Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jun 17, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #8,236 of 11,980
Can't wait to hear some impressions on the Variations. Kind of an awkward name for a headphone (plural, a word that is already sometimes used in this space - i.e. "is the Variations a tribrid variation of the Blessing template?" etc.). But I'm a big fan of tribrids (or ... the Monarch is probably my favorite IEM) and Moondrop seems like a super solid company (Blessing 2 still the best value in the space, at least among what I've tried).

Care to share some impressions @AmericanSpirit if you got the time?
It’s from music reference: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variation_(music)

“In music, variation is a formal technique where material is repeated in an altered form.” So basically it’s “blessing2” repeated in an altered form👍

and yea I will cross review for Blessing2/ Blessing2 Dusk /Monarch /SA6 / Yume / Starsea/ maybe Aria too
Purchased the Variations.
Will definitely be leaving some sort of a review on this once I get my hands on.

I don't have a vast experience of iems as many of you guys do, but hopefully can give my impression on the iem that I had been anticipating for quite a long time.
welcome to Var. Club!

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #8,237 of 11,980
It’s from music reference: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variation_(music)

“In music, variation is a formal technique where material is repeated in an altered form.” So basically it’s “blessing2” repeated in an altered form👍

and yea I will cross review for Blessing2/ Blessing2 Dusk /Monarch /SA6 / Yume / Starsea/ maybe Aria too

welcome to Var. Club!
Thanks! Can't wait to hear your thoughts - particularly helpful for those of us who own one of the above. And yeah I'm familiar with the term in music - obviously a term in a lot of fields - sort of why it's kind of a funny choice. It's just a pretty ubiquitous word, and the plural feels like a departure - usually headphone naming is in the singular. But it's literally the least important thing about the IEM - don't care, just strikes me as a little clumsy.

Highly interested though. Was eyeing the Oracle or Excalibur given how much I loved the Monarch. But as aforementioned, also am very fond of the Blessing 2 (with some changes I'd like make of course), so they've fully got my attention here.

Jun 17, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #8,239 of 11,980
FR looks like that of an Etymotic but with a sub-bass boost. Quite promising IMO.
Screenshot_20210617-204755_Chrome.jpg

Jun 17, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #8,240 of 11,980
Seems like there are some people curious about the frequency response of the Variations.

I've been staring at Variation's graph for some time trying to figure out where I've seen the similar treble response (solely by the virtue of tuning).
The first photo below is Variation's Frequency Response, while the second photo underneath is Moondrop's Solis (currently their most expensive flagship and other EST offering) graph.

You could see that from 900Hz onward, their graphs look almost identical with a minor adjustment here and there.
Moondrop has taken Solis as a reference to how to properly utilize the EST treble response, and we can be confident it should perform relatively well by observing Crinacle's review of Solis -

"The Solis’ treble is a little more subdued compared to the Elysium but the overall tone and extension is about the same, with both comfortably hitting the air notes with no problems." - Crin

I've always been a fan of the way Moondrop tunes their upper-midrange so I'm content with the tuning so far.

Mid-bass rises starting from 200hz to give enough sensation of body without creeping into the midrange, and I see the tuning more as a U-shaped signature with strong sub-bass to give enough impact and dynamic by the virtue of its tuning.

To be honest, I hesitated a little bit the first time I saw their graph, but now I'm quite content after analyzing it a little bit.
I just hope their technicalities (imaging, separation, and layering) live up to what we all anticipate :)

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 10.33.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 10.51.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 10.50.56 PM.png

Jun 17, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #8,241 of 11,980
Thanks! Can't wait to hear your thoughts - particularly helpful for those of us who own one of the above. And yeah I'm familiar with the term in music - obviously a term in a lot of fields - sort of why it's kind of a funny choice. It's just a pretty ubiquitous word, and the plural feels like a departure - usually headphone naming is in the singular. But it's literally the least important thing about the IEM - don't care, just strikes me as a little clumsy.

