Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Feb 8, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #7,096 of 12,007
Yeah i mean the mids sound a bit too forward to me.
Imma get the xelentos from a trade soon, hope it won't be too bright, thats my only concern.
Xelento isn't bright, they are V shaped

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 4:42 AM Post #7,097 of 12,007
Bro u should try the HZSound Heart Mirror if you like the SSR kind of signature. Heart Mirror is a neutralish bright set with linear bass, but it isn't shouty in the 3 kHz region, which is an issue with the SSR at louder volumes (Fletcher Munson curve). I really like that the Heart Mirror manages to bring a forward upper mids without veering into shoutiness, which is a very hard line to balance. I do think the HZSound Heart Mirror is much more refined in terms of timbre (instrumental/vocals) and transients and technical performance. Maybe SSR wins in the area of drivability and soundstage, but I do think Heart Mirror beats SSR in the other areas. Heart Mirror needs an amp though, it sounds very meh from a low powered smart phone, but when amped I do think it is an upgrade over the SSR for vocal lovers.
Wait, from your review I thought ssr has better technicalities. But here you are saying that heart mirror is more refined? Can you explain a little bit more. Also, I was thinking of buying the heart mirror (or ssr), but is it so bad without an amp? I listen from my s10e or my MacBook. Is it better to buy ssr for me then?

Feb 8, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #7,098 of 12,007
Wait, from your review I thought ssr has better technicalities. But here you are saying that heart mirror is more refined? Can you explain a little bit more. Also, I was thinking of buying the heart mirror (or ssr), but is it so bad without an amp? I listen from my s10e or my MacBook. Is it better to buy ssr for me then?

When both are not amped, the SSR is better in terms of technicalities, but when amped Heart Mirror is better. But they are both very good in the technical department for a single DD at this price range. Quite an eye opener cause they have resolution that can compete with some budget multi driver types. But I would say when amped, the Heart Mirror is the better set. In terms of "refinement", I would say the Heart Mirror doesn't have the harsh 3 kHz area at louder volumes, and timbre for vocals/instruments is better too, so in terms of tonality and timbre, I do prefer the Heart Mirror (when amped). If you are a loud volume listener, I think the SSR is not the best choice as the Fletcher Munson curve really overemphasizes the 3 Khz area and it becomes an ice pick for me. Isolation, looks and accessories all better in the Heart Mirror, but the SSR does have better soundstage even when the Heart Mirror is amped.

As for the question about amping requirements, SSR isn't the easiest to drive, and does scale better with an amp, but for the Heart Mirror, amping is quite mandatory. Heart Mirror sounds very flat when unamped and the soundstage is very narrow and note weight is very thin when not amped. Yeah, so if you are not gonna get an amp, best to consider an alternative IEM.

Feb 8, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #7,099 of 12,007
When both are not amped, the SSR is better in terms of technicalities, but when amped Heart Mirror is better. But they are both very good in the technical department for a single DD at this price range. Quite an eye opener cause they have resolution that can compete with some budget multi driver types. But I would say when amped, the Heart Mirror is the better set. In terms of "refinement", I would say the Heart Mirror doesn't have the harsh 3 kHz area at louder volumes, and timbre for vocals/instruments is better too, so in terms of tonality and timbre, I do prefer the Heart Mirror (when amped). If you are a loud volume listener, I think the SSR is not the best choice as the Fletcher Munson curve really overemphasizes the 3 Khz area and it becomes an ice pick for me. Isolation, looks and accessories all better in the Heart Mirror, but the SSR does have better soundstage even when the Heart Mirror is amped.

As for the question about amping requirements, SSR isn't the easiest to drive, and does scale better with an amp, but for the Heart Mirror, amping is quite mandatory. Heart Mirror sounds very flat when unamped and the soundstage is very narrow and note weight is very thin when not amped. Yeah, so if you are not gonna get an amp, best to consider an alternative IEM.
Thanks for the clarification! I will hold out on buying them until I get an amp then.

Edit: Also can you suggest a neutral portable amp? I think I saw one of your recommendations somewhere recently, can't remember where though.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #7,100 of 12,007
Thanks for the clarification! I will hold out on buying them then until I get an amp then.

Edit: Also can you suggest a neutral portable amp? I think I saw one of your recommendations somewhere recently, can't remember where though.

For dongle type DAC/AMPs, u can check out the Meizu Hifi or Tempotec Sonata HD Pro. I think they can be gotten at sub $30 USD. The tempotec sonata HD Pro is quite neutral and transparent, very good measurements and has low output impedance (so great for multi BA driver types). Also it has no hiss, dark background, doesn't get warm and has a volume controller.

Tempotec Sonata HD Pro can't drive very low sensitivity/high impedance type gear or planars, but it can go up to 2V output based on an auto gain setting as it automatically detects the impedance of the connected IEM. But I managed to power the Heart Mirror on it, by tricking it into a high output mode all the time, by putting a 3.5 mm male to female adapter on it. It isn't as nice sounding as when amped on a desktop setup, but I guess for the price (and portability), not much to complain about.

Feb 8, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #7,101 of 12,007
For dongle type DAC/AMPs, u can check out the Meizu Hifi or Tempotec Sonata HD Pro. I think they can be gotten at sub $30 USD. The tempotec sonata HD Pro is quite neutral and transparent, very good measurements and has low output impedance (so great for multi BA driver types). Also it has no hiss, dark background, doesn't get warm and has a volume controller.

