Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Sep 7, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #9,901 of 12,011
I think the Quarks have an option with a mic,
Unfortunately they don't, not when I bought them and I still can't see them on Shenzhenaudio.
@Barusu Lamperouge - any ol' mic cable with the right connectors should work fine. Used to switch between mic and non-mic on my old shure's all the time!
I think that supposed to work with IEM with detachable cables, pardon my ignorance if not. If so, then Quarks are fixed cable IEM so not much scope to switch cables. Thanks for your tip though, I'll keep them in mind

Sep 7, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #9,902 of 12,011
Unfortunately they don't, not when I bought them and I still can't see them on Shenzhenaudio.

I think that supposed to work with IEM with detachable cables, pardon my ignorance if not. If so, then Quarks are fixed cable IEM so not much scope to switch cables. Thanks for your tip though, I'll keep them in mind
Oh shoot! Sorry, forgive my ignorance! Time to break out that soldering iron :D

Sep 7, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #9,903 of 12,011
Sep 7, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #9,904 of 12,011
I don't think Quarks have mic version
The same with old cheapo, ShiroYuki also didn't have mic.

Its a shame really, i really want to buy Shiroyuki or Quarks for gifts, but yeah, most need earphone with mic.
I tried to avoid over ear IEMs as some have are not used to it (there is EDX and its peers), There is Tanya who fits the bill but Tanya is a touch pricier.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #9,907 of 12,011
Moondrop might want to rethink their fabric cable design. The same thing happened to the other side. This is the cable included with the Moondrop KXXX.

Attachments

• IMG_20210907_233719__01.jpg
    IMG_20210907_233719__01.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #9,908 of 12,011
Hi guys!

A few months ago, the members here helped me choose Moondrop Aria.

After a few months, the IEM surprises me more and more. I lost count of how many hours of burn-in I've done so far, but one thing has been calling my attention: Aria's presentation of micro-details.

It's amazing, I just sometimes think my IEM is defective as actually the noises that occur in the microphone in a podcast for example.

Now my question is: is there any IEM in the $125 range that has more impact on the sub-bass and bass and has microdetail presentation in the mids (specifically on the vocals) or not? It doesn't have to be from Moondrop, but I'm asking here because this topic is very active.

I had thought about FiiO FD1 before Aria and now they've released FD3, but I've read that FD1 doesn't have as much microdetail presentation as Aria and FD3 doesn't have as much emphasis on bass. Maybe the FH3?

Thanks!

Sep 8, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #9,909 of 12,011
Hi guys!

A few months ago, the members here helped me choose Moondrop Aria.

After a few months, the IEM surprises me more and more. I lost count of how many hours of burn-in I've done so far, but one thing has been calling my attention: Aria's presentation of micro-details.

It's amazing, I just sometimes think my IEM is defective as actually the noises that occur in the microphone in a podcast for example.

Now my question is: is there any IEM in the $125 range that has more impact on the sub-bass and bass and has microdetail presentation in the mids (specifically on the vocals) or not? It doesn't have to be from Moondrop, but I'm asking here because this topic is very active.

I had thought about FiiO FD1 before Aria and now they've released FD3, but I've read that FD1 doesn't have as much microdetail presentation as Aria and FD3 doesn't have as much emphasis on bass. Maybe the FH3?

Thanks!
$125 is not a huge price jump to see any major changes unless you want a different tonality. The next step up under $200 would be the Hana 2021.

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #9,910 of 12,011
$125 is not a huge price jump to see any major changes unless you want a different tonality. The next step up under $200 would be the Hana 2021.
$200 is acceptable.

It's just that there are so many IEMs that I don't know if I'm looking for an "upgrade" or a different tonality like you said.

In the end, I think I'm looking for a different tonality. For example, I just saw in a review that the FiiO FD3 has much more energetic mids and trebles than the Starfield. Maybe that's what I'm looking for. After all, energetic mids and highs should sound better for female vocals like Aurora Aksnes (or not).

