Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Apr 8, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #11,671 of 11,979
I ordered the Moondrop Variations on the last AliExpress sale and they arrived only two days ago but I already can tell I'm nothing short of impressed!
My first impressions so far have been:

Compared to the Blessing 2 Dusk (my now second most expensive IEM), the Variations just destroys it. I've seen reviews saying that if you had the Dusk the improvement would be minor while others said it would be significant, so I honestly wasn't expecting much upgrade in technicalities (just sound signature) but wow. These are already so good and I say this with very little use.

So far I have used them to listen to a few K-Pop tracks released this year on my playlists and a few older tracks. In every song, without exception, I'm listening to either new stuff of getting a better presentation. Of course, the 'better' here is completely subjective since they do present female vocals very forward but this is how I like it.

I also trying them for gaming, in particular the last 5 or 6 hours of A Plague Tale Requiem. For those that may not know, the game has a very good sound, with open areas, great dialogue and fantastic moving soundtrack. For comparison, I did play a good part of it with the Dusk and it was already great as it gave a sense good of openness, much better than any other thing I did try, that was of course until I got the Variations. I can't comment on imaging as this is not the game to test it but as far as soundstage goes in no more than 5 minutes I could see a clear upgrade, and not just that 5% to 10%, something that clearly makes you open your mouth in disbelief.

In short, I'm liking the Variations so much that I honestly can say that if anything happen to them one day, I will not even look into something different, I'll just get them again. Basically with them, for me, there is no more upgrade for me, only side grades. I do plan to get something on this tier of quality but with a different sound signature in the future but I could honestly stay a decade with them and never think about getting another IEM.

Moondrop Variations small.jpg
One part of the Variations that ppl complained about is recessed lower mid. And some samples more heavily than others according to reviewers like gizaudio. perhaps you got the perfect version lol

Apr 9, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #11,672 of 11,979
😀

Attachments

• graph (2).png
    graph (2).png
    278.5 KB · Views: 0
Apr 9, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #11,674 of 11,979
It's not easy to insert eartips onto Variations as there are no markers. Transparent tips like H570 are a great match to Variations, because the opening is almost as wide as the nozzle diameter and not only because of that. Dunu S&S are more shallow and the dark color makes it difficult to place evenly.

One part of the Variations that ppl complained about is recessed lower mid. And some samples more heavily than others according to reviewers like gizaudio. perhaps you got the perfect version lol
Thanks to AutoEQ I can make the bass and lower mids similar to Xenns Up. I don't touch the upper mids and treble and like this EQ so far!

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #11,676 of 11,979
I think that was e40 for the cheapest one, and CKR series for more expansive one if I recall correctly. They sound really interesting as well, the staging is quite unique
Theirs was a different configuration where the drivers were wired out of phase but also aiming in opposite directions to create and sealed isobaric chamber between them but the diaphragms moved in the same direction and acoustic phase. This one has them wired in phase with them making sound by moving in opposite directions pressurizing the chamber and the sound you hear coming from the vent between them.

Also different than the Dunu mentioned.

More similar to Trifecta but by using the small chamber with small outlet, the enclosure portion of the damping will be greater and if designed as a bandpass type chamber/vent may naturally roll off it's mids without (as much) crossover help. JHA does that with the mid drivers of the Lola.

At least that's how I interpret their info on the subject. You don't get a natural bandpass from a dual driver without that type of usage and enclosure.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #11,677 of 11,979
Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #11,678 of 11,979
From B3's listing:
"The symmetrical H.O.D.D.D.U.S arrangement focuses the magnetic field at the magnetic gap of the two dynamic drivers, leveraging the same principle found in planar magnetic earphones. This not only improves energy conversion efficiency, but also further reduces nonlinear distortion."
Screenshot_2023-04-10-17-51-27-240_com.taobao.taobao.png

Apr 11, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #11,680 of 11,979
Must be a finger print magnet.

Apr 15, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #11,682 of 11,979
With the Blessing 3’s release, I’ve been revisiting my Dusk (on the FiiO BTR7), to see what I find lacking. Not enough (with the sparse customer feedback) for me to justify the B3. The Dusk is extremely friendly to PEQ tweaking.

I think I’ll continue to save the “fun” money for the Xenns Top.

Apr 15, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #11,683 of 11,979
With the Blessing 3’s release, I’ve been revisiting my Dusk (on the FiiO BTR7), to see what I find lacking. Not enough (with the sparse customer feedback) for me to justify the B3. The Dusk is extremely friendly to PEQ tweaking.

I think I’ll continue to save the “fun” money for the Xenns Top.
Funny thing is (not ha-ha funny, but peculiar funny) IEMs that sounded good 5 years ago, still sound good now. The industry doesn't want you to believe that, but its true

Apr 16, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #11,684 of 11,979
Everyone every reviewer absolutely hating on this IEM, only Z didn't. It is fantastic! I love it, Donku ear tips definitely improved the sound for me so much! I intend try out Spinfit for long nozzeled IEM tips. It is my first IEM from Moondrop. I definitely appraise them for not following trends with this Harman Curve target stuff. I don't see it as anyway a cash grab not at all. I mean yeah sure improvements can be done in the next next iteration. I have the Audeze Isine 10 so not like my first planar. I have it for years. This is coming from a guy that can't stand too much treble I EQ it mostly pop prog etc..

Apr 16, 2023 at 4:13 AM Post #11,685 of 11,979
Everyone every reviewer absolutely hating on this IEM, only Z didn't. It is fantastic! I love it, Donku ear tips definitely improved the sound for me so much! I intend try out Spinfit for long nozzeled IEM tips. It is my first IEM from Moondrop. I definitely appraise them for not following trends with this Harman Curve target stuff. I don't see it as anyway a cash grab not at all. I mean yeah sure improvements can be done in the next next iteration. I have the Audeze Isine 10 so not like my first planar. I have it for years. This is coming from a guy that can't stand too much treble I EQ it mostly pop prog etc..
Which IEM are you talking about here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back