Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #11,853 of 12,011
In my opinion, if moondrop presents the product as a "DSP in ear monitor", i will judge it as it is.
If the DSP implementation is bad, so is the product as a whole.
I didnt test it with another cable as i wanted a DSP in ear monitor and already contacted the store to return it, sorry.

Dec 25, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #11,856 of 12,011
My Chu's stopped working yesterday. There is sound, but it's super thin and sounds like it's played through a tin can. Both sides.
Anyone tried something similar?

Dec 25, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #11,859 of 12,011
Wax in bores?
No, nothing there. I'm pretty sure it's something that's not working in the IEM'S. Tried all my other ones and they work fine, and also tested the Chu on 3 amps, all with the same result 😑

That sounds like a bad cable. Probably time to upgrade lol.
Yeah. I really like the Chu for the price/performance ratio, even prefer them over the Aria Snow I have.
Not sure what IEM to get instead, but I'll have to investigate a bit :)

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #11,860 of 12,011
No, nothing there. I'm pretty sure it's something that's not working in the IEM'S. Tried all my other ones and they work fine, and also tested the Chu on 3 amps, all with the same result 😑
Tried moving the cable around a bit, and in different spots? As for other IEMs, well I do enjoy my Chu II (also with Dawn Pro - not like these iems need that though :D ), but I didn't have the first Chu for comparison. Certainly it might be more durable though, with a replaceable cable and easily replaceable filters.

Dec 25, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #11,861 of 12,011
Tried moving the cable around a bit, and in different spots? As for other IEMs, well I do enjoy my Chu II (also with Dawn Pro - not like these iems need that though :D ), but I didn't have the first Chu for comparison. Certainly it might be more durable though, with a replaceable cable and easily replaceable filters.
Yes, I did mess around with them for a bit, and I could not get the he sound back to normal again.
I am considering just getting another pair, but upgrading to something with better technical capabilities is also very interesting. Might not be Moondrop though, unless they have something that might be similar to Simgot EA1000.

Dec 25, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #11,862 of 12,011
Yes, I did mess around with them for a bit, and I could not get the he sound back to normal again.
I am considering just getting another pair, but upgrading to something with better technical capabilities is also very interesting. Might not be Moondrop though, unless they have something that might be similar to Simgot EA1000.
Is there a reason you are sticking with lower budget IEMs? Just curious, cause I wouldn't describe the HE1000 a budget HP lol.

Moondrop hasn't been impressing me lately. I had QC issues with my Variations a while back, and Dark Saber hasn't been very compelling. From what others are reporting, seems like the May is also having some teething troubles, not great. I used to favor Moondrop over Thieaudio before the new crop of IEMs dropped, but the Monarch MK3 is really starting to change my mind.

Dec 26, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #11,863 of 12,011
Is there a reason you are sticking with lower budget IEMs? Just curious, cause I wouldn't describe the HE1000 a budget HP lol.

Moondrop hasn't been impressing me lately. I had QC issues with my Variations a while back, and Dark Saber hasn't been very compelling. From what others are reporting, seems like the May is also having some teething troubles, not great. I used to favor Moondrop over Thieaudio before the new crop of IEMs dropped, but the Monarch MK3 is really starting to change my mind.
Yes, there is a reason, money 🤑 😁
I know I'll spend most of my time with my headphones, and they offer something I doubt I'll ever get with IEM's. So I try not to spend too much on IEM's, and instead spend the money on the gear I use the most, headphones.
The Simgot EA1000 seems like great value, good sound without spending too much.
But what would be your suggestion for the IEM worlds version of the HE1000? 👀

Dec 26, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #11,864 of 12,011
Yes, there is a reason, money 🤑 😁
I know I'll spend most of my time with my headphones, and they offer something I doubt I'll ever get with IEM's. So I try not to spend too much on IEM's, and instead spend the money on the gear I use the most, headphones.
The Simgot EA1000 seems like great value, good sound without spending too much.
But what would be your suggestion for the IEM worlds version of the HE1000? 👀
I agree on that, HPs do provide things IEMs don't. IEMs can't move air like HPs can, they are also much more finicky than HPs for hitting natural tonality.

What I think IEMs do better than HPs is hitting higher precision thresholds at lower price points. This is just due to inertia, HP size drivers are moving larger diaphrams longer distances to move more air, so impulse response suffers and THD tends to be higher at comparable price points. Typical DD HPs have upwards of 1% THD in general and around 3% in the bass region around the $250 mark, whereas a BA IEM will have 0.3% THD across the spectrum in the same price bracket. The sound may not be as visceral, but it's cleaner IME.

Obviously this changes as we move to planars and electrostatics, but then we are talking 1k+ summit-fi stuff, at which point IMO there is no peer to electrostats. IEMs compete precision-wise (THD, IR, etc), but can't possibly replicate the SPL that something like the SR009 or HE-1 can.

I'm not sure what exactly an HE1000 equivalent means in this context, I'll assume it means entry level TOTL. I'm really liking the Maestro SE. It's closest analog from moondrop's catalog tuning-wise is the Variations IMO, but it's way better. No midbass tuck stealing energy from drumkits and bass guitars, better handled gain region tuning (for me anyway, YMMV of course), and higher precision from the 7 additional drivers handling the midrange and treble. It's also pretty good at adding in the physical feel to sound that tends to be absent from IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back