Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Apr 28, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #7,696 of 12,004
Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #7,697 of 12,004
yes there's new version of CP100, slightly shorter length - wider bore - the umbrella material similar to CP360

Gen 1
images (58).jpeg

Gen 2
images (57).jpeg

@cleg

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #7,699 of 12,004
Apr 28, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #7,700 of 12,004
After 100 hours of burnin, just removed nozzle filter from Aria.

The muffled mid is almost gone!
-The sound is much more “lively”, finally a clear vision from top to bottom!
-The filter seemed still reattach-able
- do note I use Xelastec M (L makes it dark) eartip after rolling many others
-Trade off: a bit off-phase sub-bass, treble gets boosted as well, so it’s not moondrop’s house curve anymore
-diffusion field also got a bit narrower
-there are another layer of acoustic filter inside of the nozzle filter
-beware of proper fit, Aria needs deeper insertion than Starfield and KXXS, otherwise it will be a dead hollow sound; try to push it and listen to the sound change, when you get a completely sealed air vent hole, the magic kicks in, this is noticeable by driver flex sound due to insertion air pressure.
- I’d say this will bring Aria’s sound sigunature to bright neutral ( hints of U still exists)
-post burn-in, air presentation still seemed a bit rough but forgivable

bottomline: it’s not a magic to make Aria to top-of-the-line IEMs, but it is a significant technicality improvement.

I would refer Aria, with xelastec M, deeper insertion & full seal, removed nozzle, post 100 hr burn-in, as Mini-Softears RSV.

Sound image coordination and vector presentation is not what RSV level could offer, but as far as resolution and diffusion field width, it comes to closer region.

highly recommended to Aria owners👍now Aria hits on top of my list among KXXS/Starfield. It’s definitely not a “budget KXXS or Starfield” anymore.
Resolution is higher than NF Audio NM2+ now.

picture with stock nozzle filter : hex shape iron filter), the top black one is Aria.

2BEAAF70-0753-40BD-91F4-39CD38EBDC55.jpeg
After removing the hex iron filter:
3900BE6D-DDF9-4546-8870-B2C30EC52F73.jpeg
How does it affect durability? Aren't those filter meant to prevent earwax and dust getting into the driver?

Apr 28, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #7,701 of 12,004
After 100 hours of burnin, just removed nozzle filter from Aria.

The muffled mid is almost gone!
-The sound is much more “lively”, finally a clear vision from top to bottom!
-The filter seemed still reattach-able
- do note I use Xelastec M (L makes it dark) eartip after rolling many others
-Trade off: a bit off-phase sub-bass, treble gets boosted as well, so it’s not moondrop’s house curve anymore
-diffusion field also got a bit narrower
-there are another layer of acoustic filter inside of the nozzle filter
-beware of proper fit, Aria needs deeper insertion than Starfield and KXXS, otherwise it will be a dead hollow sound; try to push it and listen to the sound change, when you get a completely sealed air vent hole, the magic kicks in, this is noticeable by driver flex sound due to insertion air pressure.
- I’d say this will bring Aria’s sound sigunature to bright neutral ( hints of U still exists)
-post burn-in, air presentation still seemed a bit rough but forgivable

bottomline: it’s not a magic to make Aria to top-of-the-line IEMs, but it is a significant technicality improvement.

I would refer Aria, with xelastec M, deeper insertion & full seal, removed nozzle, post 100 hr burn-in, as Mini-Softears RSV.

Sound image coordination and vector presentation is not what RSV level could offer, but as far as resolution and diffusion field width, it comes to closer region.

highly recommended to Aria owners👍now Aria hits on top of my list among KXXS/Starfield. It’s definitely not a “budget KXXS or Starfield” anymore.
Resolution is higher than NF Audio NM2+ now.
Thanks for the mod advice. The Moondrop Aria has been on my radar since I've yet to try one of their IEMs yet. I disliked the paint job on the Starfield and the Aria is definitely a nice looking IEM in the under $100 realm. This mod reminded me of removing the Ibasso IT01 screen which kinda did the same thing for me, making them overall a brighter set with bit more clarity and lessening the bass to a degree. Were you able to reverse the mod afterwards or was the hex filter pretty much wrecked after removal? I also have a spare set of Xelastec M and maybe this is the IEM for them.

