Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jun 14, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #11,251 of 11,982
@MOONDROP is the new Snow Aria retuned to the VDSF target ala Chu?

Jun 14, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #11,252 of 11,982
I was considering getting the Hook X as my 2nd IEM to compliment my Matte Steel Katos. I was told Moondrop is releasing one and was told to checkout forum. I hope they do a cook body. That's not painted. The design is is important too me also
Don’t bother with the hook x. Even the Starfields are better in my personal opinion. Spent the last few days doing comparisons of Hook X, Excalibur and Starfield, the Hook X was definitely my least favorite. If you listen to a lot of hip hop/r&b it’s good but if you’re a versatile listener, it’s really not great in anything else and the Starfields technicalities are much better

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #11,255 of 11,982
I just received my pair of Chus yesterday.

The tonality is impressive, it just sounds neutral to me. The only nitpick I have is the treble having a slight metallic shimmer to it, but it's really not a major issue. This would be an impressive tuning on any IEM, nevermind a $20 one. The bass is definitely on the lean side for me, but that's mostly preference.

Compared to the KATO I can tell it's not quite as technical. Micro details, transients and imaging are not quite as defined on the Chu. Not to say it's completely lacking in these aspects as it definitely has an appreciable sense of separation and detail, but it's just not on the level of more expensive IEMs. For the price though, I have no complaints at all.

The cable isn't quite as bad as I expected based on reviews. It's not great, but it's a servicable cable IMO.

My overall take is basically what many others have said before. The tuning is great regarldess of price, and the technical aspects are still decent enough for the price. Overall it's basically a blind buy if you have $20 IMO.

Here's how my unit measures relative to the KATO (ignore the resonance around 100Hz, it's a feature of my coupler that shows up with some IEMs):

chu_vs_kato.png

Also, while I wouldn't expect this to be the case for every unit since we can't expect the best QC for $20, but the driver matching on my unit is pretty decent, only having a notable difference above 17kHz:

chu_ch_matching.png

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #11,256 of 11,982
Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
Jun 15, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #11,257 of 11,982
after seeing so many people talking about the chu's i decided to order a pair. my only other IEM is FD3 pro so i dont have a lot to compare with. theyre definitely lighter on bass and detail but honestly at $20 shipped to my door these things are pretty amazing. they are more comfortable in my ears and they dont seem to be as fatiguing sound wise (i listen at higher volumes). i couldnt even ship the package they came in domestically for $20 right now so im not even sure how they manage to build and ship these from china for this price.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #11,260 of 11,982
Snow Aria, DAWN and Line T ordered. Looking forward to hearing the VDSF tuning on a (hopefully) more capable driver/housing than the Chu.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #11,262 of 11,982
This sounds like an april fools joke xD

Seems like it's a moddable keyboard with 4.4 & 3.5mm inputs. Maybe there's an overlap in markets between keyboard enthusiasts and IEM hobbyists? I think this is probably more the case in Asia / South East Asia.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #11,263 of 11,982
I've ordered Chu from shenzhenaudio to get a taste of Moondrop and decide if I want a Kato. While I was waiting for the Chu to be dispatched, I read more and more on how tha Katos are awesome, and couldn't stand anymore, so ordered those after a month or so after Chu. The Chu's have arrived about 2 weeks after the Katos though :)

First, these are bright. I don't understand why this is not being mentioned. It's a shame my Cayin RU6 doesn't work with my phone, so (after a couple of days burn in) I plugged them into my phone with Spotify for a walk. The phone is a very bright soucre as well, making it an unbearable combo. I've used EQ on the phone to tame the treble.

Spotify has put on "September in Montreal" by Anne Bisson that I heard for the first time... boy, I was immediately in love with this ~woman~ track. The pianos and the voice were just magical! The guitars on some other tracks - captivating. Treble-heavy (with lots of hi-hats etc.) tracks though were still uncomfortable due to excess treble. Later, I plugged them into a desktop amp with a TDA1543 DAC, and they sounded OK with no EQ (at first), but after a while the treble still makes me tired. The bass is not much in either quantity nor quality. I tried the "normal" tips from KZ and spring tips, the seal is there, but it doesn't fix the lows.

Later I tried some of the same tracks on the same setup with KZ ZSX to compare, and they enjoyment is not there, just meh, TFZ (King) is better with better defined bass, but still not as magical as Chu.

