Moondrop VENUS Planar (and PARA): two surprisingly good orthodynamic headphones at a still reasonable price. Moondrop COSMO Planar: New Flagship.
Apr 16, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #346 of 390
In terms of my current listening experience, I still firmly believe that VENUS is the better earphone, The relatively low selling price may be due to being the first model.
Venus has a noticeably larger sound field, more open sound, and stronger reverberation dynamics, while COSMO is easier to drive a little bit. I still think COSMO is more like the second-generation PARA. But the sound of COSMO is still slowly changing, becoming fuller and more relaxed, and looking forward to a longer run. BTW, I don't like COSMO's pads, so I bought three different pads. When I listen, I will update my listening experience in more detail.
Hi, there.

For the FR, I'll leave it to you to decide whether the tone of the COSMO is more like that of the PARA than the VENUS, or whether it's something else entirely (to be discovered).

24041609142923553818389890.jpg

24041605104423553818389777.jpg

24041605104423553818389780.jpg

24041605211123553818389781.png

MOONDROP VDSF Target Response is a target frequency response curve based on the HRTF (Head Related Transfer Function) of B&K HATS under diffusion and theideal room preference curve. The closer the frequency response curve measuredunder B&K HATS is to the target frequency response curve, the more theearphones can reproduce soundstage imaging in terms of frequency response.
Source: https://moondroplab.com/en/graph

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 7:38 AM Post #347 of 390
Apr 17, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #348 of 390
Today is the third day after I received it, and I am very disappointed with COSMO. I have decided to sell it and hang it on the Chinese second-hand website named xianyu. I feel like I won't try this brand again in the future.

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #349 of 390
Today is the third day after I received it, and I am very disappointed with COSMO. I have decided to sell it and hang it on the Chinese second-hand website named xianyu. I feel like I won't try this brand again in the future.
Can you make any specific comments about what you don't like?

Apr 17, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #350 of 390
Can you make any specific comments about what you don't like?
The thickness of the mid frequency is insufficient, the low-frequency feel is minimal, the atmosphere is very poor, and the human voice is tasteless.
The sound field is not spacious enough.
I won't leave any further comments for now because the pads I bought haven't arrived yet. The default pads are catastrophic, and I hope more pads can save this smartphone. I also don't want to sell it at a discount shortly after buying it.

Apr 17, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #351 of 390
The thickness of the mid frequency is insufficient, the low-frequency feel is minimal, the atmosphere is very poor, and the human voice is tasteless.
The sound field is not spacious enough.
I won't leave any further comments for now because the pads I bought haven't arrived yet. The default pads are catastrophic, and I hope more pads can save this smartphone. I also don't want to sell it at a discount shortly after buying it.

Have you thought about using the VENUS pads with the COSMO (instead of the COSMO stock pads you don't like)?

If you think the COSMO is similar to the PARA in bass and midrange: PARA has less bass than the VENUS and also less low-medium, and is more mid-centric for the voices than the VENUS, with more forward, less warm vocals than the VENUS.

Well, see (try) what the VENUS pads can do for you (and your COSMO).

Concerning the PARA and VENUS, if the COSMO behaves like the PARA, you'll find these 3 graphs (in spoiler below) surely interesting, especially when using the VENUS pads on the PARA (and the COSMO?).

24041802423323553818390603.png

24041802423423553818390604.png

24041802423423553818390605.png

Se also :

24041803020523553818390606.png

24041803020523553818390607.png

24041605104423553818389780.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 8:49 PM Post #352 of 390
Have you thought about using the VENUS pads with the COSMO (instead of the COSMO stock pads you don't like)?

If you think the COSMO is similar to the PARA in bass and midrange: PARA has less bass than the VENUS and also less low-medium, and is more mid-centric for the voices than the VENUS, with more forward, less warm vocals than the VENUS.

Well, see (try) what the VENUS pads can do for you (and your COSMO).

Concerning the PARA and VENUS, if the COSMO behaves like the PARA, you'll find these 3 graphs (in spoiler below) surely interesting, especially when using the VENUS pads on the PARA (and the COSMO?).

