Most boring movie of ALL TIME
May 30, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #61 of 111

Quote:
I wasn't a huge fan of "2001" when I was a kid, but I find it gripping now. Picked up the Blu-Ray version a few months back and have watched it a few times. There are no unnecessary scenes, no wasted dialog and it still looks gorgeous.

Not to derail the thread, but Kubrick influenced my turntable purchase. J.A. Michell designed the "Discovery" spacecraft in "2001" and that cool turntable in "A Clockwork Orange" is a Michell Transcriptor. So, in addition to the technical merits, I had to have a Michell deck.
smily_headphones1.gif

Back to movies, I also enjoyed LoTR more than I expected, though I prefer the extended versions. I fault them a bit for leaving a lot of the fun stuff out and mostly having the action bits. I know there are constraints for movies and that not everything can be included. However, I like the books more because there's a rollercoaster of terror followed by the characters having a good time. The movies paint a grimmer story than it actually is.

Booyah! I love Peter Jackson's work, and although the books are undoubtably better, the movies are still grade A in my opinion. I put him down as one of my idols when I applied for film school. 

May 30, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #62 of 111
Maybe because back then "2001" was a Burger amongst many different cuts of meat.  Where as now, 'real meat' is rare, if at all even on the menu.

Maybe not a "burger" but you get my drift....

Quote:
I wasn't a huge fan of "2001" when I was a kid, but I find it gripping now. Picked up the Blu-Ray version a few months back and have watched it a few times. There are no unnecessary scenes, no wasted dialog and it still looks gorgeous.

May 30, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #63 of 111
Interesting to hear everyone's take on the most boring of all time.  The Thin Red Line, Aliens, The Dark Night and Lord of the Rings wouldn't even be in danger of getting on my list.  Boring at times, maybe, but large parts of these movies are interesting and entertaining.  I didn't get all of the hype of Inception but people say it's because we're trying to make sense of a dream within a dream that has one more layer of dreams beneath that.  Just accept it.  Nah, but not sure why I couldn't get into it.  Matrix was another movie with a lot of unbelievable plots but somehow I could suspend disbelief and enjoy it for what it was.  

For me, most boring movie of all time, "What women want" with Mel Gibson and Helen Hunt.  Star Wars prequels would be definitely in top 20 list of most boring of all time.    

May 31, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #64 of 111
Oh, yeah, I remember now:  Open Water.  It was so boring, beginning with the Handsome Couple cheerfully brushing their teeth together, that by the end, it was just a relief when the woman gave herself up to the hungry sharks.  Didn't care by that time, it's over, good.

May 31, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #65 of 111

Quote:
Oh, yeah, I remember now:  Open Water.  It was so boring, beginning with the Handsome Couple cheerfully brushing their teeth together, that by the end, it was just a relief when the woman gave herself up to the hungry sharks.  Didn't care by that time, it's over, good.

Yeah the best part of that movie, truly, was when the credits started to roll.

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #66 of 111
I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey on its opening day in NYC when I was just a kid (dragged in by adults). At the time, I thought it was the most boring movie imaginable. Now I consider it to be one of the most brilliant movies ever made. It's still ahead of its time (except for the cheesy ape suits).

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #67 of 111
Aliens, boring? In my top 5 that!

Death Proof was shocking. Unfortunately I gave it the benefit of the doubt and watched it all.

I also thought The Dark Knight was exceedingly overrated. Wanted it to end. A motorbike that drives up a vertical wall. Really?

Batman Begins on the other hand, was rather excellent.

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #68 of 111
Here's another:  Wag the Dog.  The concept was right up my alley, but I fell asleep in the theatre.  Exciting movies we tend to remember, but the boring ones die a slow death on the back burners of our minds.  I think of them at odd (boring?) moments.

I wonder - does any known movie have an LD50 rating from sheer boredom?

Jun 16, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #70 of 111

Quote:

Yes and along the same lines The Blair Witch Project.

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #71 of 111
Gerry

There is no movie more boring than this. Seriously.

It's basically nothing but Matt Damon and Casey Affleck walking through the desert for two hours with little to no dialogue.

Jun 17, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #73 of 111

Quote:
Not to derail the thread, but Kubrick influenced my turntable purchase. J.A. Michell designed the "Discovery" spacecraft in "2001" and that cool turntable in "A Clockwork Orange" is a Michell Transcriptor.
Actually it was a Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference - http://www.transcriptors.net/?page_id=2 - I had the much cheaper Transcriptors Saturn myself back in 1980!

Jun 17, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #74 of 111
Bounce - Felt absolutely no response at all.  Sat in a chair and two hours of my life vanished leaving me w/ absolutely nothing.

Pearl Harbor - Discounting the actual bombing scene which was superb, I had to get up and leave the movie to take a walk around the theater...twice.

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #75 of 111
Val Kilmer in

The Traveler (2010 film)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back