Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
May 1, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #7,726 of 11,979
Blessing 2 is not a very easy IEM to run for sure, and the tuning is Harman natural, which is not dead flat neutral like one of those ER4. As you seemed a bit treble sensitive from the EQ settings, which a notable reviewer Crinacle also mentioned about the same point about the treble about B2, so he came up with his personal target curse which sets few decibels lower on the treble range, and made sub-200hz range bit slammer, and called it Blessing 2 Dusk model. That might have been your pick.

As you mentioned the guitar sounded off to you, it could possibly mean your personal pinna gain is around 3kHz, vs the original blessing 2 set it as 2.5k Hz. Although FiiO BTR5 only comes with 2k and 4khz EQ lever, you may adjust both by a few dBs and you may get better mid-range presentations to fit with your own HRTF. If you ever consider an upgrade, Softears RSV does handle this 3k peak just like Blessing 2 Dusk, and it does it better way.

graph (3).png

I believe it was either you or Pheonix Song that recommended the Dusk model to me a couple of weeks ago. I was going to wait to make this post until I got a chance to spend some time trying slightly different EQ settings with different subgenres. But I figure part of what I was going to say is relevant here: shipping time is half the reason why I chose to go with the original version. The other half is confidence that I would be able to return it if I wasn't satisfied. If the Dusk had wider availability, I would've gotten it instead. You and Misery both noted that the EQ settings changes I mentioned are very similar to the Dusk: that's because I copied them directly from the above chart and slightly modified by ear from there.

I'm a bit worried that the Fiio Control app now refuses to connect to my BTR5 no matter how many reconnect/reinstall/etc I do though. The device itself is still working just fine (including EQ settings) but it doesn't seem like you can manage EQ through the device. Not sure what the problem is and there's no way to diagnose.

May 1, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #7,727 of 11,979
I believe it was either you or Pheonix Song that recommended the Dusk model to me a couple of weeks ago. I was going to wait to make this post until I got a chance to spend some time trying slightly different EQ settings with different subgenres. But I figure part of what I was going to say is relevant here: shipping time is half the reason why I chose to go with the original version. The other half is confidence that I would be able to return it if I wasn't satisfied. If the Dusk had wider availability, I would've gotten it instead. You and Misery both noted that the EQ settings changes I mentioned are very similar to the Dusk: that's because I copied them directly from the above chart and slightly modified by ear from there.

I'm a bit worried that the Fiio Control app now refuses to connect to my BTR5 no matter how many reconnect/reinstall/etc I do though. The device itself is still working just fine (including EQ settings) but it doesn't seem like you can manage EQ through the device. Not sure what the problem is and there's no way to diagnose.
It wasn't me for sure :upside_down: I'm still very new to IEMs

May 1, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #7,729 of 11,979

Yea the dusk is now shipped with 4px...I may get it stolen because the delivery carriers just leave it without notice to my doorsteps, and the time period of delivery us widely unknown(4weeks-13weeks).
The FiiO Control App is kinda tricky, I also have that recognition problem but somehow even after it says “can not find device” if you leave it for 5 sec, then reconnect, it recognizes BTR5.

lol my avatar is HD650 girl!

May 1, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #7,730 of 11,979
For potential Aria buyer and current owner, if you missed, like I did:
Aria’s user guide states “LCP drivers perform poorly in terms of distortion and fidelity right out of box, it needs 100 hours of burn-in” and with burn-in instructions. So people, please do not just post out-of-the-box reflex impressions and leave Aria in the dust, it’s not how it supposed to sound.

it also comes with outer filter(hex iron one) and inner filter (acoustic filter) spares, so you can feel freely to try out removing hex outer filter mod.(note: only outer hex iron filter! The inner white mesh acoustic filter needs to stay, I removed that white mesh and it made sound out of balance, bass got ruined.)
045D5291-36F7-41EC-BD3A-F12019CBE01E.jpeg

51B78B67-BAA3-49C6-9023-DE072CC43634.jpeg

F94084FE-8D9D-4A19-BDBE-42788B9198FD.jpeg

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #7,731 of 11,979
Yea the dusk is now shipped with 4px...I may get it stolen because the delivery carriers just leave it without notice to my doorsteps, and the time period of delivery us widely unknown(4weeks-13weeks).
The FiiO Control App is kinda tricky, I also have that recognition problem but somehow even after it says “can not find device” if you leave it for 5 sec, then reconnect, it recognizes BTR5.

