Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Apr 30, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #11,101 of 11,979
IMG_20220430_145500_GC6.1_gamma1.8.jpg

got my Chu.

it's time to tell me about MoonDrop Chu.
Previously, everyone already knows what they "taste" but I would like to contribute a little.

And so, the build quality:
On "4-" because: the mesh is glued crookedly (I had to force it into place), and on one earpiece there is a gap between the halves (it does not affect the sound).

Ok, we figured it out, but what about the sound?
It's sad, yes, especially if your main ears, the same speakers, the level of MoonDrop Aria, Mele, etc., in fact, Chu is a "probe" of the sound delivery of more expensive dynamic ears(Mele/Olina/Aria/etc).

Chu undoubtedly wants to be criticized for the bass - it is loose, and only its overtones are heard from the beat (consider an echo); for the middle - which is not rich in details, rather dry, and in places everything sounds "in a checkerboard pattern": the vocalist is separate and the sounds are in a chaotic arrangement; for high frequencies - in which I did not hear half of the sounds (and if I did, it was very quiet) ... But they cost 3-5 times less than the "speakers" that are adequate in sound.

You get this sound for how much you paid for it, no more.

The majority have the same opinion.
Not a hype.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #11,102 of 11,979
  • I prefer Chu’s tuning to Kato’s.
I discovered the Katos just recently, started wanting them :) and then found out about the Chus. Looking at the FR graphs they seem to be similar (same?), so I thought I'd would order Chus to confirm if this type of sound signature will work for me (I am not a fan of bright sound, sibilance etc. and the 3kHz bump concerns me)...

So when you are saying "tuning", do you mean they are not similar frequency response-wise?

Apr 30, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #11,103 of 11,979
in fact, Chu is a "probe" of the sound delivery of more expensive dynamic ears(Mele/Olina/Aria/etc).
That kind of answers my above question. So do you think they work for that?
What I want to see is if they have recessed mids (which is where is all the musical information / enjoyment lives), then this will show up in the Chus, or if I like the signature, the Katos will be "same but better".

Apr 30, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #11,104 of 11,979
Also, is there any reason to choose the non-mic version? Is the mic on the Chu any good for calls?

Apr 30, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #11,105 of 11,979
That kind of answers my above question. So do you think they work for that?
What I want to see is if they have recessed mids (which is where is all the musical information / enjoyment lives), then this will show up in the Chus, or if I like the signature, the Katos will be "same but better".
Headphones may have variable frequency response, but the sound will be different. There is a little bit of brightness on the vocals in the chu, the mids are at an average level(not a deep). In Aria mids more and more deeper, but better quality.

Apr 30, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #11,106 of 11,979
I discovered the Katos just recently, started wanting them :) and then found out about the Chus. Looking at the FR graphs they seem to be similar (same?), so I thought I'd would order Chus to confirm if this type of sound signature will work for me (I am not a fan of bright sound, sibilance etc. and the 3kHz bump concerns me)...

So when you are saying "tuning", do you mean they are not similar frequency response-wise?

They are similar, but something on the chu just makes me prefer it. Keep in mind that kato has very good technicalities and is for sure a better IEM.

Apr 30, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #11,107 of 11,979
Interesting that you say you prefer the Chu over the Aria's, I would say currently that is still the best IEM under $100, it's currently one of my favourite IEM's when it comes to tuning, preferred it over the B2, I guess I'll have to grab a pair to compare.

If you love the Arias, you don't need the Chu. Arias are warmer.

Apr 30, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #11,109 of 11,979
I have a strong feeling that Kato was properly dampened it could have been a real winner.
I think it has done pretty well as is. I for one count it in my normal rotation (I have 30+ IEMs, but currently spend my time with Kato, Midnight, Mele, Oracle, and Timeless).

May 1, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #11,112 of 11,979
Guys, can anybody suggest where these eartips can be found (see the photo attached)? They do wonders with KATO, eliminating any high-mid harshness and sibilance while adding a huge amount of sub-bass in spite of being very thin and soft silicon. The problem is that these exact tips came stock with a low quality V5 TWS and I can't find them separately. I could possibly buy the whole TWS for $30 just to get the eartips and throw away the crappy earbuds but something tells me that would be an overkill. Just wanted to get a spare.
V5_tips.jpg

May 2, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #11,114 of 11,979
The Chus are too bright/shouty for me but *way* more technically strong than I was expecting. It’s a gem. Better than the SSR by a lot, which was my previous cheap Moondrop purchase.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back