Highly interested though. Was eyeing the Oracle or Excalibur given how much I loved the Monarch. But as aforementioned, also am very fond of the Blessing 2 (with some changes I'd like make of course), so they've fully got my attention here.
Haha yea it could also be taking as “unit variations”😨 I’d take just Blessing3 or B-EST, but it’s just a copy of UM’s Melogy-EST; MEST😮‍💨 Let’s see how Moondrop/Softears turns out tuning their third Sonion EST model , counting from Solis, Cerberus, then Variations.

Jun 17, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #8,242 of 11,980
Seems like there are some people curious about the frequency response of the Variations.

I've been staring at Variation's graph for some time trying to figure out where I've seen the similar treble response (solely by the virtue of tuning).
The first photo below is Variation's Frequency Response, while the second photo underneath is Moondrop's Solis (currently their most expensive flagship and other EST offering) graph.

You could see that from 900Hz onward, their graphs look almost identical with a minor adjustment here and there.
Moondrop has taken Solis as a reference to how to properly utilize the EST treble response, and we can be confident it should perform relatively well by observing Crinacle's review of Solis -

"The Solis’ treble is a little more subdued compared to the Elysium but the overall tone and extension is about the same, with both comfortably hitting the air notes with no problems." - Crin

I've always been a fan of the way Moondrop tunes their upper-midrange so I'm content with the tuning so far.

Mid-bass rises starting from 200hz to give enough sensation of body without creeping into the midrange, and I see the tuning more as a U-shaped signature with strong sub-bass to give enough impact and dynamic by the virtue of its tuning.

To be honest, I hesitated a little bit the first time I saw their graph, but now I'm quite content after analyzing it a little bit.
I just hope their technicalities (imaging, separation, and layering) live up to what we all anticipate :)

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 10.33.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 10.51.16 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-17 at 10.50.56 PM.png
Great!! I was too lazy to pull all three of those! Hope Crinacle update his database soon to it will be apple to apple.

It does look like Dusk-inspired Solis.

Jun 17, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #8,243 of 11,980
Haha yea it could also be taking as “unit variations”😨 I’d take just Blessing3 or B-EST, but it’s just a copy of UM’s Melogy-EST; MEST😮‍💨 Let’s see how Moondrop/Softears turns out tuning their third Sonion EST model , counting from Solis, Cerberus, then Variations.
can u tag my name when you have your impressions on Variations lol

Jun 18, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #8,245 of 11,980
Variations is release on Shenzhen Audio, $520. Order placed, it seems I got 1st, and my friend got 2nd order✌️
Nice, just ordered one as well. Didn't see an option for DHL express though? Just the free international shipping.

Interested in seeing how the bass from the LCP driver compares to the Dunu EST 112 with beryllium double side coated driver. I like the bass from the EST 112 a lot. One of the best bass presentation I've ever heard.

Jun 18, 2021 at 2:04 AM Post #8,246 of 11,980
Tried using the Aria with TRN BT20S pro and it is a pretty solid combination. After spending almost two weeks using KZ AST, the Aria has a very smooth sound. It makes me want to crank the volume up more and the louder it is, the better it sounds.

Jun 18, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #8,248 of 11,980
Nice, just ordered one as well. Didn't see an option for DHL express though? Just the free international shipping.
There is no option for DHL, but I emailed them and they confirmed that they will ship with DHL as soon as they get the first batch in a couple of days.

Jun 18, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #8,250 of 11,980

Interested in seeing how the bass from the LCP driver compares to the Dunu EST 112 with beryllium double side coated driver. I like the bass from the EST 112 a lot. One of the best bass presentation I've ever heard.
I contacted Shenzhen audio on chat/email/this thread and made sure they ship with DHL express for international shipping👍
0E568C85-55F9-4DC9-9863-2E5E9E4B5648.jpeg

516038ED-BFA6-4C61-8C0C-71986B2A0798.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back