I say this because a member here told me that in the end the Harman curve is about that: true neutrality. I got exactly that impression! It's going to sound great with everything, but at the same time it's not going to stand out in anything.

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #9,911 of 12,011
$200 is acceptable.

It's just that there are so many IEMs that I don't know if I'm looking for an "upgrade" or a different tonality like you said.

In the end, I think I'm looking for a different tonality. For example, I just saw in a review that the FiiO FD3 has much more energetic mids and trebles than the Starfield. Maybe that's what I'm looking for. After all, energetic mids and highs should sound better for female vocals like Aurora Aksnes (or not).

I say this because a member here told me that in the end the Harman curve is about that: true neutrality. I got exactly that impression! It's going to sound great with everything, but at the same time it's not going to stand out in anything.
What are your current source?
phone/amp/DAP ?
some iems are quiet picky about the source,

from your description,
the best option is Ikko OH10.

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #9,912 of 12,011
Don't be two attached to your quarks. The cable is really bad (after just two weeks of use at home):

Attachments

• IMG_20210908_083332.jpg
    IMG_20210908_083332.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210908_083223.jpg
    IMG_20210908_083223.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
Sep 8, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #9,913 of 12,011
$200 is acceptable.

I can suggest one which I have been using for past 4 days, but chances are that you will not consider it, simply because there is not much presence of it on internet compared to others. No discussion on it, no reviews put out by others. I am perhaps going to be the first person to officially put out a review of it. I played a gamble by making a blind buy for it, and it played off right. It's 634EARS SARN II.

https://634ears.com/products/sarn2/

sarn2.jpg

Single DD, wooden shell. I chose the stabilised wood shell, blue-green colour. Minor tweaks can be made in the tuning by communating with 634EARS himself (it's a one man company).

The stage WIDE. Super WIDE! Compared to Aria 2021, a harder hitting bass, much more microdetails in mids and highs, more energetic but refined highs, plenty of air - no congestion at all. Specially the note definitions are what surprised me, they are very well similar to a well-tuned BA, if not better.

However, the stock cable is crap, be sure you have a nice pure copper or OCC cable to bring out the best. Around 20-30 USD cable will do fine. Here is my setup:

20210907_160111.jpg

Sep 8, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #9,914 of 12,011
What are your current source?
phone/amp/DAP ?
some iems are quiet picky about the source,

from your description,
the best option is Ikko OH10.
My current source is an ASUS TUF B450-PRO GAMING (Realtek S1200A) and a Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus (I hardly use it, the IEMs are on my PC desk).

Have you ever heard anything from Aurora? I have it as a reference. If you can listen to "Aurora - Animal (Live at The Current)" available on YouTube (), I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Sep 8, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #9,915 of 12,011
I can suggest one which I have been using for past 4 days, but chances are that you will not consider it, simply because there is not much presence of it on internet compared to others. No discussion on it, no reviews put out by others. I am perhaps going to be the first person to officially put out a review of it. I played a gamble by making a blind buy for it, and it played off right. It's 634EARS SARN II.

https://634ears.com/products/sarn2/

sarn2.jpg

Single DD, wooden shell. I chose the stabilised wood shell, blue-green colour. Minor tweaks can be made in the tuning by communating with 634EARS himself (it's a one man company).

The stage WIDE. Super WIDE! Compared to Aria 2021, a harder hitting bass, much more microdetails in mids and highs, more energetic but refined highs, plenty of air - no congestion at all. Specially the note definitions are what surprised me, they are very well similar to a well-tuned BA, if not better.

However, the stock cable is crap, be sure you have a nice pure copper or OCC cable to bring out the best. Around 20-30 USD cable will do fine. Here is my setup:

20210907_160111.jpg
I swear I would consider it, but there are two points that lead me to exclude him from the list.

The first is that they don't sell on AliExpress and the second is that production is by hand (nothing against it), but I'm afraid of having a QC problem (I had with Aria, Moondrop sent me a new unit) and it would be difficult to solve.

But that's a beautiful IEM!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back