Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jan 15, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #10,816 of 11,998
That‘s very interesting! Could you tell a bit more about how they compare, both in terms of sound and size/fit? And what sources are you using with them? Would be great to hear about your experiences!
Sure thing!

50B64898-4CAE-4388-91C2-C92303D37B11.jpeg

The Variations I would describe as a clean and lean, yet musical and fun listen. The Oracle on the other hand is a masterclass in tonal balance; it‘s a jack of all trades, replaying any genre you could throw at it flawlessly. Variations is a neutral IEM with a sub-bass boost while the Oracle is neutral with a bass boost, which is an important distinction.

I‘d like to talk about the Treble first since both IEMs excel here (they both do in every regard really). Their EST implementation is really good and you can hear them do work (there are IEMs where the ESTs are either implemented poorly and/or don’t see to do much). Extension is great and goes up all the way to the highest frequencies. The Oracle has a very clear, yet smooth Treble response that‘s never fatiguing to my ears, avoiding any sibilance while providing a sense of „air“ and space. The Variations follows the same path but sounds more aggressive and „brilliant“ overall, sounding sparkly when the music calls for it, while still avoiding any sibilance. They both do it excellent, but the Variations has a slight edge here.

Midrange is brilliant on both as well and where these sets start to differ more. The Oracle presents both male and female vocals in a very natural and bodied manner, making them sound lifelike and „full“ as a result. The Variations takes a different approach: the upper midrange as well as female vocals simply sound ethereal on this Set. If the Oracle was great on female vocals already, the Variations cranks that up to 11. It provides the best replay of female vocals to my ears that I have heard coming from an IEM. Clear, brilliant, detailed. Now, due to not elevating mid-bass and a slight dip in the lower midrange, instruments and male vocals there can sound a bit distant or „thin“ to some. It does not bother me, and I still very much like the representation there, but some might not.

In the Bass we now see wildly differing tuning decisions. The Variations elevates Bass almost exclusively in the sub-bass while the Oracle has a tasteful bass boost along the entire frequency section. This prevents any bass-bleed into the upper frequencies on the Variations leading to it‘s clean and lean sounding midrange presentation. Bass is well separated but still coherent with the other frequencies. Sub-bass rumbles on this set and it is a pleasure, subwoofers for your ears. Bass texture and quality is very high on both sets, but the Variations again edges out the Oracle a bit here. The „lack“ of mid bass however could be a problem for some, depending on preference and what genres their library consists of. The Oracle is more universal in that regard; it does not rumble as deep as the Variations, and the resolution is slightly behind, but the quantity of mid-bass just makes it a more universal listen in that regard.

A little intermission here:
The thing about the Variations (and the Monarch MK1) is that it does Bass different than most other IEMs.

When other IEMs have a Frequency Response with a Bass Boost (be it V-Shaped, U-Shaped, Neutral with Bass Boost etc.) they usually boost the mid-bass and sub-bass. So the Bass shelf is present over the entirety of the bass band. This leads to a coherent and smooth bass presence no matter what kind of bass a track incorporates.

Therein lies a pitfall however. Mid-bass is usually more present in quantity overall when it comes to music compared to Sub-bass. One genre that usually incorporates a lot of sub-bass is electronic music. So it is much harder to tune a „proper“ or „tasteful“ amount of mid-bass compared to sub-bass. Have too much and you risk it bleeding into the midrange, coloring vocals and instruments present in the lower midrange, being too „boomy“ or „muddening“ the sound. Have too little and you risk missing proper Bass impact and feel, noteweight and proper sound of vocals and instruments in the lower midrange.

The Variations having a bass-boost pretty much exclusive to the sub-bass has two disadvantages; 1) some might miss the impact and quantity of mid-bass usually accompanied by a bass boost and 2) may feel like male vocals and lower midrange instruments lack body and/or presence. Now these two disadvantages are not that notable and/or significant to me, but they are there and my observations seem to align with the general consensus here.

