Most common portable headphones/IEM you see besides Ibuds
Apr 27, 2009 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

K_19

Headphoneus Supremus
As title states, name the headphones/IEM's you see most often as you commute or walk on the streets and what not, besides Ibuds. Also feel free to name some of the unique/rare ones you see once in a while!

Here in Toronto, the most common non Apple buds/IEM I see is the JVC Marshmallows. I usually see one every bus ride to work. I've also seen some lower end Shures but that only happens about once a week. I haven't really seen top end IEM's on the streets, though I did see a fellow 530 owner once on the subway. As for portable headphones, it's gotta be the PX100. I've seen them somewhat often. See Triports and In-Ears from Bose somewhat frequently as well
evil_smiley.gif

As for rarities, I've seen the Sextetts once on the subway, and saw K501 once at a Second Cup, though that's not really portable. Last week I saw a DT880 owner on the bus, and once I saw someone daring enough to wear the Hd515's (ugh, those speaker grills are hideous, I like to call them BBQ grills).

What have you seen on the streets?

Apr 27, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #2 of 55
ath es7 and sj3a

Apr 27, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #3 of 55
In Czech Republic, mostly common is Koss Porta Pro. Also popular is in-ears, which come with Sony walkman phones.
From weird headphones, in last months more and more often you can see some crazy people with things like Skulcandy and WESC.
From better headphones, I sometimes meet peaple with Sennheiser HD-25 or DJ like Sonys.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Apr 27, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #9 of 55
most of the people I saw wear iBud, few wear full can, other cheapo earbud. the second most prominant earphone I can name it is Bose in ear. I am the only weirdo wearing IE7 and Phonak in near NYU region. can't believe place with so many rich kids and people still use cheapo. (don't flame me for the statement)

Apr 27, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #10 of 55
Hey K 19, I am also in Toronto. Apart the phones you mentioned, I also see quite of the cheap crappy Sony on ears (MDR-V***, usually V-150). Skullcandies are also very popular of course, but at my uni (UofT St. Geroge campus), I also often see people wearing some decent to very good cans. I've seen quite a few Grados, including Alessandro MS1s, quite a few portable Audio Technica cans (in the sub-$100 category), quite a few Senn PX100s/200s and some HD280 Pros, many AKG K26ps (or whatever they are called nowadays). The rarities that I've seen at UofT campus or on the way to and fro, include: a some SE530s on the subway, ATH-CK7 a couple of times on the subway and ATH-ES7 once or twice around campus, an Asian dude wearing AKG K701s once at the gym (
eek.gif
), some Koss PortaPros once in a while and a pair of KSC75s once. Oh and I also see some Bose in-ears, TriPorts and On-Ears/QuetComfort once in a while, as well as some lower-end Shures.

Apr 27, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #11 of 55
in Edinburgh (University area) 99% of the people wear these white/gray apple earbuds. Very recently I've started to notice some of these spoiled rich students with fancy colourful full-size headphones I can't identify. Every now and then I see somebody with full-size Sennheiser or Grado SR60. Interestingly I'm also seeing lots of girls with Px100s, more than guys. People with sony ericcson telephone earbuds/sony iems make for the rest.

Apr 27, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #12 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey K 19, I am also in Toronto. Apart the phones you mentioned, I also see quite of the cheap crappy Sony on ears (MDR-V***, usually V-150). Skullcandies are also very popular of course, but at my uni (UofT St. Geroge campus), I also often see people wearing some decent to very good cans. I've seen quite a few Grados, including Alessandro MS1s, quite a few portable Audio Technica cans (in the sub-$100 category), quite a few Senn PX100s/200s and some HD280 Pros, many AKG K26ps (or whatever they are called nowadays). The rarities that I've seen at UofT campus or on the way to and fro, include: a some SE530s on the subway, ATH-CK7 a couple of times on the subway and ATH-ES7 once or twice around campus, an Asian dude wearing AKG K701s once at the gym (
eek.gif
), some Koss PortaPros once in a while and a pair of KSC75s once. Oh and I also see some Bose in-ears, TriPorts and On-Ears/QuetComfort once in a while, as well as some lower-end Shures.

Whoa, K701s at the GYM? Someone's got too much money, if they don't mind getting their K701's covered in sweat. That, and it's pretty clunky to wear while doing physical exercise.
k701smile.gif

Apr 27, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #13 of 55
Yeah, I could never imagine myself taking the K701 outside period, much less the GYM. That just doesn't work at all and makes no sense whatsoever. lol. He could have gotten himself an ER4S or something like that if he wanted 701 type sound...

Good call on the V150, Pianist. I do see those a lot too.

Apr 27, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #14 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I could never imagine myself taking the K701 outside period, much less the GYM. That just doesn't work at all and makes no sense whatsoever. lol. He could have gotten himself an ER4S or something like that if he wanted 701 type sound...

Good call on the V150, Pianist. I do see those a lot too.

Agreed, none of my full-sized cans, with exception to my HFI-780s (on rare occasions), see the light of day. I've seen someone with HD650s once on the subway, and I couldn't help but laugh, since I imagine it'd be hard to hear anything, being an extremely open headphone.

Apr 27, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #15 of 55
Being a teenager, all I see is iBuds, skullcandy, JVC marshmallows and that's more or less it. Maybe the odd QC3, but nothing much in the city I live in. Whilst in London, I see some Shures, but nothing much special. Not seen the IE8 in the public yet..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back