Moral Dilemma
Aug 13, 2008 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

kjpmkjp

500+ Head-Fier
To start off, I need a new bike (bicycle). I was planning on picking a decent (~$200 MSRP) one when they all go on sale at the end of summer, when I end up back in the city. However, I have another possible solution.

There's been a bike sitting behind a dumpster (it's in an open area, so don't imagine some dingy back alley) for about 2 weeks now. It's not in a location where the garbage truck would pick it up from, as they generally just haul the dumpster upside down and be done with it. I've never seen it moved, or not seen it there (since I've been back from my three week vacation), so I've been assuming no one owns it anymore/that it's been "disposed of". So, I thought maybe I could hit two birds with one stone, and recover the thing. Now, that leads into the problem. It's a decent bike (Giant Boulder SE), but it's slightly dinged up. In the exact condition I found it, it wouldn't have been readily ride-able. It needed air in the tires, and the seatpost was loose at both attachment points. However, everything else seemed perfectly intact, with minor wear and tear. The tires are worn, and really should be replaced, but they can still be used. The chain is slightly rusted, but functioning. So, with that info, I'd assume it's being thrown out, yes?

As for the dilemma, there was a lock on the bike. Now, that'll set your alarm off right now, but let me tell you where it was... It wasn't locked to anything, nor was it locking up any specific part of the bike. It's just slung around the handlebars/headset area. It doesn't hinder any movement, but it's still a lock, which would lead me to believe someone *does* own it.

So, here's what I've done so far. I moved the bike to underneath my apartment balcony (a public area, and still within sight of the dumpster, not even 15 meters in distance), and I pumped up the tubes and tightened up the seatpost. It fits the bill for me perfectly, albiet being a 24" and not a 26". I test rode it through the parking lot (also within visibility from the apartments) to make sure it worked fine. The gearing is a bit odd, but it works, as does everything else. I plan to leave it there for the next two weeks until I plan to move, and unless someone "claims" (ie. moves it, locks it up), I'm going to take it home with me. The actual lock is not even a cm thick, and could be cut with most hand-held wire cutters, and wouldn't even flinch under a proper wire cutter.

My vote is that if someone *did* own it, they would have at least locked it up to the numerous locations around here, and not just lay it next to the dumpster. I don't want to be a thief. I may ride the bike around the town a bit to get a feel for it, and I plan to gladly return it if its previous owner approaches me.

Given what I've seen on this forum, I'll get more logical/educated/thought out responses on here as compared to other forums I frequent.

What do you guys/girls think?

Aug 13, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #3 of 19
I think that what you have done is right. You did everything you could do to find the owner of the bike if there is one. If no one claims it by the time you leave it is yours.

Too much good stuff is trown out without being fully used. Make this one yours and keep the money to invest in your next audiophile stuff!

Aug 13, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #4 of 19
I think they're trying to disposed of the bike cause they put it near the dumpters (or somebody stole it and try cover the crime by ditching the bike in the dumpters) or you can ask your neighbors if they know the owner of the bike and maybe he was really trying to dipose it then hey just like what they say one man's thrash is another man's treasure.
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #5 of 19
I tend to agree that since it was left next to a dumpster, was unlocked, and has not been claimed by the rightful owner in several weeks, it was probably left outside of the dumpster rather than in the dumpster in case someone like yourself could put it to good use.

When I was an undergraduate student, I lived in an apartment complex that was located next to several other apartment buildings. Thus, there were literally hundreds of apartments in every direction. At the end of every semester, people would dump all sorts of interesting things. Most of it was a bit beat up and wasn't of any great value, but we picked up a portable mini bar for the living room, all sorts of wall hangings, you name it. I think it was more or less expected that others would rummage through this stuff, and that's why people left these sorts of semi-valuable-not-quite-junk things outside of the dumpsters rather than directly in them.

So don't sweat it. Fix the bike up and ride it until you decide to get something better and then pass it on to someone else.

Aug 13, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #6 of 19
I would probably ask around at all of the nearby houses just to make sure.

Aug 13, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #8 of 19
Sounds like it needs a lot of work though. A new chain and cassette, adjusting of the front&rear derailleurs, new tires, replacement of the brake pads, wheel truing, plus more perhaps.

Nothing expensive to do. You could probably adjust the derailleurs yourself. Brake pads are cheap for v-breaks. And for tires, if you don't plan on taking it off-road, consider semi-slick tires.

Take it to a bike shop and have them look at it.

It is also important that if you replace the chain, you should replace the cassette too. This is because your current chain and cassette(the teeth) are stretchered out(I assume, since it sounds like an old bike which wasn't well taken care of). And a brand new chain wont sit right on a old cassette.

Aug 13, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like it needs a lot of work though. A new chain and cassette, adjusting of the front&rear derailleurs, new tires, replacement of the brake pads, wheel truing, plus more perhaps.

Nothing expensive to do. You could probably adjust the derailleurs yourself. Brake pads are cheap for v-breaks. And for tires, if you don't plan on taking it off-road, consider semi-slick tires.

Take it to a bike shop and have them look at it.

It is also important that if you replace the chain, you should replace the cassette too. This is because your current chain and cassette(the teeth) are stretchered out(I assume, since it sounds like an old bike which wasn't well taken care of). And a brand new chain wont sit right on a old cassette.

I have extra brake parts lying around. I usually ride 20" BMX/Racers, so I've accumulated a fair amount of parts especially for brakes. The tires are going to be replaced as soon as I return to Toronto, but I'll be using something in between, so I'll find cross-purpose tires. I'll check out the cassette though, I didn't think to examine it too extensively. Thanks for that heads up. I looked up the bike, and it's not that cheap (MSRP varying from $150-$300), so hopefully it'll still be cost-effective to repair it fully. Oh, and for the derailleurs, I've never really learned about them, so I'll have to look into that as well. I have tools, so I'd rather not pay for something I could do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xiaoipower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you've already decided to take it and are looking for re-assurances that other people would have done the same thing...

i would have
smily_headphones1.gif

You're mostly right. I usually seek advice when my morals are slightly questioning, since anyone on the other side of the argument will often provide useful insight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashnolan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would probably ask around at all of the nearby houses just to make sure.

There are way too many apartments in the general area. I'm considering leaving a note on the bike, and the person will need to prove it's theirs by unlocking the padlock around the stem/headset.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicolas2305 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that what you have done is right. You did everything you could do to find the owner of the bike if there is one. If no one claims it by the time you leave it is yours.

Too much good stuff is trown out without being fully used. Make this one yours and keep the money to invest in your next audiophile stuff!

I think the saved money will be going towards an iPod or some sort of MP3 player. The screen on mine is getting this unusual and expanding blotch...

Aug 13, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #10 of 19
I always ask myself in these situations: "is there a moral dilemma if I don't have moral?" It works quite nicely.
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #11 of 19
The bike was either abandoned or thrown away. I don't see any harm in taking it and using it - much better than the landfill.

Though you might want to put up a couple fliers near where you found it. If someone contacts you and describes it, you'll know it is their bike. Also, you might want to contact the police. I don't know about your jurisdiction, but some will allow a finder to keep found property if the owner doesn't come forward within 30 days or so. That would give you the legal right to it and a clear conscience.

Aug 13, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #14 of 19
Well, sad to say but it now belongs to someone. I was going to head on out and put a note on it, but the bike is no more. My vote is that someone else took it, as it's no longer even in the vicinity of these apartments. Either way, if the owner found it, good for him/her. If not...sneaky bugger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back