24041802423323553818390603.png

24041802423423553818390604.png

24041802423423553818390605.png
I have also tried Venus's pad and Susvara's pad. I don't think COSMO is suitable for leather pads, the better one is Susvara's pad. But I definitely can't fix this pad, just stick it on and listen.
I bought an upgraded pad for Para, a hifiman material pad, a velvet pad, and an additional metal slice. I decided to give it a chance in the end to see what would happen.
Also, this headphone was really unpleasant to hear at the beginning. Whoever bought it will know.
The main drawback is the lack of emotion, insufficient reverberation, and insufficient mid to low frequencies, so I think it was a failure.
I discussed with another netizen who buy COSMO and he had the same feeling.

Apr 17, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #353 of 390
I have also tried Venus's pad and Susvara's pad. I don't think COSMO is suitable for leather pads, the better one is Susvara's pad. But I definitely can't fix this pad, just stick it on and listen.
I bought an upgraded pad for Para, a hifiman material pad, a velvet pad, and an additional metal slice. I decided to give it a chance in the end to see what would happen.
Also, this headphone was really unpleasant to hear at the beginning. Whoever bought it will know.
The main drawback is the lack of emotion, insufficient reverberation, and insufficient mid to low frequencies, so I think it was a failure.
I discussed with another netizen who buy COSMO and he had the same feeling.
Hi, there.

You are lucky enough to have two VENUS headphones at your disposal: how do you appreciate the COSMO sounds with the VENUS pads versus the VENUS and its stock pads (in immediate comparison).

For :
1: the soundstage (which is more spacious: the VENUS or the COSMO equipped with the VENUS pads?)
2: bass: amount of bass and dynamics
3: low midrange (quantity) and vocal warmth.
4: upper midrange (quantity) and treble ; treble too emphasised or to recessed or quite balanced to your ear?
5: and finally, the sound definition (resolution) of the headphone (VENUS and COSMO with the VENUS Pads); : identical, better, worse?

EDIT : If you prefer the more V-shaped tone of the VENUS (more lively and dynamic) (boosting bass and highs, with a more recessed upper midrange) to the wiser and mid-centric (and also less lively and dynamic) tone of the PARA and apparently also the COSMO (with its stock pads), then I think you need to do the following two things:

Replace the COSMO pads with those of the VENUS (as mentioned above).
And also replace the COSMO's stock balanced cable (made of pure copper) with the VENUS's stock balanced copper-silver cable (V-Line series), which I find better suited to the VENUS for clarity and dynamics, than, for example, Moondrop's UP cable (made of pure copper), which softens the headphones too much (loss of clarity).

The idea would be to take advantage of the COSMO's more technical driver (and its diaphragm 4 times thinner than that of the VENUS) with the earpads (and silver-plated copper stock cable) of the VENUS, which should play an essential role (especially the earpads) in the headset's tonality (more V-shaped for the VENUS and more mid-centric for the PARA and COSMO).
After that, as with everything, it's a question of taste, for the tone of the headphone.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 7:09 AM Post #354 of 390
Hello everyone.

I too have just received the COSMO, ordered from SHENZHENAUDIO (China) on April 12 and received today (in France) April 18.
Price paid (by CB) $899.00; i.e. 840 €.
The good news is that I didn't pay the 20% European VAT (168 € saved); perhaps the package was undervalued for its real price when examined at customs. :)

I'll be listening very carefully to the COSMO, in the hours and days to come, compared of course to the VENUS and the PARA I also own (with their stock pads), on my main audio system (Ampli Viva 2A3, with my CD-Player, blu-ray player and streaming (for YouTube).

Sina-drums (Drum Cover of Deep Purple, the DOORS and Dire Strait, in spoiler below); ADELE's voice from her Live concert at the Royal Albert Live (videos in spoiler), and Hans Zimmer's live concert in Prague, including the GLADIATOR Medley (in spoiler below) will be there.

