More BASS : M50's OR AH-D1100?
Dec 10, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #16 of 51
And also seems to be a lot more punchier (more impact) than D1001 and has biggest impact of any Denons. But yea the Shures aren't a bad choice either but I think D1100 is probably slightly bassier with similar type of bass as the Shures too. D1001 seems to lean more towards the typical Denon bass that is slightly on the boomy/soft/slow side and not very close in quantity either compared to the newer D1100.

Dec 11, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #17 of 51

Quote:
Quote:
The D1100 easily has much more bass. More bass quantity, more punch, more power. I've never heard the M50's before, but I have a pair of D1100s on my head right now and the bass is very strong on these. It's on the level of the Sony Xb500s . M50s are for a more balanced and audiophile listening experience but if you want bass in that price range, then the D1100 should be one of your top choices.

Whoa I thought perhaps there would be some debate, I didnt know they were that far ahead of the M50's in the Bass category. How are they on portability and would I need an amp to power them properly or would an Ipod be enough? 

Portability is very good. Aside from the fact that you might look like "Hey Arnold" the football head cartoon kid due to the frame sticking out, they stay on your ears very well and there's no way it'll fall off unless it's loose or it gets knocked off. It has no problems staying on with a quick turn of the head or a sudden drop. The bigger ipods like the Classic and the Touch will be enough to power them and sound, although I bought an E5 portable amp for $20 and I notice a slight sound improvement. Setting the volume on the media player at 50-70% and letting the E5 do the rest of the volume is a good balance. The E5s do have a bass boost option, but I never use it haha.

Quote:
could you compare the XB500's to the 1100s?

Well I've only heard the XB500s once and that was at one of those shiddy Best Buy demo stations so I can't give a good answer on that. I've read posts from people who are big XB500 fans and D1100s say that the bass of those two are comparable in power and quantity. The XB500s are around $60 so overall they don't sound as good as the D1100s, but they are an excellent value for bassheads with some EQ tweaking. That's what I've heard anyways.

Quote:
Goat1 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have the Denon D1100's,Beyer DT770 pro 80's and I tried the M50's last night.. The Denon's have the most bass. The DT770's have clean bass,but with bass boost they are awesome.. The M50's are nice but brighter than the other 2. I passed on the M50's.. But I own the other 2.. The highs and mids on the DT770's are very smooth..Listen to Boom boom pow by black eyed pea's and you will crap yourself with any of those cans..

Just curious, but which one do you prefer and why (D1100 vs. DT pros). I also demo'd the DT 770 pros for half and hour, but I settled on the D1100s because I thought the DT 770 pros sounded a little too hollow and too laid back for my taste.

Dec 11, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #18 of 51
I hope there will be more insight on the D1100 on this thread comparing to the other bassy headphones, since they aren't really a whole lot of thread out there yet.  So guys any additional info on bass and the rest of the frequency vs. other headphones would be of great help to both  the new player Denon D1100, and for headfi.

I just know that if they sound anything like the D2000 with more of the same bass but punchier and aggressive, then these headphone would truly be a force to be recon because to me the D2000 comfort, clarity, highs, detail, soundstage, imaging is pretty amazing for a close headphone to me right now without an amp.  I'm just craving for more bass and punch currently without an amp (my bad for having no amp=no justice). Plus the D1100 price seems to be dropping down lower to a very reachable pricing point. I'm probable asking too much of course.

Dec 11, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #19 of 51
I compared the D1100 to D2000......

Bass wise, D1100 wise by far.....

I think D1100 has about 90% of the highs......

comfort wise, it's the same.....

D1100 is easier to drive without an amp....(you wouldn't need one to my ears) 

Dec 11, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #20 of 51
Ilovetaylors: what about soundstage and imaging? does the d1100 somewhat offer similar soundstage and imaging? my guess is probable not because of the cup size. this insight would help me greatly as I'm still on the border on trying to make a decision on either getting amp for the d2000 or just go for the d1100.  Also do you have any other headphone that are comparable in size for me to get an idea of how big/small they are?

I'm glade you say comfort wise is the same because man are the d2000 comfortable compare to the M50. Also are the pads the same material?

Dec 11, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #21 of 51
I can't really comment on the soundstage but for me, it's eerie similar.......

they cup over your ears very nicely......hmm kinda like *gasp* dr dre studio by beats...

but d1100 is very very light weight compare to the M50 (which is heavy for me)

btw...even if you get an amp for the d2000, I doubt it can match the bass of D1100.....

Dec 11, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #22 of 51

If you already have the D2000, then why get a D1100? I'd improve what you already have personally. And also I would LOVE to be able to listen to a D2000 someday perfectly amped. I'm gonna email Denon whether there are any near me available for demoing.
Quote:
Ilovetaylors: what about soundstage and imaging? does the d1100 somewhat offer similar soundstage and imaging? my guess is probable not because of the cup size. this insight would help me greatly as I'm still on the border on trying to make a decision on either getting amp for the d2000 or just go for the d1100.  Also do you have any other headphone that are comparable in size for me to get an idea of how big/small they are?

I'm glade you say comfort wise is the same because man are the d2000 comfortable compare to the M50. Also are the pads the same material?

