Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Feb 7, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #7,081 of 12,007
oooh this one kinda scares me, I don't really insert my IEMs that deep and since I've went to the doctor quite plenty of times already due to my ear getting infected, I don't really want to insert something that deep for prolonged amount of time.
Picture is taken from Otto Motor's review of it on head-fi
For reference I use my IEMs (current one is TFZ Exclusive 1) 'just about in', which mean the eartips are in enough but not as deep as the right picture shows (perhaps like what the left picture shows but a little deeper), I can still touch the bottom end of my eartip

Attachments

• 1612700345009.png
    1612700345009.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Feb 7, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #7,083 of 12,007
oooh this one kinda scares me, I don't really insert my IEMs that deep and since I've went to the doctor quite plenty of times already due to my ear getting infected, I don't really want to insert something that deep for prolonged amount of time.
Picture is taken from Otto Motor's review of it on head-fi
For reference I use my IEMs (current one is TFZ Exclusive 1) 'just about in', which mean the eartips are in enough but not as deep as the right picture shows (perhaps like what the left picture shows but a little deeper), I can still touch the bottom end of my eartip

Yeah, if the insertion will bother you then look elsewhere.

Feb 7, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #7,084 of 12,007
As i said, im happy with the blessing 2s signature, its a good base.
Beside more bass and bass texture, i'd imagine my perfect iem to be a bit less forward sounding, and just a bit less bright.
I mainly listen to hiphop, rap, but occasionally metal and edm, acoustic too.
The simplest and cheapest solution would just be to EQ it, bump the subbass up and upper mids down. I don't know whether texture would be helped, but since it's free, why not try it? :wink:

Good day fellas,
So I'm quite confused as to which I should pick, a Moondrop SSR or a Final Audio E1000 (E1000 being few bucks cheaper), both are at relatively within the same price range from where I live.
As for build quality, SSR wins due to its better shell and having a removable cable, and as far as accessories (or bonuses) go, the E1000 seems to have more bonus seeing it comes with a full set of Final E tips which, based on the seller's price that sold it per pair, basically cost almost the same as the E1000 itself.
With that said though, I don't mind the non-removable cable since I'm only planning to use it when I'm just chilling, walking, and stuff, not bringing it for a run or anything, and if I'm using myself as a guideline on whether or not non-removable cable will last, oh it will last, I have a Sennheiser MX475 that I've had since 2014 and its still running well, and as far as eartips goes, I don't see the need for an extra of them since I already have one that come stock with my TFZ Exclusive 1 that fits my ear really well and there are 3 pairs of them!
SO! How do they compare sound wise?
Thank you and have a good day!
The E1000 is a nonstarter for me because it has fixed cable. Final E tips are also not my favorite, they dampen the sound (muffle the higher frequencies) too much for my liking.

SSR for me, although I would suggest you take a look at the SSP before buying the SSR.

Feb 7, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #7,085 of 12,007
The simplest and cheapest solution would just be to EQ it, bump the subbass up and upper mids down. I don't know whether texture would be helped, but since it's free, why not try it? :wink:

The E1000 is a nonstarter for me because it has fixed cable. Final E tips are also not my favorite, they dampen the sound (muffle the higher frequencies) too much for my liking.

SSR for me, although I would suggest you take a look at the SSP before buying the SSR.

I just bought the SSP and I am hoping for a flush fit as many have talked about...i want something comfy for bed time.

Feb 7, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #7,086 of 12,007
Thank you for the reply folks, I'm still quite confused as to which I should get between the two, but sound wise I'm more keen towards the SSR, mainly due to its sound signature. I wonder what it's like, I heard plenty doesn't really like the harshness of it. I would like to try it since basically all my IEMs doesn't really have this sound signature (Radius HP-NEF31, TFZ Exclusive 1, Sony MH750). Although with that said, I will probably 'flatten' it according to my ear through EQ. But nevertheless, the two seems interesting to get.

with the human malware still not easing up in my region, and with the whole work from home stuff, I'm unable to try them out (best way to decide)

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #7,087 of 12,007
with the human malware still not easing up in my region, and with the whole work from home stuff, I'm unable to try them out (best way to decide)

Could you perhaps explain to me how the SSP compares to the SSR?

Feb 7, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #7,088 of 12,007
Could you perhaps explain to me how the SSP compares to the SSR?

Retuned with greater bass presence. Sounds more balanced and less upper-mids happy than the SSR, which works better for most music. However, I find the SSR to present the most intimate, detailed vocals I've ever come across in its price class and is a good way of getting neutral on a budget.