So I find these awesome for some instrumental and vocal music (It's unbelievable how well they do these for the price) and not so much with electronics and anything treble-heavy. If I only had $20 and only had to have a single pair of IEMs, I'd definitely buy these, with intention to use with EQ and a potentially darker/smoother source.

If these would arrive before I ordered Kato, I wouldn't getthe Kato and this would a right decision, becuase the sound signature is similar, although Kato isn't as bright, and has better defined bass (although not much more in quantity).

Attachments

• IMG_20220613_131752.jpg
    IMG_20220613_131752.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 16, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #11,264 of 11,982
I've ordered Chu from shenzhenaudio to get a taste of Moondrop and decide if I want a Kato. While I was waiting for the Chu to be dispatched, I read more and more on how tha Katos are awesome, and couldn't stand anymore, so ordered those after a month or so after Chu. The Chu's have arrived about 2 weeks after the Katos though :)

First, these are bright. I don't understand why this is not being mentioned. It's a shame my Cayin RU6 doesn't work with my phone, so (after a couple of days burn in) I plugged them into my phone with Spotify for a walk. The phone is a very bright soucre as well, making it an unbearable combo. I've used EQ on the phone to tame the treble.

Spotify has put on "September in Montreal" by Anne Bisson that I heard for the first time... boy, I was immediately in love with this ~woman~ track. The pianos and the voice were just magical! The guitars on some other tracks - captivating. Treble-heavy (with lots of hi-hats etc.) tracks though were still uncomfortable due to excess treble. Later, I plugged them into a desktop amp with a TDA1543 DAC, and they sounded OK with no EQ (at first), but after a while the treble still makes me tired. The bass is not much in either quantity nor quality. I tried the "normal" tips from KZ and spring tips, the seal is there, but it doesn't fix the lows.

Later I tried some of the same tracks on the same setup with KZ ZSX to compare, and they enjoyment is not there, just meh, TFZ (King) is better with better defined bass, but still not as magical as Chu.

So I find these awesome for some instrumental and vocal music (It's unbelievable how well they do these for the price) and not so much with electronics and anything treble-heavy. If I only had $20 and only had to have a single pair of IEMs, I'd definitely buy these, with intention to use with EQ and a potentially darker/smoother source.

If these would arrive before I ordered Kato, I wouldn't getthe Kato and this would a right decision, becuase the sound signature is similar, although Kato isn't as bright, and has better defined bass (although not much more in quantity).
Everyone hears things differently, and has different preferences and tastes. But, just a question…. Are you using the included Spring tips? Some folks really rave about them, but they also run very small compared to other tips. I personally could never achieve a seal with the Spring tips, so had to go to Spinfit tips.

I personally don’t find the Kato to be overly bright, but the bass is more subdued than the SeeAudio Midnight, for example. If you have not yet done so, you might want to use a graph database, for example Crinacle’s, to compare the tunings of IEMs you like (and dislike) to other IEMs. Graphs are not everything, but they are a good place to start when you cannot try an IEM in person.

Jun 16, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #11,265 of 11,982
Are you using the included Spring tips? Some folks really rave about them, but they also run very small compared to other tips. I personally could never achieve a seal with the Spring tips, so had to go to Spinfit tips.
As mentioned above, I tried the KZ (ZSX) stock tips (not sure about the size, I didn't find the rest of the stock to compare), and didn't find any difference in seal between the KZ ones and the spring Ls, but the treble seems a little more smooth with latter. Somehow the Chus work just fine with the spring tips in a sense that the seal and fit is OK, and they don't fall out of ears compared to Kato (which is due to weight apparently). On Katos I was switching between M and L and neither was perfect, although I got the understanding that I don't need the XL ones.

I'd like to try the Spinfits, but there's so many models and you buy a single size, so not sure how to select the right size, don't want to miss considering the price. Any suggestions here?

If you have not yet done so, you might want to use a graph database, for example Crinacle’s, to compare the tunings of IEMs you like (and dislike) to other IEMs
I am on my path figure this out. I have ordered some more IEMs with unpopular tunings (KZ AS10 and Tanchjim OLA) to see if they can point me in the right direction. I am yet to find an IEM without a dip in mids of some sort on the graph. They keep saying it's necessary due to the physics etc., but so far the KZ and Moondrop sound pretty much like the graph suggests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back