Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
May 29, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #2,762 of 12,007
:) you are probably right, drop is not what it was anymore and I am not talking about the change of the name.

I thought I will post it anyway as there was some talk about Oxygens here before.

May 29, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #2,763 of 12,007
Are you using stock tips..? They slide out after a little while for me, unlike my KZ AS10(stock tips).

What would you recommend for a budget($0-300) IEM like the KP, without as much treble fatigue, and significantly more bass/fullness/body?

Though the question was not directed (to me), I’d like to recommend Campfire IO at $300. While I know 1st hand the quality of KPE, I share similar difficulties with treble harshness, suboptimal fit, etc. Many ear tips have not remedied for me. They sit in a box now in favor of the IO. I am no audio technician but with quality sources, IO is exceptional. I had DM7 ordered from Amazon and cancelled before ship due to enjoyment of Io. I’m gonna try and be content for awhile. I’ve been IEM searching for ten years without satisfaction til now. Not the final word in audiophilia but damn good!
Oh, and yes: IO is w/o treble harshness and has fine bass.

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #2,764 of 12,007
Though the question was not directed (to me), I’d like to recommend Campfire IO at $300. While I know 1st hand the quality of KPE, I share similar difficulties with treble harshness, suboptimal fit, etc. Many ear tips have not remedied for me. They sit in a box now in favor of the IO. I am no audio technician but with quality sources, IO is exceptional. I had DM7 ordered from Amazon and cancelled before ship due to enjoyment of Io. I’m gonna try and be content for awhile. I’ve been IEM searching for ten years without satisfaction til now. Not the final word in audiophilia but damn good!

But if you read the impressions in the Io thread, it has no bass, recessed mids, shouty mids, grainy treble, curdled treble, leprous treble, bigoted treble that hates progressive agendas and voted for Trump, and a designer who . . . Yea, don’t read the impressions. Io is a beast and an exceptional value at $300. Huge soundstage, excellent imaging, beautiful reproduction of acoustic instruments, and they are dead sexy. Dead ass.

May 30, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #2,765 of 12,007
Word! : )

I've never even heard of the IO lol, but I did get a lot more bass and fullness out of the KP after trying some thicker foam tips. But...they just aren't much of a snug fit still, like my stock AS10's are :/ There must be a better tip for these things, than what I have(Comply, NewBee, and some black foam tips with a hard/smooth outer coating(that sound best)).

May 30, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #2,766 of 12,007
I just finished my review of IO and compared it to the Moondrop Kanas Pro actually in it, and while I don't particularly like the IO, I didn't totally rip on it. It does do a lot things well, but for me, it doesn't do mids well and that is important to me. IO is worth demoing, as it's signature is pretty unique. It does some stuff well and I'll give it that.

Here's my comparison of the two:

The Moondrop Kanas Pro is priced at $179 and one of my favorite IEMs at any price point. The Kanas Pro follows a tuning reminiscent of the Harman IEM Target Curve with slightly less lower-bass elevation. As some may know, the mids of the Harman Curve as a little bit recessed, but I find that the Kanas Pro is still more up front in the mid-range than the IO. The bass elevation is similar on both, but the IO is quicker and has better layering. The Moondrop Kanas Pro detail is similar but may be a tad behind the IO, but the general sound signature is much more coherent across the board. The IO extends treble noticeably better than the Kanas Pro, due to its upper end energy.

IO MKP.jpg

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #2,767 of 12,007
Would like to see IO vs. Oxygen vs. KXXS measurements @ same system on same overlay graph.

May 30, 2019 at 2:51 AM Post #2,768 of 12,007
No, I use Final Audio tips with the Kanas Pro and have not had issues with tips being loose and falling out. I also occasionally use foam tips.

I currently am liking the BGVP DM7 as an alternative to the Moondrop KP. It's more mid-forward, much warmer, and richer in the bass and mids. The treble is equally smooth. Detail level is similar or slightly better. It's more intimate though, much more, than the Kanas Pro, which I find to have a wider soundstage.

I'm currently listening to the BGVP DMS, which is more v-shaped than the KP. It's also has bigger bass. Treble is a tad brighter but also more extended than the Kanas Pro. Mids are dipped a bit, and going back and forth between the two, you can tell quickly it's v-shaped.

I have yet to try it, but I've heard some good things about the Etymotics ER2XR, which is also a single DD.

Hey Antdroid, just wondering what foam tips you think fit the best on the KP and also do not hurt the treble presence and treble extension, or turn the sound muddy or boomy?

Sonically, the only thing I find the KP doing not quite neutral is the 3k region, which to my ears sounds about 3 dB exaggerated, compared to studio monitors or headphones calibrated with Sonarworks.

May 30, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #2,769 of 12,007
Hey Antdroid, just wondering what foam tips you think fit the best on the KP and also do not hurt the treble presence and treble extension, or turn the sound muddy or boomy?

Sonically, the only thing I find the KP doing not quite neutral is the 3k region, which to my ears sounds about 3 dB exaggerated, compared to studio monitors or headphones calibrated with Sonarworks.

I am using final audio tips with my set primarily, but when I do use foam, I end up choosing this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0719M5DJS?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I don't know if that'll help your 3K issue or not.

Another thing you can try is to use a lightweight foam like the earbud cover material or a thin tissue and put it in the tip hole. May help dampen some sound.

May 30, 2019 at 3:09 AM Post #2,770 of 12,007
I am using final audio tips with my set primarily, but when I do use foam, I end up choosing this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0719M5DJS?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I don't know if that'll help your 3K issue or not.

Another thing you can try is to use a lightweight foam like the earbud cover material or a thin tissue and put it in the tip hole. May help dampen some sound.

Thanks, I'll look at those. I also remember you mentioning the NewBee foam tips in your KP review, how do those compare? Do they affect the sound in any way?

May 30, 2019 at 3:12 AM Post #2,771 of 12,007
Thanks, I'll look at those. I also remember you mentioning the NewBee foam tips in your KP review, how do those compare? Do they affect the sound in any way?

They are more or less the same this except the newbee come in a carrying case.

May 30, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #2,772 of 12,007
Ordered the Flare Pro 2 HD. Should have them tomorrow. Lets hope the price difference will be justified in the SQ.

Cheers

May 30, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #2,773 of 12,007

You could try wide-bore-silicone core foams that come with IT01 but I don`t know who makes them and if they are sold separatedly.
Ordered the Flare Pro 2 HD. Should have them tomorrow. Lets hope the price difference will be justified in the SQ.

Cheers
Please compare it to KPE.

May 30, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #2,774 of 12,007
You could try wide-bore-silicone core foams that come with IT01 but I don`t know who makes them and if they are sold separatedly.

Please compare it to KPE.

Will do.

May 30, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #2,775 of 12,007

Users who are viewing this thread

Back