Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Dec 2, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #6,752 of 11,980
I am extremely interested in the Blessing 2 Dusk, but I am very sensitive to back-pressure discomfort from tightly sealed IEMs. For example, the Sony M7 and M9 are pretty much unusable for me because of this issue.

Can anyone comment on whether or not they have had any back-pressure issues with the regular Blessing 2?

Thanks.

I have that issue also. I need something well-vented or it is too uncomfortable to use for more than 15-20 minutes.

The Moondrop rep, when I asked about what IEMs in the Moondrop line accommodate people who are sensitive to back-presssure, said the Blessing 2 is semi-open and should be tolerable. Hopefully, the Moondrop rep will chime in and give us a definitive answer about the Dusk.

If the Dusk does have the necessary venting, then my dilemma is get the Dusk, the B2, or the FD5? I can only justify and afford one this coming year.

Dec 2, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #6,753 of 11,980
I have that issue also. I need something well-vented or it is too uncomfortable to use for more than 15-20 minutes.

The Moondrop rep, when I asked about what IEMs in the Moondrop line accommodate people who are sensitive to back-presssure, said the Blessing 2 is semi-open and should be tolerable. Hopefully, the Moondrop rep will chime in and give us a definitive answer about the Dusk.

If the Dusk does have the necessary venting, then my dilemma is get the Dusk, the B2, or the FD5? I can only justify and afford one this coming year.
Thanks for the info.

As far as which one of those 3 would be my first pick, that's an easy one for me. While the FD5 looks quite intriguing, I gotta show some love to Crin first! :money_mouth:

Dec 3, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #6,754 of 11,980
Super early TL;DR, it's B2 without BA timbre.
Bit more expanded: tuning is very similar to the B2 but with a bit more upper bass/lower mids; a bit more upper mids; less lower treble. This results in a warmer and smoother sound, not by a whole lot but anyways. I don't have a B2 to compare to anymore, but from memory the stage has less depth but more width. Imaging similar, separation probably a bit better on B2. Timbre and note weight much better on Illumination, subjectively.

The earpieces themselves are beautiful and fit and comfort is good. Cable is weird, it has a very loose braid and is tangly so it feels pretty cheap. I like the changeable connectors though and at least it's not microphonic. Just a strange choice IMO.

Dec 3, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #6,756 of 11,980

It's still similarly vented but maybe slightly different engraving design.
It's gonna have more bass response and a more recessed treble around 3k.

Dec 3, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #6,757 of 11,980
I am extremely interested in the Blessing 2 Dusk, but I am very sensitive to back-pressure discomfort from tightly sealed IEMs. For example, the Sony M7 and M9 are pretty much unusable for me because of this issue.

Can anyone comment on whether or not they have had any back-pressure issues with the regular Blessing 2?

Thanks.
there's a vent on front faceplate of blessing 2 balancing out the pressure(sacrificed some isolation though).

Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
Dec 3, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #6,758 of 11,980
SSP are very good, lol. I like the accentuated mids. Bass is full and extends properly. Comfort and build are basically perfect. Price is excellent. Ignore the hate on these

Agreed completely. What makes it stand apart from all my other experiences with single DD IEMs is that it captures the "snap" of snare drums instead of just giving a vague punchy sound. The sub-bass is tight and visceral, and it does all this without compromising the clean, detailed mids and brilliant treble of the SSR. Of the two, I think the SSP is the one that unleashes the true potential of these drivers and will likely be my go-to recommendation for IEMs under 50 freedom bucks for at least a while.

Dec 3, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #6,759 of 11,980
Bit more expanded: tuning is very similar to the B2 but with a bit more upper bass/lower mids; a bit more upper mids; less lower treble. This results in a warmer and smoother sound, not by a whole lot but anyways. I don't have a B2 to compare to anymore, but from memory the stage has less depth but more width. Imaging similar, separation probably a bit better on B2. Timbre and note weight much better on Illumination, subjectively.

The earpieces themselves are beautiful and fit and comfort is good. Cable is weird, it has a very loose braid and is tangly so it feels pretty cheap. I like the changeable connectors though and at least it's not microphonic. Just a strange choice IMO.
Compared to Oxygen??

Dec 3, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #6,761 of 11,980
It's still similarly vented but maybe slightly different engraving design.
It's gonna have more bass response and a more recessed treble around 3k.

Thank you for clarifying.

Dec 3, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #6,762 of 11,980
9 - z3mnRsb.jpg

Had the Moondrop Illumination for a couple days from the loaner program, some impressions I had:
  • Decent detail retrieval, BUT
  • Notes feel soft and quick, so it gives me a "stingy" feel as compared to TOTL IEMs that clearly enunciates the finer details
  • Decent female vocals that are quite close to the ears
  • Has some soundstage with okay separation, although nothing too special
  • May have some sibilance once volume is turned higher, otherwise not too shouty
  • After initial 30 minutes of listening, began sounding slightly boring
Conclusion: A decently technical IEM that is suited for Asian pop music and does little wrong, but always makes me ache for a bit more. Still has some distance in between against TOTL IEMs such as Andromeda and Z1R.

Dec 4, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #6,763 of 11,980
there's a vent on front faceplate of blessing 2 balancing out the pressure(sacrificed some isolation though).

Oh, now I finally realize why they are so comfortable to me. Even more so than the Stagediver Series.
Been listening everyday to them, I just can't seem to get tired of them. Can't believe I payed under 300€ for them, they tick all the boxes. Huge Soundstage and airy sound, beautiful vocals, very good treble extension for the price. I remember I stepped on my UE900 back then and puff they were gone, won't worry about the B2 with the amazing TOTL build quality.
My only nitpick is that the upper mid can get intense, but 95% of the time I don't mind. They are my endgame, I should quit this forum asap. :beerchug::darthsmile:

Dec 4, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #6,764 of 11,980
Well my SSP's cost me a third of the price of my Starfields and I like them a lot more than the Starfields. In fact I remember being excited a long time ago when I got the Blon 03 and thought how good they were for the money. I feel that way about these SSP's. Amazing sound for the money. Crystal clear, good bass for such a diminutive shell and good details in the treble. Respect to Moondrop....they are quite innovative.
That's Great! I'm interested, any problem with tips coming off due to no lip on the nozzle?

Dec 4, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #6,765 of 11,980
That's Great! I'm interested, any problem with tips coming off due to no lip on the nozzle?
With Spiral Dots, my go to tips, they can easily come off, you have to be a bit careful as you may permanently have an earplug stuck in your ear :disappointed_relieved:. I'm using a narrow stem/bore tip, I don't know where from, and it stays put. I think a Spiral Dot/Sennheiser shaped tip with a narrowish stem/bore would stay put and sound good. Of course stock tips should be fine unless you have a very tight ear fit which holds the tip as you pull it out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back