I'll be listening to the COSMO also with the PARA's hybrid pads (very easy pad swapping) and also with the VENUS's stock pads (made of internally micro-perforated leather); I'll also be using the VENUS's symmetrical silver-plated cable, which I prefer for listening to the VENUS over the symmetrical UP cable, made of pure copper, which I bought as an option, and which I use in fine with the PARA.

Below you will find some photos of the COSMO.

Concerning the weight of the COSMO, I just measured it (without the cable), it is 542 g.
For comparison, the weight of the PARA (without the cable) is 513 g, and that of the VENUS (without the cable) is 561 g.

The weight of the stock symmetrical 4.4 mm cable (silver from the VENUS, which I really like (V Line series), with its double adapter to a 6.35 mm jack, is 52 g (43 g without the adapter) (this is a nice cable to look, fine and light, very pleasant to use).
The weight of the stock symmetrical 4.4 mm cable (black of the COSMO which I like less in its appearance), with its adapter to a 6.35 mm jack, is 107 g (double the weight of the stock cable of the VENUS, much thinner) .

To finish this post , you will notice that the earpads (interchangeable) of the COSMO, PARA (hybrid pads) and VENUS (leather pads) are very distinct and have a major role in the tone of the headset, for a given driver.

24041812301123553818390835.jpg

24041812301123553818390836.jpg

24041812301323553818390841.jpg

24041802061823553818390864.jpg

PARA hybrid pads (stock)

24041802061823553818390863.jpg

COSMO pads (stock)

24041812301323553818390842.jpg

VENUS pads (stock)

24041812301223553818390839.jpg

24041812301223553818390838.jpg

24041812301223553818390837.jpg

24041802453323553818390872.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #355 of 390
Hello everyone.

I too have just received the COSMO, ordered from SHENZHENAUDIO (China) on April 12 and received today (in France) April 18.
Price paid (by CB) $899.00; i.e. 840 €.
The good news is that I didn't pay the 20% European VAT (168 € saved); perhaps the package was undervalued for its real price when examined at customs. :)

I'll be listening very carefully to the COSMO, in the hours and days to come, compared of course to the VENUS and the PARA I also own (with their stock pads), on my main audio system (Ampli Viva 2A3, with my CD-Player, blu-ray player and streaming (for YouTube).

Sina-drums (Drum Cover of Deep Purple, the DOORS and Dire Strait, in spoiler below); ADELE's voice from her Live concert at the Royal Albert Live (videos in spoiler), and Hans Zimmer's live concert in Prague, including the GLADIATOR Medley (in spoiler below) will be there.

I'll be listening to the COSMO also with the PARA's hybrid pads (very easy pad swapping) and also with the VENUS's stock pads (made of internally micro-perforated leather); I'll also be using the VENUS's symmetrical silver-plated cable, which I prefer for listening to the VENUS over the symmetrical UP cable, made of pure copper, which I bought as an option, and which I use in fine with the PARA.

Below you will find some photos of the COSMO.

Concerning the weight of the COSMO, I just measured it (without the cable), it is 542 g.
For comparison, the weight of the PARA (without the cable) is 513 g, and that of the VENUS (without the cable) is 561 g.

The weight of the stock symmetrical 4.4 mm cable (silver from the VENUS, which I really like (V Line series), with its double adapter to a 6.35 mm jack, is 52 g (43 g without the adapter) (this is a nice cable to look, fine and light, very pleasant to use).
The weight of the stock symmetrical 4.4 mm cable (black of the COSMO which I like less in its appearance), with its adapter to a 6.35 mm jack, is 107 g (double the weight of the stock cable of the VENUS, much thinner) .

To finish this post , you will notice that the earpads (interchangeable) of the COSMO, PARA (hybrid pads) and VENUS (leather pads) are very distinct and have a major role in the tone of the headset, for a given driver.