Now to the advantages, and there are quite a few:

1. Sub-bass is excellent on the Variations; in impact, quantity, and quality. Bass Texture and detail are great, resolution all around incredible.
  2. Mid-bass, while maybe lacking in quantity for some, still carries the excellent technicalities of the sub-bass.
  3. Due to the kind of the bass boost being in the sub-bass, there is no bleed or coloration into the mid-bass. One of the reasons this set is so clean. Bass is very well separated while still sounding coherent in relation to the other frequencies.
…so yeah, in my opinion, the Bass on the Variations is both excellent and maybe not. The Sub-bass definitely is, and the mid-bass is either fine or lacking (in quantity) given your taste, library and HRTF.

In terms of Technicalities, both IEMs are very resolving, with the Variations edging out the Oracle again. The Variations is one of, if not the most resolving IEM you can get below 1k. You need to get considerably higher to get slight improvements (U12t, MEST, Elysian Annihilator) in that regard. Bass Hits deep and hard when called for, with excellent texture and attack/decay. It is well separated from the upper frequencies. Overall, the set sounds very coherent, a big improvement over the Blessing 2 which has coherency issues. Stage is wide and deep with moderate height. Vocals sound as if they are put on a podium that is shifted around based on where is should be in the recording/mix, with instruments well separated from each other. I am able to easily identify them and their corresponding position in the sound field. Timbre is nice. The treble provides sparkle and a certain brilliance that make music shine. Both bass and treble are more aggressive compared to the Oracle while still not being fatiguing to my ears.
The Oracle is incredibly smooth in its overall tonality which leads to it being an incredible Allrounder. Bass is a bit lower in quantity than the FR Graph would indicate, but it is excellent. Fast and well controlled bass hits with great texture. The mid-bass and lower treble have more body to them compared to the Variations. Vocals in general are a bit more intimate but still accurate in their spacial position. Treble is smooth and well extended; less aggressive than the Variations. It has brilliance to it, but not the same Sparkle the Variations provides. Timbre is excellent and one of the biggest strengths of the set. Everything sounds very natural and „organic“, missing any sign of metallic or plastic-y sound.

Build Quality on both IEMs is excellent. The Variations has a filled 3D-printed resin shell with a beautiful semi-transparent smoked look and a Metal face plate with laser-etched patterns. It has some weight to it but is not heavy. The nozzle is part of the printed shell and rather thick compared to other IEMs. Three bores are on the nozzle, each being a sound-tube coming from each driver set (one each for the DD, both BAs and both ESTs). Both have a standard 2-pin connector that feels very sturdy. The Oracle has an unfilled semi-transparent resin shell that is lighter, with a metal nozzle and a metal grill. The Oracle has a beautiful seashell-like faceplate. Both IEMs are on the medium sized side.
With SpinFit CP155 Tips, the Variations fit me perfectly, almost like a custom. Very comfortable for me with good isolation. The Oracle fits me well with CP500 tips, which help me avoid suction issues that I had on this set with other tips. Now I can put them in and slightly break seal for a moment to let pressure out should there be any.
————————————

In the end, I love both of these Sets and cannot recommend them enough. The Variations is the more resolving, clinical and unforgiving set while the Oracle is a true allrounder with beautiful timbre. Both will replay anything you throw at them. If you wanted to get an IEM around 1k$, I would recommend you get both the Oracle and Bravery instead of one more expensive set.

Cheers :v:

2D7E056C-A0AA-48A3-B2E1-ECD6E9D9A24E.jpeg

22DB3508-3255-44DD-BD10-FF1E667615C9.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #10,818 of 11,998
Sure thing!

50B64898-4CAE-4388-91C2-C92303D37B11.jpeg

The Variations I would describe as a clean and lean, yet musical and fun listen. The Oracle on the other hand is a masterclass in tonal balance; it‘s a jack of all trades, replaying any genre you could throw at it flawlessly. Variations is a neutral IEM with a sub-bass boost while the Oracle is neutral with a bass boost, which is an important distinction.

