most accurate/neutral AMP/DAC for <$300 and <$500
Jun 5, 2010 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

modusmortis

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I’m looking for the most accurate and neutral amp/dac unit in the <$300 price range.  I’m also curious about units in the <$500 range. My headphones are Etymotic ER4S (IEMs) and my source is a PC (foobar/flac). I would prefer to use SPDIF to connect to the PC, instead of USB.

Any suggestions on what is good to get?

Jun 6, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #2 of 4
You don't really need a home amp for a ER-4, but if you do want one make sure that 

1) You make sure it doesn't hiss with IEMs before you buy.
2) It's gain isn't too high so there's a good usable range on the volume trouble. 

Maybe you can get a Sheer Audio HA-006+ with lowered gain, Dynalos are supposed to be neutral. You might get more mileage from a DAC with a decent headphone out though. 

Personally, I'm not a ER4 fan, so I wouldn't get a home or any amp for them, but I suppose all the new IEMs are kind of on the bassy side. 

Jun 6, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I’m looking for the most accurate and neutral amp/dac unit in the <$300 price range.  I’m also curious about units in the <$500 range. My headphones are Etymotic ER4S (IEMs) and my source is a PC (foobar/flac). I would prefer to use SPDIF to connect to the PC, instead of USB.

Any suggestions on what is good to get?

I would recommend getting adecent pair of headphones for that price, something like the grado's which won't require amp.There is no point buying a DAC/AMP for your iems.

Jun 6, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the replies. I'm limited to IEMs since regular headphones hurt my neck after a while (they are too heavy.) That, being said, I think I am going to look more into a DAC with headphones out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back