24041812301123553818390835.jpg

24041812301123553818390836.jpg

24041812301323553818390841.jpg

24041802061823553818390864.jpg

PARA hybrid pads (stock)

24041802061823553818390863.jpg

COSMO pads (stock)

24041812301323553818390842.jpg

VENUS pads (stock)

24041812301223553818390839.jpg

24041812301223553818390838.jpg

24041812301223553818390837.jpg

24041802453323553818390872.jpg

I am currently using a Venus pad, but in reality, Venus pads are sold separately and very cheap. I have bought several pairs.
How do you feel ? How do you like COSMO ?

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #356 of 390
I am currently using a Venus pad, but in reality, Venus pads are sold separately and very cheap. I have bought several pairs.
Sorry, I didn't have time to listen to the COSMO with the VENUS pads (nor to the PARA pads too); in fact I didn't have time to listen to the COSMO at all (which is still sitting on its box); I just had time to take some photos at lunchtime (in France).
I swear I'll have a first listen to the COSMO (tonight in France) when I'm not so pressed for time.

Here's just one question for you, while I'm waiting to get down to some serious listening (as soon as I have the time): you mention VENUS pads that could be bought at retail.
Where did you buy them from?
I'd also like to buy several pairs; and why not three pairs: one for the VENUS (as a replacement); one for the COSMO and one for the PARA.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #357 of 390

Hello (or good evening) to everyone, depending on your country of origin (it's evening in France).

Well, I've just listened to the COSMO with my audio system, and I'm going to agree with friend @acclimatise, the COSMO's stock earpads don't suit the COSMO at all: to be brief, with the COSMO's stock pads it sounds weird, narrow for the soundstage (confined) and muffled (stuffy) in the treble, taking all the life out of the sound and voices, like a bis repetita of my Kernnerton Thror. A real shame.

But I wouldn't stop there, quite the contrary, because @acclimatise (and I) were right to think that the COSMO should be given a second chance with pads other than the stock ones, which honestly don't suit these headphones at all (at least for my old 58-year-old ears, which do however have a certain experience when it comes to "just right" sound (thanks to Sennheiser in particular).

And now, divine surprise, there's a solution to save your COSMO from disaster, and for very little extra money (exactly 34.53€). :)

After listening to the Sina-drums drums on this track (below), and noting the disaster with the COSMO and its original pads, I said to myself, well, let's try PARA's hybrid (stock) pads on the COSMO (instead of its unconvincing stock pads) ; they're very easy to change, and are, via a metal plate that the PARA and COSMO have, magnetically attached.

There, very good surprise, it sounds much better for the drums (snare drum, toms and cymbals): the sound comes back to life and breathes again: it is precise, clear, very fine, fast, very detailed, precise in the spatialization and much more open than with the stock COSMO pads; in fact it sounds even better than with the VENUS for the exquisite finesse of the cymbals, their timbre (which seems the most accurate to me) and their extension in the treble.

The definition and clarity are even better than the VENUS; the opening of the soundstage is identical (wide); on the second video of Sina's drums, we have even more spatial precision and 3D effect than with the VENUS; the cymbals are even finer and more detailed than with the VENUS; we feel the difference in resolution of the COSMO (+ PARA pads) which clearly exceeds that of the VENUS, in precision and finesse.

The mid-bass level is a little lower than that of the VENUS, but the extension in the sub-bass is good, and there is impact from the bass-drums. The dynamics of the COSMO are excellent, starting with that of the snare drum.

I also tried the stock COSMO pads on the PARA (rather than throwing them in the trash, which was my first intention), and there, another divine surprise, the stock COSMO pads work very well on the PARA , by giving it more bass (and even a little more than with the VENUS) and also less treble: as a result, the PARA becomes much more pleasant to listen to, just like the VENUS, with a its bassier, warmer, less tiring in the treble.

However, the resolution level of the PARA (equipped with the stock COSMO pads) is lower than that of the VENUS which is itself lower than that of the COSMO (equipped with the PARA pads).
Likewise, the finesse of the PARA in the treble (equipped with the stock COSMO pads) is lower than that of the VENUS, itself lower than that of the COSMO (equipped with the PARA pads).

