More BASS : M50's OR AH-D1100?
Dec 10, 2010 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

oobiwan

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, just a quick question as stated in the title already. 
Which one of the 2 has more bass? are there others in the same price range with more bass? Thanks! 

Dec 10, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #2 of 51
The D1100 easily has much more bass. More bass quantity, more punch, more power. I've never heard the M50's before, but I have a pair of D1100s on my head right now and the bass is very strong on these. It's on the level of the Sony Xb500s . M50s are for a more balanced and audiophile listening experience but if you want bass in that price range, then the D1100 should be one of your top choices.

Dec 10, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 51

Quote:
The D1100 easily has much more bass. More bass quantity, more punch, more power. I've never heard the M50's before, but I have a pair of D1100s on my head right now and the bass is very strong on these. It's on the level of the Sony Xb500s . M50s are for a more balanced and audiophile listening experience but if you want bass in that price range, then the D1100 should be one of your top choices.

Whoa I thought perhaps there would be some debate, I didnt know they were that far ahead of the M50's in the Bass category. How are they on portability and would I need an amp to power them properly or would an Ipod be enough? 

Dec 10, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 51
Check out the Shure SRH750DJ. They have TONS of high quality bass without sacrificing the other frequencies.
I can't believe anyone would want more bass than the Shures give you. I sold mine because the bass was a bit too much for me, but I'm more of Grado man I guess.

Dec 10, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #6 of 51

Quote:
Check out the Shure SRH750DJ. They have TONS of high quality bass without sacrificing the other frequencies.
I can't believe anyone would want more bass than the Shures give you. I sold mine because the bass was a bit too much for me, but I'm more of Grado man I guess.

How are they compared to the Denon's in bass? And are they open or closed? easy for long periods of use( tired ears from bass fatigue)?

Dec 10, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #8 of 51

I haven't heard the new D1100 yet, but if they are similar to the D1001 the Shures will have way more bass.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How are they compared to the Denon's in bass? And are they open or closed? easy for long periods of use( tired ears from bass fatigue)?

Hmm yeah I'd have to ask the same thing...

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #9 of 51
It's no contest. The denon's ah1100 have much more quality and quantity bass......

when I think of a great closed can with great bass, I don't have to look further than the denon's ah1100....

Dec 10, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #11 of 51
Thanks for all the responses and input guys, really appreciated by this noob. 
What about the general differences between the m50 and the denons? like sound quality and soundstage etc.

Dec 10, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #12 of 51
I have the Denon D1100's,Beyer DT770 pro 80's and I tried the M50's last night.. The Denon's have the most bass. The DT770's have clean bass,but with bass boost they are awesome.. The M50's are nice but brighter than the other 2. I passed on the M50's.. But I own the other 2.. The highs and mids on the DT770's are very smooth..Listen to Boom boom pow by black eyed pea's and you will crap yourself with any of those cans..

Dec 10, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #13 of 51

Quote:
I have the Denon D1100's,Beyer DT770 pro 80's and I tried the M50's last night.. The Denon's have the most bass. The DT770's have clean bass,but with bass boost they are awesome.. The M50's are nice but brighter than the other 2. I passed on the M50's.. But I own the other 2.. The highs and mids on the DT770's are very smooth..Listen to Boom boom pow by black eyed pea's and you will crap yourself with any of those cans..

thanks for the addition of the Beyers, how is the sound quality of the dt770's compared to the 1100's and is the bass muddy or still punchy and tight?

Dec 10, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #14 of 51
I would go with Shure SRH750 DJ if you crave punchy and present bass and are willing to up your budget a bit to the $150 that the Shures sell for. If you buy used from the forum or through some sale, you may get a pair for less. Out of the box, the bass is a little too dominant over the mids and the treble, but evens out with the rest of the spectrum more after burn in. The mids and highs after burn in are also excellent on SRH750 DJs and compliment the great bass well. The low end is what really defines these headphones though - it is very tight, very deep and very punchy and yet does not overpower any other frequencies. I would say it's way better in quality than ATH-M50 or the D1001, especially the M50 which is really quite boomy and undefined when unamped and even when amped, the bass overpowers the lower mids. The Denons are OK, but I think the Shures have a higher sound quality that justifies their higher cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back