I‘d like to talk about the Treble first since both IEMs excel here (they both do in every regard really). Their EST implementation is really good and you can hear them do work (there are IEMs where the ESTs are either implemented poorly and/or don’t see to do much). Extension is great and goes up all the way to the highest frequencies. The Oracle has a very clear, yet smooth Treble response that‘s never fatiguing to my ears, avoiding any sibilance while providing a sense of „air“ and space. The Variations follows the same path but sounds more aggressive and „brilliant“ overall, sounding sparkly when the music calls for it, while still avoiding any sibilance. They both do it excellent, but the Variations has a slight edge here.

Midrange is brilliant on both as well and where these sets start to differ more. The Oracle presents both male and female vocals in a very natural and bodied manner, making them sound lifelike and „full“ as a result. The Variations takes a different approach: the upper midrange as well as female vocals simply sound ethereal on this Set. If the Oracle was great on female vocals already, the Variations cranks that up to 11. It provides the best replay of female vocals to my ears that I have heard coming from an IEM. Clear, brilliant, detailed. Now, due to not elevating mid-bass and a slight dip in the lower midrange, instruments and male vocals there can sound a bit distant or „thin“ to some. It does not bother me, and I still very much like the representation there, but some might not.

In the Bass we now see wildly differing tuning decisions. The Variations elevates Bass almost exclusively in the sub-bass while the Oracle has a tasteful bass boost along the entire frequency section. This prevents any bass-bleed into the upper frequencies on the Variations leading to it‘s clean and lean sounding midrange presentation. Bass is well separated but still coherent with the other frequencies. Sub-bass rumbles on this set and it is a pleasure, subwoofers for your ears. Bass texture and quality is very high on both sets, but the Variations again edges out the Oracle a bit here. The „lack“ of mid bass however could be a problem for some, depending on preference and what genres their library consists of. The Oracle is more universal in that regard; it does not rumble as deep as the Variations, and the resolution is slightly behind, but the quantity of mid-bass just makes it a more universal listen in that regard.

A little intermission here:
The thing about the Variations (and the Monarch MK1) is that it does Bass different than most other IEMs.

When other IEMs have a Frequency Response with a Bass Boost (be it V-Shaped, U-Shaped, Neutral with Bass Boost etc.) they usually boost the mid-bass and sub-bass. So the Bass shelf is present over the entirety of the bass band. This leads to a coherent and smooth bass presence no matter what kind of bass a track incorporates.

Therein lies a pitfall however. Mid-bass is usually more present in quantity overall when it comes to music compared to Sub-bass. One genre that usually incorporates a lot of sub-bass is electronic music. So it is much harder to tune a „proper“ or „tasteful“ amount of mid-bass compared to sub-bass. Have too much and you risk it bleeding into the midrange, coloring vocals and instruments present in the lower midrange, being too „boomy“ or „muddening“ the sound. Have too little and you risk missing proper Bass impact and feel, noteweight and proper sound of vocals and instruments in the lower midrange.

The Variations having a bass-boost pretty much exclusive to the sub-bass has two disadvantages; 1) some might miss the impact and quantity of mid-bass usually accompanied by a bass boost and 2) may feel like male vocals and lower midrange instruments lack body and/or presence. Now these two disadvantages are not that notable and/or significant to me, but they are there and my observations seem to align with the general consensus here.

Now to the advantages, and there are quite a few:

1. Sub-bass is excellent on the Variations; in impact, quantity, and quality. Bass Texture and detail are great, resolution all around incredible.
  2. Mid-bass, while maybe lacking in quantity for some, still carries the excellent technicalities of the sub-bass.
  3. Due to the kind of the bass boost being in the sub-bass, there is no bleed or coloration into the mid-bass. One of the reasons this set is so clean. Bass is very well separated while still sounding coherent in relation to the other frequencies.
…so yeah, in my opinion, the Bass on the Variations is both excellent and maybe not. The Sub-bass definitely is, and the mid-bass is either fine or lacking (in quantity) given your taste, library and HRTF.