I finally tried the VENUS pads on the COSMO; it's better than with the COSMO and its stock pads, but I was left wanting more: even if the bass level is higher in level, I find a little coloration in the lower midrange which dulls it and makes it lose clarity and definition, including the definition of the soundstage; it still lacks a little treble for the cymbals, and the opening is less good than with the COSMO equipped with the PARA pads.

The sound of the COSMO with the VENUS pads resembles that of the VENUS with a little less treble and even a little more low mids; I don't find it any better (or barely better than that of the VENUS).

As for the cables used, no upheaval, my synergistic preference goes to the V-Line cable in silvered copper for the VENUS which suits it well, to the pure copper Moondrop UP cable, with the PARA equipped with the COSMO pads, which suits it well, and the black pure copper cable, stock, which is good, and is very suitable for the COSMO equipped with PARA pads.

For ADELE's voice (see the two videos below), my description above applies just as much: I like the three headphones thus equipped (VENUS, PARA equipped with the stock COSMO pads and COSMO equipped with the stock pads PARA).

The resolution of COSMO > VENUS > PARA (thus equipped)
The finesse of the sound of COSMO > VENUS > PARA (thus equipped)
The clarity of COSMO > VENUS > PARA (thus equipped)
The PARA bass SPL level (+ COSMO pads) > VENUS > COSMO (+ PARA pads)
The dynamics of COSMO = VENUS > PARA (thus equipped)
The opening of the COSMO soundstage >= VENUS > PARA (thus equipped)
The spatial precision (3D) of COSMO > VENUS > PARA (thus equipped).

Note: Much better sound on the blu-ray of Adele's live concert (DTS-HD MASTER soundtrack) than on this YouTube video (poor sound quality)

Finally, a link to obtain the excellent hybrid earpads of the PARA, also very comfortable to wear with the COSMO, barely heavier than the PARA.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806550826814.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

24041810341723553818391172.jpg

EDIT : I almost forgot to mention that the COSMO's sensitivity (in dB/Vrms) is significantly lower than that of the PARA and VENUS (which is almost identical to within 1 dB for the latter two headphones).

To listen to SINA's drums at high SPL, I have to set the potentiometer on my VIVA 2A3 amp to almost 12 o'clock, whereas the volume potentiometer position is significantly lower with the VENUS (10.30 o'clock) and the PARA (10 o'clock).

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 1:36 AM Post #358 of 390
Do you recomend any pads available for purchase in EU with more breathability for Venus. That vegan skin is killing my enjoyment, ears are sweaty after couple of minutes. Also i plan to mod headband with longer elatic strap so it would be nice if pads were taller to compensate weaker clamp force. Can i just buy any earpads that i like with same diameter as orginal one?

Apr 19, 2024 at 4:00 AM Post #359 of 390
Hello (or good evening) to everyone, depending on your country of origin (it's evening in France).

Well, I've just listened to the COSMO with my audio system, and I'm going to agree with friend @acclimatise, the COSMO's stock earpads don't suit the COSMO at all: to be brief, with the COSMO's stock pads it sounds weird, narrow for the soundstage (confined) and muffled (stuffy) in the treble, taking all the life out of the sound and voices, like a bis repetita of my Kernnerton Thror. A real shame.

But I wouldn't stop there, quite the contrary, because @acclimatise (and I) were right to think that the COSMO should be given a second chance with pads other than the stock ones, which honestly don't suit these headphones at all (at least for my old 58-year-old ears, which do however have a certain experience when it comes to "just right" sound (thanks to Sennheiser in particular).

And now, divine surprise, there's a solution to save your COSMO from disaster, and for very little extra money (exactly 34.53€). :)

After listening to the Sina-drums drums on this track (below), and noting the disaster with the COSMO and its original pads, I said to myself, well, let's try PARA's hybrid (stock) pads on the COSMO (instead of its unconvincing stock pads) ; they're very easy to change, and are, via a metal plate that the PARA and COSMO have, magnetically attached.

There, very good surprise, it sounds much better for the drums (snare drum, toms and cymbals): the sound comes back to life and breathes again: it is precise, clear, very fine, fast, very detailed, precise in the spatialization and much more open than with the stock COSMO pads; in fact it sounds even better than with the VENUS for the exquisite finesse of the cymbals, their timbre (which seems the most accurate to me) and their extension in the treble.