Feb 7, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #7,089 of 12,007
Decided to order the FIIO UTWS3 to pair with my Blessing 2 Dusk IEMs for walking around outside and they work great. It took 20-days to arrive from order to delivery which wasn't as bad as they suggested on Aliexpress. I haven't A/B tested them vs the FIIO BTR5 which had been my outside solution for a while, but from memory they sound about the same, but sans the wire. They fit really nicely together and the case works very well. It took me a little longer than I expected to pair it with my iPhone and figure out the settings, but that all cleared up when I downloaded the app. It works okay for phone calls, but you can only listen through one ear at a time. At least it's pretty easy to switch between the ears. You do lose quite a bit of crispness of sound relative to a listen with my Hiby R6 2020 DAP and the bass is a bit bloomy and slow. It sounds a bit rubbery, but when you are outside, you don't notice it as much. The gain in usability and not having to carry around a second smartphone type device is worth the slight loss in sound quality. I give it a thumbs up.

Dusk plus UTWS3.jpeg

Feb 7, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #7,090 of 12,007
Bumping the quantity of bass will only add bass but not texture. Texture coming from the driver itself. So he probably need to get other IEM for that.

Feb 7, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #7,091 of 12,007
As i said, im happy with the blessing 2s signature, its a good base.
Beside more bass and bass texture, i'd imagine my perfect iem to be a bit less forward sounding, and just a bit less bright.
I mainly listen to hiphop, rap, but occasionally metal and edm, acoustic too.
How less forward sounding you mean? The mid range or the positioning?

Because to me B2 is pretty laid back in terms of positioning. But if you mean the mid is more prominent than the bass & treble, that's understandable

Feb 7, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #7,092 of 12,007
Retuned with greater bass presence. Sounds more balanced and less upper-mids happy than the SSR, which works better for most music. However, I find the SSR to present the most intimate, detailed vocals I've ever come across in its price class and is a good way of getting neutral on a budget.

Bro u should try the HZSound Heart Mirror if you like the SSR kind of signature. Heart Mirror is a neutralish bright set with linear bass, but it isn't shouty in the 3 kHz region, which is an issue with the SSR at louder volumes (Fletcher Munson curve). I really like that the Heart Mirror manages to bring a forward upper mids without veering into shoutiness, which is a very hard line to balance. I do think the HZSound Heart Mirror is much more refined in terms of timbre (instrumental/vocals) and transients and technical performance. Maybe SSR wins in the area of drivability and soundstage, but I do think Heart Mirror beats SSR in the other areas. Heart Mirror needs an amp though, it sounds very meh from a low powered smart phone, but when amped I do think it is an upgrade over the SSR for vocal lovers.

Feb 7, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #7,093 of 12,007
Bro u should try the HZSound Heart Mirror if you like the SSR kind of signature. Heart Mirror is a neutralish bright set with linear bass, but it isn't shouty in the 3 kHz region, which is an issue with the SSR at louder volumes (Fletcher Munson curve). I really like that the Heart Mirror manages to bring a forward upper mids without veering into shoutiness, which is a very hard line to balance. I do think the HZSound Heart Mirror is much more refined in terms of timbre (instrumental/vocals) and transients and technical performance. Maybe SSR wins in the area of drivability and soundstage, but I do think Heart Mirror beats SSR in the other areas. Heart Mirror needs an amp though, it sounds very meh from a low powered smart phone, but when amped I do think it is an upgrade over the SSR for vocal lovers.

I have the Heart Mirror in my March sale list for sure. I'm certainly looking to optimise around the type of music I like to listen to, which is mids-focused and vocals-driven, and hope that the Smabat X1 in vocals mode will impress in this regard :)

Feb 7, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #7,094 of 12,007
I have the Heart Mirror in my March sale list for sure. I'm certainly looking to optimise around the type of music I like to listen to, which is mids-focused and vocals-driven, and hope that the Smabat X1 in vocals mode will impress in this regard :)

Personally, I feel SSR and Heart Mirror are still better in the vocals department than the X1. X1 is a bit too tuned down at the upper mids region, so there is a lack of edge definition/bite in vocals. It's a love it or hate it thing, but for sure it isn't shouty at that area, so pros and cons.

Compared to the SSR and Heart Mirror, X1 is also "midcentric" in the vocal switch, so the bass rolls off quite early compared to the other two.

Look forward to your impressions when u get those sets on board!

Feb 8, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #7,095 of 12,007
How less forward sounding you mean? The mid range or the positioning?

Because to me B2 is pretty laid back in terms of positioning. But if you mean the mid is more prominent than the bass & treble, that's understandable

Yeah i mean the mids sound a bit too forward to me.
Imma get the xelentos from a trade soon, hope it won't be too bright, thats my only concern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back