Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jun 10, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #11,236 of 11,982
Would you be able to recommend some IEM models that match this requirement (any brand)?

I wish I could, but I'm also looking. I've got the Campfire Audio Honeydews right now which I can get to sound pretty wonderfully thick and "big", but that's with a Qudelix 5k and EQ. Would not necessarily get this set. Currently looking at getting either the Penon Orb or the Mangird Tea 2, they're supposedly pretty rich and thick sounding.

Jun 10, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #11,237 of 11,982
Jun 10, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #11,238 of 11,982
Would you be able to recommend some IEM models that match this requirement (any brand)?

If you like a warm and thick signature, these are the ones I can think of, offhand:

1) Final Audio E3000 - warm and very bassy, good soundstage/layering/instrument separation. Unfortunately, has a very thin non detachable microphonic cable. Needs amplification due to low sensitivity.

2) Final Audio E5000 - more expensive brother in the E series lineup, bassier and very thick in note weight and dark in the treble. One of the hardest IEMs to drive, so needs amplification, otherwise the bass is boomy and nebulous. Very niche IEM as such.

3) Sony XBA N3 - L shaped warm and bassy, fatigue free and very smooth. Even though it has BAs, there isn't much BA timbre, sounds pretty natural. Not the most detailed and maybe not in production anymore?

4) Tanchjim Tanya - Harmanish, analogue sounding set, scales with amping, non detachable cable but quite a good set to chill to.

5) BLON BL-03 - the legend. Harmanish with mid-bass boost. Weak in technicalities and has a crappy fit due to too short nozzles (may require aftermarket longer nozzles/mods), but has excellent timbre and tonality. Analoguish and warm.

6) KBEAR Aurora - think of an upgraded BLON BL-03 in every department, warm and harmanish, good note weight. Not very technical compared to other $100ish single DDs.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #11,239 of 11,982
Thanks, it looks like we've got a different understanding of @arar's post:
I like a good amount of warmth and thickness
My understanding (and desired tuning) is that this isn't about the bass as such, but "density", fullness in the lower mids presentation, potentially even some emphasis pm the mids. Looking at Sony XBA-N3's FR graph it's lots of lows with actually recessed lower mids if we look at what low mids are - 200Hz-700Hz (or even 1000Hz according to some sources).

(see below)

My experience with basshead closed backs (Shure SRH1540, 1more triple drivers) is that this amount of bass doesn't sound like "density" (thickness), but rather just... boomy bass. I don't mind the bass to roll off a little, but the thickness should be there which are not mutually exclusive. Harman curve seems to really be the opposite of what we're looking for, and most of IEMs seem to be tuned to some sort of Harman target for some reason.

I just got the Sennheiser HD600, haven't had a chance to give them a thorough listen, just burning them in, but they seem to have this (tbc), as well as Focal Elegia. (see below again for their graphs). Looks like we're looking for a more or less even response that makes mids sound "forward" compared to all the Harman-tuned gear (and due to Fletcher-Munson Curves).

Correct me if I'm wrong, I am don't have much heapdhone experience, but this is my understanding.

11375915.png

01_fig-1-eq.png

I've made screenshots from https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/ since it's not using images that I can link to:

hd600.png

elegia.png

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #11,240 of 11,982

My understanding (and desired tuning) is that this isn't about the bass as such, but "density", fullness in the lower mids presentation, potentially even some emphasis pm the mids. Looking at Sony XBA-N3's FR graph it's lots of lows with actually recessed lower mids if we look at what low mids are - 200Hz-700Hz (or even 1000Hz according to some sources).

(see below)

My experience with basshead closed backs (Shure SRH1540, 1more triple drivers) is that this amount of bass doesn't sound like "density" (thickness), but rather just... boomy bass. I don't mind the bass to roll off a little, but the thickness should be there which are not mutually exclusive. Harman curve seems to really be the opposite of what we're looking for, and most of IEMs seem to be tuned to some sort of Harman target for some reason.

