Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jan 8, 2023 at 4:57 AM Post #11,582 of 11,982
I don't even bother with the stock cable on super budget iems due to the look/feel so I wouldn't know.

The stock cable of the zero didn't look super bad though, and I doubt the engineers would put something so subpar it would make their iem measure badly, every company wants its product to shine in reviews, I trust their engineers better than myself (not sure about the old kz line though lol, and some non-removable moondrop iems had terrible microphonics)

By the way, https://www.cordial-cables.com/en/skin-effect

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #11,583 of 11,982
I don't even bother with the stock cable on super budget iems due to the look/feel so I wouldn't know.

The stock cable of the zero didn't look super bad though, and I doubt the engineers would put something so subpart it would make their iem measure badly, every company wants its product to shine in reviews, I trust their engineers better than myself (not sure about the old kz line though lol, and some non-removable moondrop iems had terrible microphonics)

By the way, https://www.cordial-cables.com/en/skin-effect
Thank you for sharing this link. I will need to spend some time digging through it. As an electrical engineer, I am encouraged to see the conclusion regarding skin effect “All in all, in the field of audio technology the skin effect does not have any significant consequences and can safely be ignored.” This is clearly true for the frequencies of interest to audio - I experience a combination of amusement and shock when I read cable enthusiasts use the term to explain in part how cables can make a difference.

Jan 8, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #11,584 of 11,982
Yeah, I guess I won't bother anymore trying to argue though, because there's such a cognitive dissonance in people who refuse to admit they're wrong / have been fooled and see their little world of illusions fall apart that it's impossible to get anywhere productive, they will make up stuff like "blind tests are flawed because of the pressure to give an answer" and whatnot.

But then maybe listening to the gear with the help of music, instead of listening to music with the help of gear is the problem in the first place.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #11,585 of 11,982
Btw I'm starting to be quite convinced about EQ, I'm on linux and since some time we have convenient HQ quality without having to resort to exclusive access / bit perfect thanks to pipewire, and can insert effects transparently with easyeffects including a para EQ that takes APO settings, so it's pretty simple and I prefer the sound of both the KPE and Aria SE with the settings found at https://github.com/iwalton3/AutoEq/tree/master/results_ief_with_bass/crinacle/ief_neutral_in-ear

Been always reluctant to EQ but I'm starting to think it's a small "price to pay" to get a perfect FR out of 80$ iems tbh

But that also makes one appreciate how well or bad an iem is tuned out of the box, here it's really good the adjustments are small, same can be said for the salnotes zero.

The KZ Zex pro otoh... it's catastrophic. And even after EQ it sound off timbre wise. You don't make a race horse out a donkey.

Well I can suppose I have decent taste then lol, because everything matches what I hear so far.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #11,586 of 11,982
I've used the Aria Snow ❄️ since christmas now, mostly for games.

They're great for music, bc of their sound signature, but I have so many others and
not enough ears to use them all at time though 😅

Music:
My FiiO Q1 Mark II adds a bit low end to them, they're like a small-sized budget version of my Celestee. They sound boring compared to the 7Hz Timeless AE. They're miles better than the Chu's and they're good for critical listening at this price point and that even on-the-go (!), but they're not suitable when you just want to ''feel'' the music, sink in the music, which I prefer when I doing other stuff.
When you have time to put every song apart, which I do when I just hear music and nothing else, they can be pretty good.

Gaming:
In short, I use the Aria Snow ❄️ for singleplayer games. The dialogues are a bit upfront, which is good for rpg games. The rumble of car engines for example could be better. They're not anywhere near my Tygr 300 R in details and imaging, but for in-ears they're solid.

