Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Aug 23, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #11,761 of 12,007
I just put order in for these as they will be my first TWS, and my main use case will be listening to podcasts, audiobooks, etc. How do these compare to other TWS in the price range? Also, how much of a distraction is the hiss? *and is tip rolling recommended?
I don't have much experience with other tws. I only tried Soundcore Life P2 mini. And I prefer moondrop no doubt about that.
As for the hiss, I have to correct my statement. Actually hiss is only with 'transparency' mode. With anc on/off I don't really noticed that.

One nitpick is that they dont go very loud. Sometimes with quiet classical recordings they are running out of steam.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #11,762 of 12,007
I don't have much experience with other tws. I only tried Soundcore Life P2 mini. And I prefer moondrop no doubt about that.
As for the hiss, I have to correct my statement. Actually hiss is only with 'transparency' mode. With anc on/off I don't really noticed that.

One nitpick is that they dont go very loud. Sometimes with quiet classical recordings they are running out of steam.
good to know! for the low gain, seems like an easy fix with wavelet and/or equalizer apo.

Aug 24, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #11,764 of 12,007
I think you won't be disappointed. If you tried Moondrop Quarks DSP and liked them I cannot see you not liking Space Travel :wink:
I wanted to read something like this. I love the Quarks DSP but that cable...
I was thinking of getting these to replace my use of the Quarks DSP as something light to use before sleep, while cooking, things like that, but of course, that nice sound signature.

Aug 24, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #11,765 of 12,007
Hi, I I have an upgrade question. I have moondrop Starfield. For me there is unpleasant upper mid glare- something akin to grating sound with violin strings for instance.
I am looking something without that and possibly a bit more bass, or maybe smoother treble. Up to 170$, and not necessary from moondrop. Any input is appreciated. Th x
The Tachjim Hana 2021 and/or the Moondrop Kato would fulfill your needs quite well. Caveats: the Hana has a shallow insertion. That might be an issue for you. The Kato needs burn-in until its distortion resolves as the driver settles. That takes about 40 hours of use. The Hana does not need burn-in. Also, the Kato really comes into its own with ePro horn tips. The ePros give the Kato significantly more soundstage width and open up midrange. There is a subtle difference, but I find the brass nozzle to give the Kato a teensy bit more finesse in the midrange. I find the Spring tips that come with the Kato to accentuate resonance/distortion harmonics, YMMV. Finally, if you can afford or already own a balanced cable for the Kato, buy/use it with the Kato. Going balanced with a dongle like the Paw S1 or S2 is wonderful pairing with the Kato.

My favorite "reasonably-priced" cable for the Kato: https://hifigo.com/products/hakugei-lucky-voice-headset-cable

The Kato is on sale right now for $167. The sale ends on 8/27.

I have the Hifiman RE 600s, the 800's little brother, that is similarly shaped to the 800. It does well with tonality for violins but I find the earphones fall out of my ears easily. Also, you have the less than stellar Hifiman reliability to consider. IME, the Hifiman RE 400 and 600 are "disposable" earphones. You get six months of use then they fail. Others may have different experiences. Maybe the 800 has better reliability?

I hope that helps.

edit and postscript: I did direct A/B comparisons between 2 Kato units. One unit with hundreds of hours of use vs. a new set. There were audible differences in distortion but not a difference in frequency response/tuning per se. The new set's distortion resolved over time to match the well-used set.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #11,767 of 12,007
Why do I find the Kato so boring?

Sep 12, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #11,768 of 12,007
personal taste.

The idea is that headphones are subjective to your personal taste and the music you love, if the signature of the earphone matches well to energiize and make the music you like stand out, you will love it and find it exciting, and if it dosnt, you will find it dull and boring since it makes your music sound flat and not exciting.

you could love EDM, 80´s rock, or even Tibetan throat singing, and you have to find the signature and the earphones which make the music you like sound best.

So as good as the kato is, its only good if your musical tastes are well represented by its abilities.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 3:26 AM Post #11,769 of 12,007
I love the Kato look. I just wish the bass slammed more and the treble sizzle more.

Sep 21, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #11,771 of 12,007
As someone who wants to try IEM'S for the first time, to get an idea of what they can do, compared to headphones: Is the MD CHU good enough to introduce me to IEM'S capabilities, or should I go for the Aria instead?
I'm just looking for a good introduction, and don't expect fantastic sound for this price. If I like what IEM'S can bring to the table, I will explore more expensive options later.
They will be driven by the Dawn Pro.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #11,772 of 12,007
As someone who wants to try IEM'S for the first time, to get an idea of what they can do, compared to headphones: Is the MD CHU good enough to introduce me to IEM'S capabilities, or should I go for the Aria instead?
I'm just looking for a good introduction, and don't expect fantastic sound for this price. If I like what IEM'S can bring to the table, I will explore more expensive options later.
Try Simgot ew200, really solid sub $50

Sep 22, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #11,773 of 12,007

The Aria 2021 is obsolete in 2023.

Would also recommend the Simgot EW200 as above as a decent beginner pair. If you are coming from headphones, IEMs will lose most of the time in soundstage, they sound "in your head" in comparison, though generally IEMs are more portable and generally require less amplification. Sub-bass may also be better than open backed headphones due to a eartip seal.

Sep 22, 2023 at 5:04 AM Post #11,775 of 12,007
Thanks a lot for the recommendations 😊 Anyone knows if there are retailer's of Simgot inside Europe? Would love to try them, but the hassle and cost of importing them from the US or China does put me off quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back