Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jul 9, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #8,702 of 11,979
Thanks for reassuring! Every time I buy a new product, it seems I start seeing more of the negative opinions haha! Thankfully the Dusk doesn’t have many of those.
Murphy's IEM Law™ - Within 48 hours of ordering one set of IEMs, you will inevitably figure out there's one you want more. This rule carries a 7x multiplier for international shipments.

Jul 9, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #8,703 of 11,979
Damn should I have bought Mangrid Tea instead? I just learned about it today.

This IEM game is a hard one...
Both Dusk/B2 and Tea has pros/cons, they don’t overlap✌️ Tea’s mid is very dense, full of information and texture vs dusk/b2’s Softears-MID-A is more of gain spot focused(it’s a spotlight on stage).

I’d suggest try this with Tea and Dusk, good live recording of midrange overtone, Tea shall do better with this song. Easy to tell bass speed too( if slow it will muffle, if fast piano will sound correctly tuned)

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #8,705 of 11,979
Our latest review of the Moondrop Aria IEMs - an overall balanced and natural timbre.
Nice comparison to Believe👍
I agree with that comparison too. “Aria is more musical compared to Believe” Believe has slightly better technically but I found the timbre of Aria to be slightly inclined to natural side.

Jul 9, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #8,707 of 11,979
My Variations finally came today! after a long month wait. I was gonna initially get Oracle, but saw the new Variations and bought it instead since I really liked Starfiled. Hope I made a good choice.
BTW, has anyone tried different cables for Variations? I am tempted to get Linsoul Nymph (on sale at Drop), or any other recommendation?

Jul 10, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #8,708 of 11,979
I agree with that comparison too. “Aria is more musical compared to Believe” Believe has slightly better technically but I found the timbre of Aria to be slightly inclined to natural side.
It seems that his view about the mid performance is inline with mine assessment....

Jul 10, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #8,709 of 11,979
Thank you! I am Lynn Gray, BTW! I think the Aria is amongst the best in my collection for timbre and musicality.

Jul 10, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #8,710 of 11,979
I’d suggest try this with Tea and Dusk, good live recording of midrange overtone, Tea shall do better with this song. Easy to tell bass speed too( if slow it will muffle, if fast piano will sound correctly tuned)
does this apply to the B2 as well since they have the same hardware despite the different tuning?

Jul 10, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #8,711 of 11,979
It seems that his view about the mid performance is inline with mine assessment....
I only agreed to the cross-comparison part to KBEar Believe, not absolute review part. I disgree about mid assessment but I start to suspect “mid” might be overlapping with my “bass” though.
my terminology about each frequency are following:
B40EA8B1-7CC4-485B-A13F-1B4DFF534D35.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #8,712 of 11,979
Thank you! I am Lynn Gray, BTW! I think the Aria is amongst the best in my collection for timbre and musicality.
Oh it was you😳
Have you tried removing iron damper filter (outer layer)? The mid of Aria is congested from that damper, the piano attack and male vocals has a veil with original damper.
does this apply to the B2 as well since they have the same hardware despite the different tuning?
Yea both B2/Dusk’s mid range driver is Softears-MID-A, with different pinna gain spot highlight. B2 with 2.5khz traditional harman peak, Dusk with latest trending 3khz peak, My personal spot is around 3,085Hz, so Dusk resonates very well. But overall technicalities they are same. “Stage spotlight” type.

Softears-midrange driver’s
Pros:
-dynamism
-focusing
-positioning
-vectoring
Cons:
-layering
-full-bodied fuller sound
-rather dry in overtones (could take as accurate and analytical, with compensation of richness)

Tea’s Quad-Sonion-mid BA:
Pros:
-Layering
-full-bodied /fuller sound
-very wet and rich
Cons:
-positioning
-focusing
These two set Tea’s mid range to rather “flat” imaging
-dynamism
-vectoring

They complement each other, whether you take dynamic illustration with analytical Softears or rich but flat Sonion.

Jul 10, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #8,713 of 11,979
Oh it was you😳
Have you tried removing iron damper filter (outer layer)? The mid of Aria is congested from that damper, the piano attack and male vocals has a veil with original damper.

Yea both B2/Dusk’s mid range driver is Softears-MID-A, with different pinna gain spot highlight. B2 with 2.5khz traditional harman peak, Dusk with latest trending 3khz peak, My personal spot is around 3,085Hz, so Dusk resonates very well. But overall technicalities they are same. “Stage spotlight” type.

Softears-midrange driver’s
Pros:
-dynamism
-focusing
-positioning
-vectoring
Cons:
-layering
-full-bodied fuller sound
-rather dry in overtones (could take as accurate and analytical, with compensation of richness)

Tea’s Quad-Sonion-mid BA:
Pros:
-Layering
-full-bodied /fuller sound
-very wet and rich
Cons:
-positioning
-focusing
These two set Tea’s mid range to rather “flat” imaging
-dynamism
-vectoring

They complement each other, whether you take dynamic illustration with analytical Softears or rich but flat Sonion.
Thank you for that, I may try removing the damper, is it simple to do?

Jul 10, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #8,714 of 11,979
My Variations finally came today! after a long month wait. I was gonna initially get Oracle, but saw the new Variations and bought it instead since I really liked Starfiled. Hope I made a good choice.
BTW, has anyone tried different cables for Variations? I am tempted to get Linsoul Nymph (on sale at Drop), or any other recommendation?
+1 for in need for cable rolling impressions too.
if you find stock cable of Variations too dry and the sound is too thin/analytical,
You may consider PW Audio Copper 28 (around $90), it adds some warmth.

Jul 10, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #8,715 of 11,979
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back