec M6 - it's got a well-relieved L-plug and the memory wire should help prevent shorts near the earpieces. Meelec warranty support is painless too.

Nov 23, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #7 of 21
The area that is breaking for me is the joint between the cable and the 3.5mm plug. The joint between the cable and earbuds are fine. Also, sorry but i meant IEMs, im not too familiar with the terminology. Yes, i wrap them around my ipod touch so there is some strain and i usually listen while walking and slip it in my back pocket so the joint is probably getting bent and eventually breaking the wires inside.

Nov 23, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #8 of 21

Quote:
Quote:

MSRP on those is just $27 so I wouldn't pay more than $40 including shipping for them, personally. To be honest though the shells are nice they do have a couple of problems such as the lack of strain reliefs and the unmolded 3.5mm plug - they won't stand much wrapping around an iPod. Plus they aren't the most easy to fit things out there. For under $30 I'd go with the Meelec M6 - it's got a well-relieved L-plug and the memory wire should help prevent shorts near the earpieces. Meelec warranty support is painless too.

x2 I'd also consider the M9 if you do not like memory wire

Nov 23, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #9 of 21
I might go with the m6, the only thing turning me off is the style you wear them, it seems like it would be a pain to fit and have it stay in. The m11+ looks pretty good but im wondering if its worth double the price of the m6 in terms of sound quality.

Nov 23, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #10 of 21

Quote:
The area that is breaking for me is the joint between the cable and the 3.5mm plug. The joint between the cable and earbuds are fine. Also, sorry but i meant IEMs, im not too familiar with the terminology. Yes, i wrap them around my ipod touch so there is some strain and i usually listen while walking and slip it in my back pocket so the joint is probably getting bent and eventually breaking the wires inside.

Wrap some electrical tape between the plug part and the immediate cable section, so that it eases the otherwise-focused wear and tear on that joint.

Nov 23, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #11 of 21
I've narrowed it down to the m6 or the m11+. I found a good deal for the m6 but the over the ear style is still turning me off. M11+ is perfect for me, but im just wondering if the extra cost is worth it.

Nov 23, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
I've narrowed it down to the m6 or the m11+. I found a good deal for the m6 but the over the ear style is still turning me off. M11+ is perfect for me, but im just wondering if the extra cost is worth it.

Lol, DAMN, I KNEW I shoulda given the deal I found its own thread..... found a 30 dollar off code for the m11+ that expired yesterday.

I'll let you know if I'd pay 60 dollars for it.

Maybe they'll do something else for black friday... keep an eye on meleectronics' facebook feed... you can just google it, that's how I found the coupon code.

Nov 23, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
, i would have purchased that.

Ya know, even though it's a fairly safe bet that meelec will be having a similar sale some time during the holidays, one purchase I was considering before finding the m11+ on sale that is a SURE thing this black friday is the Lenntech sonix 3s.  They're going to be 25 bucks at mygearstore (website) after the 25 percent discount code active black friday they advertise... I was initially looking at them for the same reason you might; durability.  The only thing that perturbed me is that apparantly they are a little weak in the highs department, but have a 'warm' sound with good mids and bass.

But yeah, nylon braid cables, super reinforced stress points, pretty good sound despite the highs, and 25 bucks, maybe those'll work out.

Plus by the time they're 25 bucks shipped, you'll be able to see if meleec has any deals for black friday, so a decent backup option, they seem to me.
Wikipedia: Damnation
Damnation is the concept of ultimate condemnation by God, as part of divine punishment. »

Users who are viewing this thread

Back