The definition and clarity are even better than the VENUS; the opening of the soundstage is identical (wide); on the second video of Sina's drums, we have even more spatial precision and 3D effect than with the VENUS; the cymbals are even finer and more detailed than with the VENUS; we feel the difference in resolution of the COSMO (+ PARA pads) which clearly exceeds that of the VENUS, in precision and finesse.

The mid-bass level is a little lower than that of the VENUS, but the extension in the sub-bass is good, and there is impact from the bass-drums. The dynamics of the COSMO are excellent, starting with that of the snare drum.

I also tried the stock COSMO pads on the PARA (rather than throwing them in the trash, which was my first intention), and there, another divine surprise, the stock COSMO pads work very well on the PARA , by giving it more bass (and even a little more than with the VENUS) and also less treble: as a result, the PARA becomes much more pleasant to listen to, just like the VENUS, with a its bassier, warmer, less tiring in the treble.

However, the resolution level of the PARA (equipped with the stock COSMO pads) is lower than that of the VENUS which is itself lower than that of the COSMO (equipped with the PARA pads).
Likewise, the finesse of the PARA in the treble (equipped with the stock COSMO pads) is lower than that of the VENUS, itself lower than that of the COSMO (equipped with the PARA pads).

I finally tried the VENUS pads on the COSMO; it's better than with the COSMO and its stock pads, but I was left wanting more: even if the bass level is higher in level, I find a little coloration in the lower midrange which dulls it and makes it lose clarity and definition, including the definition of the soundstage; it still lacks a little treble for the cymbals, and the opening is less good than with the COSMO equipped with the PARA pads.

The sound of the COSMO with the VENUS pads resembles that of the VENUS with a little less treble and even a little more low mids; I don't find it any better (or barely better than that of the VENUS).

As for the cables used, no upheaval, my synergistic preference goes to the V-Line cable in silvered copper for the VENUS which suits it well, to the pure copper Moondrop UP cable, with the PARA equipped with the COSMO pads, which suits it well, and the black pure copper cable, stock, which is good, and is very suitable for the COSMO equipped with PARA pads.

For ADELE's voice (see the two videos below), my description above applies just as much: I like the three headphones thus equipped (VENUS, PARA equipped with the stock COSMO pads and COSMO equipped with the stock pads PARA).

The resolution of COSMO > VENUS > PARA (thus equipped)
The finesse of the sound of COSMO > VENUS > PARA (thus equipped)
The clarity of COSMO > VENUS > PARA (thus equipped)
The PARA bass SPL level (+ COSMO pads) > VENUS > COSMO (+ PARA pads)
The dynamics of COSMO = VENUS > PARA (thus equipped)
The opening of the COSMO soundstage >= VENUS > PARA (thus equipped)
The spatial precision (3D) of COSMO > VENUS > PARA (thus equipped).

Note: Much better sound on the blu-ray of Adele's live concert (DTS-HD MASTER soundtrack) than on this YouTube video (poor sound quality)

Finally, a link to obtain the excellent hybrid earpads of the PARA, also very comfortable to wear with the COSMO, barely heavier than the PARA.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806550826814.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

24041810341723553818391172.jpg

EDIT : I almost forgot to mention that the COSMO's sensitivity (in dB/Vrms) is significantly lower than that of the PARA and VENUS (which is almost identical to within 1 dB for the latter two headphones).

To listen to SINA's drums at high SPL, I have to set the potentiometer on my VIVA 2A3 amp to almost 12 o'clock, whereas the volume potentiometer position is significantly lower with the VENUS (10.30 o'clock) and the PARA (10 o'clock).

I have found two different types of earmuffs, but the merchant missed sending me EP-100A. I will have to wait a few more days.
I just received these two types of earmuffs, and my first impression was that they were both better than the default ones. Both of these earmuffs are similar to hifiman's earmuffs, but I cannot determine which one is better because I feel different when paired with different headphone cables. Additionally, perhaps different types of music should be considered, as this will result in more variables.
But what I can confirm is that the default earmuffs are garbage. I am very puzzled now, how MOONDROP successfully selected this worst earmuff.
I have decided to keep this headphone, selling it will result in losses.

