Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jan 1, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #10,786 of 12,011
Seems like an exaggeration in the opposite way the goodness of $3k IEMs are described. Seems the sweet spot for cost vs performance is somewhere between $150 and $250 though I would personably miss the benefits I get from a well chosen IEM that costs in the $700 to $1000 range. Obviously, it's diminishing returns but it's difficult to put a price on goosebumps.:ksc75smile:
That's actually really hard to quantify and there is no hard and fast rule over how good an expensive iem sounds over a cheaper iem. For instance, I would say that my FDX1 poops all over the LCD-i4 because it has a really bad tuning for its price. Poor tuning is not exclusive to cheaper sets, just look at the Campfire Audio Solstice and Equinox.

You'll get far more mileage looking for your ideal tuning at a set price range first, rather than thinking you need to "upgrade" to a pricier iem. Under $250 is enough in my experience. It'll be best if you can find a place where you can demo at least mid to high end sets first so you have an idea of how the "best" sounds like first, then you can look for similarly tuned iems that fit said preference.

Personally I've found that the right tuning will already get you 75% there and its easy to find your right tuning with chifi sets under $100. Then as you go up the price range you're just getting small upgrades here and there like tighter bass, more extended highs as well as nice personal tweaks you may find to your liking like slightly more rumble, slightly warmer mids, crispier sound, larger soundstage etc. Once you get past around $500 you're just chasing the last 1% whether its extension, refinement or soundstage.

Yes, there may be gems that can surprise you with how much better they are over the very top end of iems but so far the only one that is another level better than any other summit fi iem i've heard is the DMP-Z1 (Single ended) into the IER-Z1R. Only that pairing has a binaural/out of your head soundstage i've never heard before in any iem. Either of the two alone don't come close to that level.

Jan 2, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #10,787 of 12,011
That's actually really hard to quantify and there is no hard and fast rule over how good an expensive iem sounds over a cheaper iem. For instance, I would say that my FDX1 poops all over the LCD-i4 because it has a really bad tuning for its price. Poor tuning is not exclusive to cheaper sets, just look at the Campfire Audio Solstice and Equinox.

You'll get far more mileage looking for your ideal tuning at a set price range first, rather than thinking you need to "upgrade" to a pricier iem. Under $250 is enough in my experience. It'll be best if you can find a place where you can demo at least mid to high end sets first so you have an idea of how the "best" sounds like first, then you can look for similarly tuned iems that fit said preference.

Personally I've found that the right tuning will already get you 75% there and its easy to find your right tuning with chifi sets under $100. Then as you go up the price range you're just getting small upgrades here and there like tighter bass, more extended highs as well as nice personal tweaks you may find to your liking like slightly more rumble, slightly warmer mids, crispier sound, larger soundstage etc. Once you get past around $500 you're just chasing the last 1% whether its extension, refinement or soundstage.

Yes, there may be gems that can surprise you with how much better they are over the very top end of iems but so far the only one that is another level better than any other summit fi iem i've heard is the DMP-Z1 (Single ended) into the IER-Z1R. Only that pairing has a binaural/out of your head soundstage i've never heard before in any iem. Either of the two alone don't come close to that level.

Agreed, I think the sweet spot is at the midFI segment, beyond that, there are mega diminishing returns, but some audiophiles will wanna chase the last 5 - 10% sonic fidelity at 10x or more the cost! Different strokes for different folks.

Having said that, even TOTL sets have weaknesses. Like the mentioned IER-Z1R sounds really good for a bassy V shaped set. But the fit is atrocious (which can be a dealbreaker) and the mids are quite recessed, so it isn't one for midlovers.

Jan 2, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #10,788 of 12,011
Agreed, I think the sweet spot is at the midFI segment, beyond that, there are mega diminishing returns, but some audiophiles will wanna chase the last 5 - 10% sonic fidelity at 10x or more the cost! Different strokes for different folks.

Having said that, even TOTL sets have weaknesses. Like the mentioned IER-Z1R sounds really good for a bassy V shaped set. But the fit is atrocious (which can be a dealbreaker) and the mids are quite recessed, so it isn't one for midlovers.
Like this set
20211202_184002.jpgElysian acoustics Annihilator.

Deep fun bass, super extended treble so airy you'd be forgiven for thinking it's open.
Makes pop songs sound nothing like you've ever heard before. It's a fun sound signature taken to the limit.

But having that much bass makes it less clear in drum heavy tracks that can start to sound bloated and too busy. Still love the airiness tho, can't get that in any other pair.

But would I get it for $3500? No.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #10,789 of 12,011
I heard moondrop ( aria) have a qc problem that make the shell life around 6m / more. From picture that other people share, it seems the cable inside is have soldering issue ( and the cables are bare without protection).

Jan 3, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #10,790 of 12,011
Jan 4, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #10,791 of 12,011
I heard moondrop ( aria) have a qc problem that make the shell life around 6m / more. From picture that other people share, it seems the cable inside is have soldering issue ( and the cables are bare without protection).
My aria is entering its 5~6 month.
I just found out the left iem paint already bubbling.
Paint scratches or chipping is one thing (mostly personal use result), but paint bubbling? Thats poor paint job.

Sounds so far still normal tough.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #10,792 of 12,011
My aria is entering its 5~6 month.
I just found out the left iem paint already bubbling.
Paint scratches or chipping is one thing (mostly personal use result), but paint bubbling? Thats poor paint job.

Sounds so far still normal tough.
Maybe because the user using amps or things.

Attachments

• 46ede322319b0d3f06bf969413f70b51de337621.jpeg
    46ede322319b0d3f06bf969413f70b51de337621.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 0
Jan 4, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #10,794 of 12,011
Maybe because the user using amps or things.
There is a bubble line from the nozzle going up to the face plate.
And yes, i'm using BTR5 with balanced copper cable which is not crazy desktop amp.

What the hell is that cabling and seriously, paint bubbling due to using a dac/amp?
Do you know your own market base? Surely, more than half of moondrop user uses dac/amp or straight up DAP.
---
There are several second hand aria with similar bubbling sold in local online marketplace so this is pretty common issues.
Dude, i use cheaper KZ/CCA for quite sometime and haven't met this kind of issues. sibilance? sure, paint chipping from scratches? yeah, but paint bubbling?..

Not to mention i abuse my TFZ King with commute daily drive duty and rarely use a case for over a year, just put it in my pocket and i didn't meet this issue.
My tfz suffers from paint scratches, faceplate fell off at one point, imbalance due to vent blocking, but no bubbling
I use my Aria with far more care, near constant case carry, shifting between aria and zexpro for daily, and this happen...

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #10,796 of 12,011
Is the kato heavier than the starfields?
I've had the Kato, and it is a full metal housing. I've not had the Starfield, but they are both fairly small IEMs and if the Kato is heavier, it probably isn't by much.

Jan 5, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #10,797 of 12,011
OK, Moondrop fans: I had the Kato and the Ikko OH10 at the same time for about a month. They were pretty close in sound, but there is something sweet, airy and deep about the OH10 that I still have it and sold the Kato.

So my question is about the Blessing 2 (NOT the Dusk version). Can anyone tell me how much of a step up in details and clarity is the Blessing 2 over the Kato?

Thanks!

Jan 5, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #10,798 of 12,011
Hi I received my KATO recently and the package didn't include the brass nozzles. Are they only included in the package as a pre order benefit?

@MOONDROP
Nope, they are still there.
If it’s really missing, please contact seller for the next steps.

Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/moondroplab/ https://x.com/MoondropLab https://www.instagram.com/moondroplab/ https://www.moondroplab.com https://discord.gg/qJrSWrT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back