Tempotec Sonata HD Pro can't drive very low sensitivity/high impedance type gear or planars, but it can go up to 2V output based on an auto gain setting as it automatically detects the impedance of the connected IEM. But I managed to power the Heart Mirror on it, by tricking it into a high output mode all the time, by putting a 3.5 mm male to female adapter on it. It isn't as nice sounding as when amped on a desktop setup, but I guess for the price (and portability), not much to complain about.
Thanks I will check them out.

Feb 8, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #7,102 of 12,007
Bumping the quantity of bass will only add bass but not texture. Texture coming from the driver itself. So he probably need to get other IEM for that.
True, but then he would only have one issue rather than three, which may or may not end up with him being content, for $0, give or take nil. Still worth a shot.

Bro u should try the HZSound Heart Mirror if you like the SSR kind of signature. Heart Mirror is a neutralish bright set with linear bass, but it isn't shouty in the 3 kHz region, which is an issue with the SSR at louder volumes (Fletcher Munson curve). I really like that the Heart Mirror manages to bring a forward upper mids without veering into shoutiness, which is a very hard line to balance. I do think the HZSound Heart Mirror is much more refined in terms of timbre (instrumental/vocals) and transients and technical performance. Maybe SSR wins in the area of drivability and soundstage, but I do think Heart Mirror beats SSR in the other areas. Heart Mirror needs an amp though, it sounds very meh from a low powered smart phone, but when amped I do think it is an upgrade over the SSR for vocal lovers.
This is all true. I would like to add however that Heart Mirror lacks some sparkle, and in fact may sound rather "dull" without that sparkle. YMMV of course.

(As time goes by I'm starting to suspect I'm a treblehead..)

Feb 8, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #7,103 of 12,007
Sorry for double posting, I missed this one:

with the human malware still not easing up in my region, and with the whole work from home stuff, I'm unable to try them out (best way to decide)

Could you perhaps explain to me how the SSP compares to the SSR?
The SSP has a more popular sound, a bigger base which addresses common complaints about the SSR, but at the same time the increase in bass decreases other parts of the frequency and you're left with a pleasant yet unremarkable tonality. It's not bad by any stretch, but it's less flavorful compared to the SSR.

The bass quality also isn't maintained, and the (bigger) bass is now also more rounded, though I can't call it slow.

FYI there's also the SSR Stardust which some (me included) say it's a midpoint between SSR and SSP. All official statements say the sound should be identical to the SSR though so I don't know what happened there.

Feb 8, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #7,104 of 12,007
Hey all im looking to upgrade from the fdx1 to the blessing 2 but I have very small ear canals (I always use the very smallest and lowest insertion tips available with an iem) so before I purchase them I was wondering if anyone else with small ear canals was able to achieve a comfortable fit thankyou!

Feb 8, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #7,105 of 12,007
Sorry for double posting, I missed this one:

The SSP has a more popular sound, a bigger base which addresses common complaints about the SSR, but at the same time the increase in bass decreases other parts of the frequency and you're left with a pleasant yet unremarkable tonality. It's not bad by any stretch, but it's less flavorful compared to the SSR.

The bass quality also isn't maintained, and the (bigger) bass is now also more rounded, though I can't call it slow.

FYI there's also the SSR Stardust which some (me included) say it's a midpoint between SSR and SSP. All official statements say the sound should be identical to the SSR though so I don't know what happened there.
Aye, SSP seems safe to purchase, but TFZ Exclusive 1 that I own, I assume, already has that similar sound signature, and as far as bass goes, so long as they exist well, I'm okay with it.
I listen with K's LBB (earbud) most of the time since they don't put stress on my ears, the LBB sound signature has the 2khz-6khz or so range being louder than the rest, with very noticable peaks at 2khz-ish and 5khz. Below that it sounds neutral to me, so I'm wondering perhaps the SSR might sound like this but probably 'louder' in said region.

Also, does anyone own a Moondrop MK1 replacement cable? I'd like to know what it's like from you folks perspective

Feb 8, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #7,106 of 12,007
Hey all im looking to upgrade from the fdx1 to the blessing 2 but I have very small ear canals (I always use the very smallest and lowest insertion tips available with an iem) so before I purchase them I was wondering if anyone else with small ear canals was able to achieve a comfortable fit thankyou!
that's a no, a big NO,
look somewhere else.

I highly recommend the dunu line up for you.

Feb 8, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #7,107 of 12,007
that's a no, a big NO,
look somewhere else.

I highly recommend the dunu line up for you.
I don't know if it is as cut and dried as that. I have medium-ish ear canals that curve. I found the DK-2001 took some fiddling to get a comfortable fit. I had to use SpinFit SS tips. I cannot speak for the Blessing 2. The Starfield was a much easier fit for me than the DK-2001.

Feb 8, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #7,108 of 12,007
Aye, SSP seems safe to purchase, but TFZ Exclusive 1 that I own, I assume, already has that similar sound signature, and as far as bass goes, so long as they exist well, I'm okay with it.

Not really.. The TFZ seems to have a beefier lower end with a tamer upper mid
graph (1).png

But they both lean towards a popular, fun sound, yes.

Feb 8, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #7,109 of 12,007
Not really.. The TFZ seems to have a beefier lower end with a tamer upper mid

But they both lean towards a popular, fun sound, yes.
That seems about right then, I EQ'd down the lower region by about -5 and goes back up as it goes to the mid on my TFZ Exclusive 1 (the rumblinggggg that it produce isn't nice to have when using it to head to sleep but nice for cycling, based on my experience)

I checked the SSR Stardust, seems interesting, but boi it cost 27 bucks more than the SSR

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back