Apr 28, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #7,702 of 12,004
Apr 28, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #7,703 of 12,004
Thanks for the mod advice. The Moondrop Aria has been on my radar since I've yet to try one of their IEMs yet. I disliked the paint job on the Starfield and the Aria is definitely a nice looking IEM in the under $100 realm. This mod reminded me of removing the Ibasso IT01 screen which kinda did the same thing for me, making them overall a brighter set with bit more clarity and lessening the bass to a degree. Were you able to reverse the mod afterwards or was the hex filter pretty much wrecked after removal? I also have a spare set of Xelastec M and maybe this is the IEM for them.
The filter removed is completely reusable to my eye, I've attached it to some decal surface, just in case I decided to go back to the OG, which I feel that will never an option for me. It's definitely a recommendable mod, I believe the only reason Moondrop added the new hex filter is to handcuff the frequency responses to the Harman curve with a sacrifice in midrange suffocation.

Apr 28, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #7,704 of 12,004
They also give you 3 extra pairs of both filters in the box.

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #7,705 of 12,004
Yea I found it yesterday too, but it seems like it’s been on Moondrop’s official web for a long time, maybe @MOONDROP could clarify. I saw “Reference 2” and “Reference 3” on moondroplab.com too, what’s the connections and what drivers do those “reference CIEM” series use?
Currently there's only ver2 available.
Ver1 and ver2 are the single BA driver with different design.(they didn't disclose which driver)
Ref3 was still in design (which was a memed product in chinese fanbase because it was delayed since end of 2018 and it's still not there), I know that the original design was to upgrade to a BA-DD hybrid, but I never heard back from them aince then.

Last edited:
Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
Apr 29, 2021 at 12:57 AM Post #7,706 of 12,004
They also give you 3 extra pairs of both filters in the box.
oops, I didn't look at the box and ordered
Currently there's only ver2 available.
Ver1 and ver2 are the single BA driver with different design.(they didn't disclose which driver)
Ref3 was still in design (which was a memed product in chinese fanbase because it was delayed since end of 2018 and it's still not there), I know that the original design was to upgrade to a BA-DD hybrid, but I never heard back from them aince then.
Understood! Thanks for the clarification!

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #7,707 of 12,004
Question: Am I the only one that has an SSP with ultra-tight female 2-pin? To the point that I can't use other 2-pin cables and only the stock?

I finally managed to remove the stock cable of my SSP. I've had it for more than a few weeks already. But then I tried inserting a different cable and it just won't go in no matter how much force I put in it. I'm afraid to put more strength in inserting for the fear of breaking the male 2-pin of my cable.

I've tried using the stock cable of the SSP with other IEMs and it works just fine.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #7,708 of 12,004
Question: Am I the only one that has an SSP with ultra-tight female 2-pin? To the point that I can't use other 2-pin cables and only the stock?

I finally managed to remove the stock cable of my SSP. I've had it for more than a few weeks already. But then I tried inserting a different cable and it just won't go in no matter how much force I put in it. I'm afraid to put more strength in inserting for the fear of breaking the male 2-pin of my cable.

I've tried using the stock cable of the SSP with other IEMs and it works just fine.
Had the same problem with my xinhs cable and nf audio na2/blon 01, but kz zsx/dq6 fitted well.
I also have the cheapest nicehck 16 core and it fits all four just fine.🤔

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #7,709 of 12,004
Had the same problem with my xinhs cable and nf audio na2/blon 01, but kz zsx/dq6 fitted well.
I also have the cheapest nicehck 16 core and it fits all four just fine.🤔
I don't ever wanna experience trying to remove the cable again just like in the SSP. It was a horrible ~30 seconds, for lack of a better word.

This is the only IEM that I've experienced such issue with.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #7,710 of 12,004
After break in its definitely more technical less boomy and slightly more bite then SF. Love it Aria 2021 ❤
IMG_20210429_172015_832.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back