I just got the Sennheiser HD600, haven't had a chance to give them a thorough listen, just burning them in, but they seem to have this (tbc), as well as Focal Elegia. (see below again for their graphs).

Correct me if I'm wrong, I am don't have much heapdhone experience, but this is my understanding.

11375915.png

01_fig-1-eq.png

I've made screenshots from https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/ since it's not using images that I can link to:

hd600.png

elegia.png
That thickness and warmth you want is from elevated mid-bass (80-300hz).
And you shouldnt be comparing headphone graphs to iems.
graph - 2022-06-10T180948.888.png

Jun 10, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #11,241 of 11,982
And you shouldnt be comparing headphone graphs to iems.
What is the reason?

The reviews of the Sony XBA-N3 mention bloated bass and recessed vocals, HD600's reviews mention lack of bass for some, which seems to match the graphs.

Jun 10, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #11,242 of 11,982
What is the reason?
Completely different form factor and measuring setup. Along with the differences in how they each sound like.

The reviews of the Sony XBA-N3 mention bloated bass and recessed vocals
N3 have a slow/loose type of bass, similar to the Blon BL-03.
The recessed vocals are only affecting male vocals, female vocals are neutral to me.

Jun 10, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #11,243 of 11,982

Yeah, "thickness" of the sound and bass aren't really 1:1 in my opinion--or at least, it's not how I have perceived it. The 99 Classics for example are very bassy, but overall they sound kind of thin, or hollow to me. I'm guessing it has something to do with "note weight", saw Crinacle talk about it in an article once (https://crinacle.com/2020/04/19/the-big-breakdown-ranking-list-update/). Interestingly, he gave the XBA-N3's a "note weight" rating of 3 (from -5 to 5, 5 being the thickest) so maybe there's something to that. Shame it seems impossible to get in Europe, would love to try them.

Jun 11, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #11,247 of 11,982
Been listening to my Arias today. They’re good. They don’t really have any stand out issues and they don’t especially shine in any specific area either. I’d classify them as the “safest” set in my collection. Really great all around phones. But none of this is new. We all know the Aria.

I’m interested in what Moondrop intends to do with its planar set. They’re saying “flagship pricing.” In a planar market that appears to be dropping in price point as new models arrive I have to wonder what Moondrop intends to bring to the table to justify the expense. The Hook-X is a hybrid with an exotic piezoelectric driver to justify it’s relatively high price. I’d expect Moondrop to do something similar to make their set stand out. A copy of the Timeless and it’s (now standard) 14.Xmm planar driver isn’t going to do it, especially with 7hz teasing a “Timeless 2.0” update at a budget price.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #11,248 of 11,982
Been listening to my Arias today. They’re good. They don’t really have any stand out issues and they don’t especially shine in any specific area either. I’d classify them as the “safest” set in my collection. Really great all around phones. But none of this is new. We all know the Aria.

I’m interested in what Moondrop intends to do with its planar set. They’re saying “flagship pricing.” In a planar market that appears to be dropping in price point as new models arrive I have to wonder what Moondrop intends to bring to the table to justify the expense. The Hook-X is a hybrid with an exotic piezoelectric driver to justify it’s relatively high price. I’d expect Moondrop to do something similar to make their set stand out. A copy of the Timeless and it’s (now standard) 14.Xmm planar driver isn’t going to do it, especially with 7hz teasing a “Timeless 2.0” update at a budget price.
I'm really looking forward to it, I doubt it's going to be over 300 price range, to make it competitive. But I agree it definite will need to stand out and I think a hybrid would be fab

Jun 11, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #11,249 of 11,982
I'm really looking forward to it, I doubt it's going to be over 300 price range, to make it competitive. But I agree it definite will need to stand out and I think a hybrid would be fab

Agree. I think we’re entering an interesting phase with planar sets. The upcoming generation is likely to feature some innovative new approaches to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back