lol my avatar is HD650 girl!
It's recognizing the BTR5, it's just giving me 'connection failed' repeatedly. :slight_frown:

I'm coming around to the stock Blessing 2 sound. The BTR5 gives me so much more control over volume that I've been able to tame the brightness even without EQ. :notes:

May 2, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #7,732 of 11,979
For potential Aria buyer and current owner, if you missed, like I did:
Aria’s user guide states “LCP drivers perform poorly in terms of distortion and fidelity right out of box, it needs 100 hours of burn-in” and with burn-in instructions. So people, please do not just post out-of-the-box reflex impressions and leave Aria in the dust, it’s not how it supposed to sound.

it also comes with outer filter(hex iron one) and inner filter (acoustic filter) spares, so you can feel freely to try out removing hex outer filter mod.(note: only outer hex iron filter! The inner white mesh acoustic filter needs to stay, I removed that white mesh and it made sound out of balance, bass got ruined.)045D5291-36F7-41EC-BD3A-F12019CBE01E.jpeg
That was my point was that burn in for these iem is real. I wasn't talking about the brain kind but rather the driver kind as clearly explained in the instructions given the unique composition of the driver.

May 2, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #7,733 of 11,979
I emailed bonnie about “Are you sure you shipped my Blessing 2 Dusk thru infamous 4px!?” And they repllied “yes, if you have any other question please tell me”😫 what a disappointment from Shenzhen Audio....... I guess I will never use them again. 4px takes forever to get to USA, not even to mention inaccurate tracking information, they just leave packages in front of my door step that can be get stolen at anytime in the place I live.
One time I haven’t noticed there was a cheap eartips delivered to my doors steps for 4 days.
I ordered my Aria from Shenzen Audio via their Amazon store on 18 April and they were shipped 4px and delivered to me here in the UK yesterday - so less than 2 weeks China to UK. You were absolutely right about the door step delivery; they were left outside without the courier even ringing the bell! Just happened to find them when I went out, no idea how long they were there for...

You won't be surprised to hear that I love the Arias. I mostly fish in the sub-£30 budget chifi pool (with the exception of my ER4P from back in the day) but these are the best I've heard and are ridiculously high value for money.

May 2, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #7,734 of 11,979
I ordered my Aria from Shenzen Audio via their Amazon store on 18 April and they were shipped 4px and delivered to me here in the UK yesterday - so less than 2 weeks China to UK. You were absolutely right about the door step delivery; they were left outside without the courier even ringing the bell! Just happened to find them when I went out, no idea how long they were there for...

You won't be surprised to hear that I love the Arias. I mostly fish in the sub-£30 budget chifi pool (with the exception of my ER4P from back in the day) but these are the best I've heard and are ridiculously high value for money.
Yes...for Aria I ordered thru Shenzhen audio it was also 4px, some other dealers ship eith DHL even for sub$100 items so I had a hope Shenzhen follow the courtesy of good hearts’.

Good to hear you love Aria! Yes ER4 still have top-notch 4K resolution! It just discomfort and no-sound stage, limited instruments separation with high traffic that kept Etymotic a bit behind.

I’d suggest try remove the first outer iron filter (hex shaped) using a 🧷 or 📌 (pin clip). It will derail the sound signature from harman curve to bright neutral, with a significant improvement in technicalities.
Now even with those kilo buck IEMs, I still prefer to listen Aria for the most of the day.
ACEBA51F-916A-4F92-BE93-0EB5DEE58E79.jpeg

5F0AFD7D-5FD7-4CCD-AC3B-B349A1A67A2D.jpeg

May 2, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #7,735 of 11,979
Yes...for Aria I ordered thru Shenzhen audio it was also 4px, some other dealers ship eith DHL even for sub$100 items so I had a hope Shenzhen follow the courtesy of good hearts’.

Good to hear you love Aria! Yes ER4 still have top-notch 4K resolution! It just discomfort and no-sound stage, limited instruments separation with high traffic that kept Etymotic a bit behind.