Attachments

• 6910dad18bca1be5dc1ad2c5d9d75868_720.jpg
    6910dad18bca1be5dc1ad2c5d9d75868_720.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 0
  • be27085f579bcd1cefc841c16f198bcf_720.jpg
    be27085f579bcd1cefc841c16f198bcf_720.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 0
  • c58ba493de4a307a08e42438b87ad064_720.jpg
    c58ba493de4a307a08e42438b87ad064_720.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 0
Apr 19, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #360 of 390
I have found two different types of earmuffs, but the merchant missed sending me EP-100A. I will have to wait a few more days.
I just received these two types of earmuffs, and my first impression was that they were both better than the default ones. Both of these earmuffs are similar to hifiman's earmuffs, but I cannot determine which one is better because I feel different when paired with different headphone cables. Additionally, perhaps different types of music should be considered, as this will result in more variables.
But what I can confirm is that the default earmuffs are garbage. I am very puzzled now, how MOONDROP successfully selected this worst earmuff.
I have decided to keep this headphone, selling it will result in losses.

Hi all.

I've just listened again my COSMO equipped with PARA's pads this evening (in France).

My first impressions are confirmed.

The sound is very pure, clear, transparent, but not insipid; it's extremely fine, with a remarkable soundstage, both spacious (like that of the VENUS, or even a little more so) and above all extremely precise in space, with a marked 3D effect and a separation of instruments and voices that stand out against a black background, even blacker than that of the VENUS.
Spatial precision is much better than that of the VENUS, which is blurrier in comparison.
The COSMO thus equipped (from the PARA pads) reminds me of my old e-stat STAX SR-009 headphones, but much better in the upper midrange (less shouty than the Stax) and in the treble, better balanced, less emphasized; the bass level is similar to that of a Stax SR-009, i.e., not high SPL, but with very good extension in the sub-bass and remarkable texture; bass precision and definition are excellent.
I think the COSMO's technicality easily equals that of the Stax 009, both in finesse, resolution, spatialization and detachment of sound against a black background.
Tone is better, with a high midrange and treble less emphasized than the Stax, at the right level, with bass that's admittedly light, but deep and remarkably textured.

In comparison, the VENUS is less fine and precise than the COSMO equipped with the PARA's pads; its soundstage is just as spacious, but less precise, fuzzier; the bass level is higher, but also coarser in texture and definition; ditto for the treble, more prominent, but less fine.
The COSMO's delicacy in the treble (with the PARA's pads) is remarkable, whether on cymbals or in the upper harmonics of voices and musical instruments.
The VENUS, with its more prominent low midrange, gives more warmth and thickness to the sound, but a certain lack of precision in this frequency range means that the sound (and voices) appear more colored and less pure, as if tainted; spatially speaking, they are also less separated and detached on a black, grayer background, making them less sharp, less contrasted, less "3D".

As an example of "pure" sound, clear and transparent, well-focused and spatially separated, this vocal duet (love song) from Purcel's King Arthur highlights all the qualities listed above of the COSMO re-equipped with PARA's pads.

To conclude this post, a word of advice to Moondrop about the COSMO: if the COSMO's stock pads displease most people (like @acclimatise and myself at the moment), I think that the COSMO's offer should be completed with a second pair of pads (in addition to the stock pads), and why not those of the PARA (or the PARA's replacement pad reference, the EP-100A pads at $28); the PARA (which is worth $600 less than the COSMO) is nevertheless well equipped with two pairs of pads ; so why not the COSMO as well; this can only appeal to potential future buyers of the COSMO, which I really think has enormous potential, at least equal to that of a very good pair of electrostatic headphones, but with better tonality (for the COSMO equipped with the PARA pads ; not with the stock pads which didn't convince me at all), at least from what I'm hearing again tonight.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back