Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
May 8, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #11,986 of 12,007
Nice, you got them. Faster than expected since they said it would take another month only a week ago?
Looking forward to your impressions if you are doing those, as you have both this and the 5EST, I'm quite interested in either (although my Dusk order is now cancelled, but not a big loss because I was an April 11 order, lol).
Yeah they said it would take another month, then it was shipped less than a week later. I'll do some basic impressions but I'm not really good at reviewing or giving detailed impressions to be honest.

May 8, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #11,987 of 12,007
Yeah they said it would take another month, then it was shipped less than a week later. I'll do some basic impressions but I'm not really good at reviewing or giving detailed impressions to be honest.

Sometimes, it's totally okay to just sit back and enjoy the music.

May 8, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #11,989 of 12,007
So my Dusk finally arrived today.

No issues with the DSP cable so far, app works fine and it changes eq settings instantly - perhaps they’ve updated/ fixed it, hence the delay following the first batch?
And if they indeed did, then it's so nice from this community (again) to continuously take their frustration out on this product, making a meme out of it. Basing a purchasing decision on the hope of future software updates is not responsible, so anybody advising caution was right, but burying this thing for ever in smug superiority is a different thing imo.

May 8, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #11,990 of 12,007
The default DSP setting is very similar to the M5E btw, the Dusk is a tad smoother to my ears than the M5E - in default DSP, but there isn't much in it. Not a surprise really when you look at the graphs:

Attachments

• IMG_3151.png
    IMG_3151.png
    182.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #11,991 of 12,007
And if they indeed did, then it's so nice from this community (again) to continuously take their frustration out on this product, making a meme out of it. Basing a purchasing decision on the hope of future software updates is not responsible, so anybody advising caution was right, but burying this thing for ever in smug superiority is a different thing imo.
It could be that I'm just lucky its playing nice with the m300 but the software has been fine, smooth and changes eq instantly.

May 8, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #11,994 of 12,007
I'm looking forward to this boss fight:
graph.png
Switched back to analogue now as with dsp my m300 only uses 15 stage volume control like when tws is connected instead of the full 100 step volume. I tend to find one step up goes from too quiet to too loud. Also, it really is too similar to m5e for me in default dap. Analogue is a little different, it’s leaner and a little brighter to my ears.

May 8, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #11,995 of 12,007
It’s also considerably chunkier than the m5e - which sits almost flush with my ear:

Attachments

• IMG_3170.jpeg
    IMG_3170.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
May 9, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #11,997 of 12,007
Is it on par resolution-wise with the Dusk?
From early impressions and some short a/b comparisons, in analogue, the M5E is better. To me, the timbre is more natural and it has better tonality, whilst still being resolving. However, the Dusk has slightly better imaging and separation to my ears.

May 9, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #11,998 of 12,007
I’m not sure why but the Dusk seems to be more tip sensitive than my other iem’s. Switching to a narrow bore really reduces the upper treble.

I’m finding the spring tips the best match so far, for me - but no doubt that will change again in the near future.

Tri clarions were probably my favourite pairing but I only have them in large, and they feel a tad too big with the Dusk. Have some mediums coming tomorrow. Also have some Whizzer ET100s on the way.

May 9, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #11,999 of 12,007
I’m not sure why but the Dusk seems to be more tip sensitive than my other iem’s. Switching to a narrow bore really reduces the upper treble.

I’m finding the spring tips the best match so far, for me - but no doubt that will change again in the near future.

Tri clarions were probably my favourite pairing but I only have them in large, and they feel a tad too big with the Dusk. Have some mediums coming tomorrow. Also have some Whizzer ET100s on the way.

I rolled with the Dunu S&S and the Final Type E, they really do clean up and respond accordingly to tip rolling.

Found the Dunu S&S was more balanced but Final Type E had the better fit for me.

May 10, 2024 at 3:23 AM Post #12,000 of 12,007
I rolled with the Dunu S&S and the Final Type E, they really do clean up and respond accordingly to tip rolling.

Found the Dunu S&S was more balanced but Final Type E had the better fit for me.
I just can’t get a fit with Dunu s&s tips due to their weird cylinder shape, have had the same issue on all iem’s with those tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back