In terms of Technicalities, both IEMs are very resolving, with the Variations edging out the Oracle again. The Variations is one of, if not the most resolving IEM you can get below 1k. You need to get considerably higher to get slight improvements (U12t, MEST, Elysian Annihilator) in that regard. Bass Hits deep and hard when called for, with excellent texture and attack/decay. It is well separated from the upper frequencies. Overall, the set sounds very coherent, a big improvement over the Blessing 2 which has coherency issues. Stage is wide and deep with moderate height. Vocals sound as if they are put on a podium that is shifted around based on where is should be in the recording/mix, with instruments well separated from each other. I am able to easily identify them and their corresponding position in the sound field. Timbre is nice. The treble provides sparkle and a certain brilliance that make music shine. Both bass and treble are more aggressive compared to the Oracle while still not being fatiguing to my ears.
The Oracle is incredibly smooth in its overall tonality which leads to it being an incredible Allrounder. Bass is a bit lower in quantity than the FR Graph would indicate, but it is excellent. Fast and well controlled bass hits with great texture. The mid-bass and lower treble have more body to them compared to the Variations. Vocals in general are a bit more intimate but still accurate in their spacial position. Treble is smooth and well extended; less aggressive than the Variations. It has brilliance to it, but not the same Sparkle the Variations provides. Timbre is excellent and one of the biggest strengths of the set. Everything sounds very natural and „organic“, missing any sign of metallic or plastic-y sound.

Build Quality on both IEMs is excellent. The Variations has a filled 3D-printed resin shell with a beautiful semi-transparent smoked look and a Metal face plate with laser-etched patterns. It has some weight to it but is not heavy. The nozzle is part of the printed shell and rather thick compared to other IEMs. Three bores are on the nozzle, each being a sound-tube coming from each driver set (one each for the DD, both BAs and both ESTs). Both have a standard 2-pin connector that feels very sturdy. The Oracle has an unfilled semi-transparent resin shell that is lighter, with a metal nozzle and a metal grill. The Oracle has a beautiful seashell-like faceplate. Both IEMs are on the medium sized side.
With SpinFit CP155 Tips, the Variations fit me perfectly, almost like a custom. Very comfortable for me with good isolation. The Oracle fits me well with CP500 tips, which help me avoid suction issues that I had on this set with other tips. Now I can put them in and slightly break seal for a moment to let pressure out should there be any.
————————————

In the end, I love both of these Sets and cannot recommend them enough. The Variations is the more resolving, clinical and unforgiving set while the Oracle is a true allrounder with beautiful timbre. Both will replay anything you throw at them. If you wanted to get an IEM around 1k$, I would recommend you get both the Oracle and Bravery instead of one more expensive set.

Cheers :v:

2D7E056C-A0AA-48A3-B2E1-ECD6E9D9A24E.jpeg
22DB3508-3255-44DD-BD10-FF1E667615C9.jpeg
WOW! This must be one of the most comprehensive comparisons I have ever seen!
Great job! Thank you!

Jan 16, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #10,821 of 11,998
Need impressions about how Moondrop Kato with Line K cable compared to the stock cable. It is have different sounding??
Thanks
I have listened to the KATO with both the stock and the upgrade cable. To my (admittedly older ears) I hear no difference at all. But the upgrade cable definitely feels much nicer than the stock cable. I should stress that the stock cable is perfectly fine, just not as nice as the upgrade cable.

