MOONDROP X CRINACLE DUSK NOW AVAILABLE
Apr 3, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #61 of 207
@Trae

Yeah, fair enough.

With the caveat I don't know how the Moondrop cable performs (has ASR done a review? Lol), as long as it's decent I'm skeptical about significant, audible improvements in pure sound quality with another device.

But I understand the EQ side of things. So yeah, fair enough on that.

I have multiple dongles as well and my ideal scenario is that all the filters are published so I can just continue using my 5K and other dacs/amps.

But I do think the DSP cable is pretty nifty for people mostly happy with the stock sound ( with small tweaks if necessary), since you can get that EQ universally without additional work!

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #62 of 207
Create your custom profile in peace, use guipeace to export into wavelet format, import into wavelet, and you're done. Once you set it up, it's pretty much forgettable. Moondrop's eq is very restrictive compared to what wavelet is capable of.
Wait. What? Wavelet drives me crazy since it doesn't have shelf filters (same as the by all reports crummy Moondrop app).

Does that import process actually properly import the profiles?

the lack of pre-amp is also insane to me.

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #63 of 207
Wait. What? Wavelet drives me crazy since it doesn't have shelf filters (same as the by all reports crummy Moondrop app).

Does that import process actually properly import the profiles?

the lack of pre-amp is also insane to me.
Yeah, the peace addon to equalizerapo gives you a bunch of different filters and a visual parametric equalizer to really dial it in. Guipeace is on GitHub and it exports and accurately converts peace profiles into something wavelet can use.

As far as the preamp goes, you can actually use the channel balance sliders in wavelet to lower the gain, but you're limited to -10dB, which happens to be enough headroom for most of my stuff. If that isn't enough, then using the graphic eq in tandem nets you another 7.5dB of gain headroom, but you have to lower the whole range equally to get it to serve as a makeshift preamp.

The main reason for getting the Dusk is to use them as reference IEMs to help with equalizing my projects since their fr curve is pretty smooth and generally in a good place other than that 16khz peak.

Here's a dial-in of my modified legatos. Completely transforms the sound. Removed mesh filters and added spiraldots, tuned them by ear.

Edit: as far as the Moondrop cable measures, ASR has a review of the Moondrop free dsp cable. Probably the same internals but adapted to be packaged with the dusk. Overall, it measures decently, nothing spectacular, but it's also $30 so I'm not expecting much from it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240403_161942_Wavelet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240403_161942_Wavelet.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #64 of 207
I cancelled my preorder. I just can’t get past that to get the ‘best’ out of it I need to use a cheap cable, skip my DAP, switch to Android and use a sketchy app just to get the tuning it’s designed to have.

I think Crin is great and hope this is successful for him but this just isn’t the product for me.

Apr 4, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #65 of 207
I cancelled my preorder. I just can’t get past that to get the ‘best’ out of it I need to use a cheap cable, skip my DAP, switch to Android and use a sketchy app just to get the tuning it’s designed to have.

I think Crin is great and hope this is successful for him but this just isn’t the product for me.
I will take the fall and try it and if it's not worth it for me, I'll put it up at a reduced price here.

Apr 4, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #66 of 207

Crin posted the three filters used for the default tuning over the DSP cable, just btw.

If you're already using EQ, it is a cinch to put those filters in.

Not that anyone should feel compelled to buy anything. I've ordered it myself because the summer months are coming (sigh) and I know I won't want to use over-the-ear headphones nearly as much when it's hot. And I don't have higher end IEMs. Hoping this will give me enough of the qualities I get from the Elex, Ananda, Sundara etc. when it gets hot to keep me happy.

The filters:

- 1400Hz, -3dB, 0.8Q
- 5400Hz, -3dB, 2.0Q
- 14000Hz, -5dB, 2.0Q

Apr 4, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #67 of 207
the stock analogue tuning looks the best to me 🤷‍♂️ but I’ll reserve judgement until it arrives. In is odd that there is a slight change from the stock analogue to the stock dsp tuning- intentionally done with some minor eq.

Apr 4, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #68 of 207
the stock analogue tuning looks the best to me 🤷‍♂️ but I’ll reserve judgement until it arrives. In is odd that there is a slight change from the stock analogue to the stock dsp tuning- intentionally done with some minor eq.
It's not odd at all if you watch crinacles video where he perfectly explains it.

Apr 4, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #69 of 207
It's not odd at all if you watch crinacles video where he perfectly explains it.
I’ve watched it. I didn’t hear him explain why the default dsp tuning was different to the default analog one? Could you elaborate on what he said?

Apr 4, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #70 of 207
I’ve watched it. I didn’t hear him explain why the default dsp tuning was different to the default analog one? Could you elaborate on what he said?
Yeah he did.

The whole point of the DSP tuning is making the adjustments they weren't able to do through analogue means.

Whether one likes those tunings or not is a different matter. He even talks a bit about the specifics of why it wasn't feasible to get the DSP results with purely analogue tuning.

Apr 4, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #71 of 207
Because he couldn't do it with anlalogue tuning i.e. damping etc.

Apr 4, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #72 of 207
Because he couldn't do it with anlalogue tuning i.e. damping etc.
I must not have been paying attention when he said that. I thought I recalled him saying they went with the stock tuning because “if it’s not broke, don’t fix it”. I’m starting to wonder if he said that at all now.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #73 of 207
I must not have been paying attention when he said that. I thought I recalled him saying they went with the stock tuning because “if it’s not broke, don’t fix it”. I’m starting to wonder if he said that at all now.
He did also say that, don't worry. :)

Apr 4, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #74 of 207
He did also say that, don't worry. :)
Just watching it again, makes sense now. He says that then goes on to explain they made some minor adjustments / improvements with dsp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back