Dec 11, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #23 of 51

To sum it up, the d2000 doesn't perform as well as I hope w/o an amp. Originally, I was hoping to run them temporary w/o an amp until I can afford a decent one. I read a few comment about them being okay w/o amp, but in my opinion not really.  I did have a taste of it though.  I owned them since yesterday so I can still return them.  Right now, I still have a decision of either buy a cheap amp as a temporary solution or take a chance with the D1100.  Currently without an amp, I feel the D2000 bass lack the trait of being authoritive and punchy. I don't really see the monsterous bass owners have mention. I sort of don't know what to expect from the bass of the d2000 with an amp.  So right now I'm considering placing my bet on the new guy until I can afford owning the the d2000 properly.  Heck, if I go the D1100 route, in the future I might just skip the D2000 all together and get the bigger brothers of the Denons.  I do have to say that I do like the sound signature of the D2000.

Thanks Ilovetaylors, I'm leaning toward getting the D1100. I listen to a lot of pop,of course other stuff too, so bass matters for me. I just didn't want the other area beside bass to fall too behind. Oh one more thing, I feel weird typing your name...kinda taboo like
cool.gif

Quote:
If you already have the D2000, then why get a D1100? I'd improve what you already have personally. And also I would LOVE to be able to listen to a D2000 someday perfectly amped. I'm gonna email Denon whether there are any near me available for demoing.
Quote:

Dec 11, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #24 of 51
The D1100s work very well unamped provided that you provide it in an mp3 player or phone that isn't weak. Ipod Nanos are a no no. It sounds quite good on my Samsung Captivate and I would imagine it'd sound good on ipod touch and similar music players. Just based on what I've read from the Denon comparison thread, the D2000 sounds comparable to the D5000s and the price upgrade wouldn't really be worth it. Since you already have a D2000, I'd definitely take the amp. Other than bass, the D2000s will sound better than D1100 anyways.

Quote:
To sum it up, the d2000 doesn't perform as well as I hope w/o an amp. Originally, I was hoping to run them temporary w/o an amp until I can afford a decent one. I read a few comment about them being okay w/o amp, but in my opinion not really.  I did have a taste of it though.  I owned them since yesterday so I can still return them.  Right now, I still have a decision of either buy a cheap amp as a temporary solution or take a chance with the D1100.  Currently without an amp, I feel the D2000 bass lack the trait of being authoritive and punchy. I don't really see the monsterous bass owners have mention. I sort of don't know what to expect from the bass of the d2000 with an amp.  So right now I'm considering placing my bet on the new guy until I can afford owning the the d2000 properly.  Heck, if I go the D1100 route, in the future I might just skip the D2000 all together and get the bigger brothers of the Denons.  I do have to say that I do like the sound signature of the D2000.

Thanks Ilovetaylors, I'm leaning toward getting the D1100. I listen to a lot of pop,of course other stuff too, so bass matters for me. I just didn't want the other area beside bass to fall too behind. Oh one more thing, I feel weird typing your name...kinda taboo like
cool.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Dec 11, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #26 of 51
shorty920: I have a feeling you are right. I can't help it, but to want to find out the truth.  I read the UK cnet and it seems that they think the beats solo and vmoda crossfade lp bass hits harder. Plus, I just can't seem to see how they could improve on the D1100 that much more than the D1001.  They look very similar in shape and size. I know the d1100 have a bigger driver, which I'm sure help with the bass.

I have time to think about so yeah. I'm just going set on it while playing around with the D2000 a little bit more and see if it's going to talk to me.  The built on the D2000 is a whole lot better than I though.  They seems expensive compare to some of my other pair of headphone, kind of attractive to me.  This sucks haha.  D2000=$300+ vs. D1100 = $140  ------->lesser than half the cost--------->
mad.gif

Dec 11, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #27 of 51
the point is...are you willing to spend extra $$$...for it...

and if it's worth it to you.....

does that 10-20% in sound worth 200-300 dollars more....

some people will say yes 

some people will say no..

Dec 11, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #28 of 51
Cheaper won't always sound "worse" either, that depends how you WANT it to sound like. I've went from ATH-M50 and BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro/80 to the 3x cheaper XB500 and concidered it as an upgrade. :D D1100 should be a bit warmer/aggressive and slightly smoother sounding than D2000 and pack more punch in the bass than D2000 would even with a proper amp.

The price is pretty insignificant IMO, I know a Sennheiser HD800 for example wouldn't probably satisfy me cuz it wouldn't sound the way I wanted it to. It will probably sound like heaven to others though but it wouldn't pack the warmness & aggressive sound coupled with smooth highs and big bass I like for example.

Dec 11, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #29 of 51
Thanks rpgwizard,

Maybe the d1100 won't be as bad as I think compare to the d2000. The d1100 might be an even more fun headphone which is what I'm looking for.  I think I'm starting to get a clear answer to the difference of the two, it just boils down the direction I want to head to.

Dec 11, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #30 of 51
if you got time try the d1100....

listening to it for 30 minutes to 1 hour....

d1100 is a very fun headset......you have to listen to that sound boom boom pow......by black eye peas. wow!!!  

but it is a less bright sounding headset than d2000 for sure. it's warm, but also very clear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back