Jan 17, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #10,822 of 11,998
hey, just wondering if anyone else use spring tips with their S8 / blessing 2, how deep do you push the eartips on the nozzle?

edit:
let me just ask the one who design the spring tips, lol, how far should i push the eartips on my S8 nozzle? @MOONDROP
1ef6db5f-9e99-4c88-a937-78023f981b65.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #10,823 of 11,998
Hi there!
I have owned the excellent Moondrop S8 for a few months now and am looking for a good 2.5mm balanced cable for them.
Preferably light in weight and not too unweildly.
Thank you.

Xinhs 4-core graphene

hey, just wondering if anyone else use spring tips with their S8 / blessing 2, how deep do you push the eartips on the nozzle?
edit:

let me just ask the one who design the spring tips, lol, how far should i push the eartips on my S8 nozzle? @MOONDROP

I push mine a little further away. Wont slip off. Also not too close to the nozzle as it felt like they were sitting too deep in my ears.

Btw, is that martini or the copper one?

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #10,824 of 11,998
Xinhs 4-core graphene

I push mine a little further away. Wont slip off. Also not too close to the nozzle as it felt like they were sitting too deep in my ears.

Btw, is that martini or the copper one?
i think i might need some kind of wax guard for the nozzle while using the S8 with SpringTips :sweat_smile:, though my ears rarely having excess wax problem.

if its not too much of a hassle for you, would you mind post a picture of your S8 / Blessing 2 nozzle while using the SpringTips for my reference of the distance before the tips slipping off?

also its the copper one "Conti"

Jan 21, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #10,825 of 11,998
Hi everyone. I'm new here and looking for some advice.

I've got a rather simple set up: EarStudio ES100 MK2, Moondrop KATO (daily listening) and CCA C12 (for the gym). Given that I'm streaming via BT from my iPhone, would it make sense to dump more money on IEMs? I like the KATO, but even with EQ they're not as rumbly as the C10. Sub-bass is great, but it's missing above that. Quick example would be with Two Door Cinema Club - What You Know. It sounds good, but I'm not really "in it" and it's missing substance.

I'm hoping to get better imaging, soundstage and "kick drum punch" for live recordings etc. Looking specifically at the Variations and the B2 Dusk. The spring tips from the KATOs are the best I've had so far, just wish they'd be a tiny bit bigger. Any suggestions on which IEM up to $500 would be a better fit for my preferences on sound?

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #10,826 of 11,998

I've got a rather simple set up: EarStudio ES100 MK2, Moondrop KATO (daily listening) and CCA C12 (for the gym). Given that I'm streaming via BT from my iPhone, would it make sense to dump more money on IEMs? I like the KATO, but even with EQ they're not as rumbly as the C10. Sub-bass is great, but it's missing above that. Quick example would be with Two Door Cinema Club - What You Know. It sounds good, but I'm not really "in it" and it's missing substance.

I'm hoping to get better imaging, soundstage and "kick drum punch" for live recordings etc. Looking specifically at the Variations and the B2 Dusk. The spring tips from the KATOs are the best I've had so far, just wish they'd be a tiny bit bigger. Any suggestions on which IEM up to $500 would be a better fit for my preferences on sound?
7hz timeless or Variations from my own experience. There are other IEMs too like the ikko oh10, seeaudio midnight and many others that I don't have but read reviews rhat they are great.
Same like you, I love the KATO, but the bass is a little too lean for some genres. The punch is good but not that much body in the bass. Its like comparing 10 inch subwoofer to 15-18 inch subwoofer kind of bass.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #10,827 of 11,998

Sounds like you need more mid-bass in your IEMs. Both B2 Dusk and Variations have lean mid bass and I don‘t think they will fit your needs.

Of all the notable IEMs I have heard the Sony XBA-N3 comes to my mind. Basshead IEM with high quality DD bass and well tuned, resolving BA mids.

Jan 21, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #10,828 of 11,998

Do you apply, or are you open to applying, any EQ? If the rest of the sound signature is to your liking that might solve your problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back