The comfort is excellent. They fit perfectly in my ears. I don’t feel them at all, even after hours.
I have times, where I don't need crystal clear sound or Over-Ears for like FIFA or any other game, It depends on my mood.
I don't think they're top tier for (competitive) gaming, but it's a good alternative when you don't have the mood to stick an Over-Ear on your head.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #11,587 of 11,982
Just bought Moondrop Quark DSP for office gift exchange thingy
i want to try it first,
On first impression on few song, moving from my current daily KZ PR1 Pro this sounds nice. Not as harsh, clean mids but still with punchy bass.
Could it be better? sure (moving from PR1 Pro, the song feels a bit slower in Quark DSP somehow). Any Major complaints with it? not really... but one.

It somehow disable my virtual keyboard in my Android phone (Poco X3), is this an issue that people experience before?

Jan 26, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #11,588 of 11,982
Just bought Moondrop Quark DSP for office gift exchange thingy
i want to try it first,
On first impression on few song, moving from my current daily KZ PR1 Pro this sounds nice. Not as harsh, clean mids but still with punchy bass.
Could it be better? sure (moving from PR1 Pro, the song feels a bit slower in Quark DSP somehow). Any Major complaints with it? not really... but one.

It somehow disable my virtual keyboard in my Android phone (Poco X3), is this an issue that people experience before?
Yea Quark DSP got much better tuning than original thin sounding quarks, pretty satisfying sub $20 IEM until recent fullsize LCP backed Lea, then high-grade LCP backed Truthear HOLA. I like DSP’s tuning over HOLA’s hope they flipped the tuning in exchange or drivers.

Quark DSP does some strange thing with play/pause button operation with some devices, so yea maybe next model of DSP we get better backends

Jan 26, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #11,589 of 11,982
Yea Quark DSP got much better tuning than original thin sounding quarks, pretty satisfying sub $20 IEM until recent fullsize LCP backed Lea, then high-grade LCP backed Truthear HOLA. I like DSP’s tuning over HOLA’s hope they flipped the tuning in exchange or drivers.

Quark DSP does some strange thing with play/pause button operation with some devices, so yea maybe next model of DSP we get better backends

Do you get a hiss with the Quark DSP? Ie the inbuild DAC has a poor noise floor?

And how is it techincally compared to some other budget single DD types?

Thanks in advance!

Jan 26, 2023 at 5:30 AM Post #11,590 of 11,982
My quark didn't quite hiss, (or i might not notice)

but that disabled virtual keyboard thing, apparently my Phone partially thinks that Quark DSP is an external keyboard.
i simply change the setting from to keep virtual keyboard on even with external keyboard attached and its normal again.

...oh i have to give my Quark DSP away tomorrow on office events... i'm gonna missed you.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #11,592 of 11,982
New moondrop IEM with detachable cable? No further details on their Instagram post, does anyone have more info?
Screenshot_20230129-230615_Instagram_1.png

Jan 30, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #11,593 of 11,982
Looks like a Chu 2 or Chu Snow Edition or Jiu 3.5mm etc.

Feb 2, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #11,594 of 11,982
Hello, first time really getting into IEMs and apologies if this is slightly off-topic regarding listening impressions, but I've been trying to look for a Moondrop thread and this is the only one I found.

I purchased a Moondrop Blessing2:Dusk and I wanted to get an aftermarket cable from Forza Audioworks pretty much straight away, because I think their products are bangers.
Their Hybrid Series offers multiple choices though and I don't know which will fit these:
Is "CIEM 2-Pin recessed (L-shaped)" what I'm looking for here?

Feb 2, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #11,595 of 11,982
Hello, first time really getting into IEMs and apologies if this is slightly off-topic regarding listening impressions, but I've been trying to look for a Moondrop thread and this is the only one I found.

I purchased a Moondrop Blessing2:Dusk and I wanted to get an aftermarket cable from Forza Audioworks pretty much straight away, because I think their products are bangers.
Their Hybrid Series offers multiple choices though and I don't know which will fit these:
Is "CIEM 2-Pin recessed (L-shaped)" what I'm looking
I think a L shaped connector may not be ideal, I'd choose a straight one with ear hook. They also don't mention what's the pin's thickness (0.78 or 0.75 mm).
The blessing 2 uses a 2 pin 0.78mm recessed connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back