I’d suggest try remove the first outer iron filter (hex shaped) using a 🧷 or 📌 (pin clip). It will derail the sound signature from harman curve to bright neutral, with a significant improvement in technicalities.
Now even with those kilo buck IEMs, I still prefer to listen Aria for the most of the day.
I wonder if the KXXS mesh filters will have as big an impact on the sound as the hex filter does

May 2, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #7,736 of 11,979
I wonder if the KXXS mesh filters will have as big an impact on the sound as the hex filter does
I will try later, I usually don’t check the box but it seems like KXXS may also have spare filters within stock box.

From the density of KXXS filter, I can imagine it does less in terms of acoustic, probably some treble/bass taming, so midrange could raise at some cost of losing sound stage and resolution, dynamic range illustrations.

May 2, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #7,737 of 11,979

I remember doing something similar to the KZ ZS7. No internal debris filter, unfortunately, but a similar effect on the sound when that outer mesh one is removed.

Any interesting discoveries while tip-rolling now that the outer screen is gone? I have a feeling you could reintroduce some of that midbass energy back in with some Symbio Hybrids. Don't know what they'll do to your fit, though.

May 2, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #7,738 of 11,979
EEA412C3-8A57-4C87-887B-9CC2AEF03589.jpeg

Nice Sunday afternoon. What a sunny day!
I just gone thru all three sisters of Kanas family, Aria / Starfield / KXXS this after noon. And would like to go through tonality difference among them with a perfectly comprehensive video comparison. The reaons why I’m posting this is because I saw some reviewers commented they sound alike. If you can tell the tonality difference of the piano tone below, you wouldn’t tell Aria/Starfield/KXXS sound alike. If not they all sound “piano”.

All used xelastec M size & stock cable for consistency

Aria (removed hex filter) : Yamaha

-Cleanest tone of all three, less overtones, reminiscent to Yamaha grand piano in the video.

[with original stock hex filter attached]
-the mid range distortion resulted Aria to sounds like inappropriately tuned Bosendorfer

Starfield: Steinway

-Balanced tone from top to bottom with moderate overtones and thus producing comparatively milder tone between two sisters reminiscent to Steinway grand piano

KXXS : Bosendorder

-Richest overtone of all three, mellower midrange produces very euphoric tuning among all sisters, reminiscent to Bosendorrer grand piano

neutrality reference point: Sennheriser HD560S & Softears RSV

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #7,739 of 11,979
EEA412C3-8A57-4C87-887B-9CC2AEF03589.jpeg
Nice Sunday afternoon. What a sunny day!
I just gone thru all three sisters of Kanas family, Aria / Starfield / KXXS this after noon. And would like to go through tonality difference among them with a perfectly comprehensive video comparison:

All used xelastec M size & stock cable for consistency

Aria (removed hex filter) : Yamaha

-Cleanest tone of all three, less overtones, reminiscent to Yamaha grand piano in the video.

Starfield: Steinway

-Balanced tone from top to bottom with moderate overtones and thus producing comparatively milder tone between two sisters reminiscent to Steinway grand piano

KXXS : Bosendorder

-Richest overtone of all three, mellower midrange produces very euphoric tuning among all sisters, reminiscent to Bosendorrer grand piano

Original neutral Reference used to run: Sennheriser HD560S & Softears RSV

Aww man you can't pull a Bosendorfer analogy on us like that!!!!

I kid, I kid. Great comparison. I would add the KPE in between that Bosendorfer/Steinway ranking. Not quite plucky (more of a softened hammer feel), but the richness and resonances you can get out of that IEM when properly amped....just a really pleasant tonality.

May 2, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #7,740 of 11,979
Aww man you can't pull a Bosendorfer analogy on us like that!!!!

I kid, I kid. Great comparison. I would add the KPE in between that Bosendorfer/Steinway ranking. Not quite plucky (more of a softened hammer feel), but the richness and resonances you can get out of that IEM when properly amped....just a really pleasant tonality.
😂 that inappropriately tuned Bosendorfer part!
I personally loved Chopin Nocturne with that Bosendorfer, and Steinway/Yamaha for the Saints go march.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back