Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Apr 19, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #2,267 of 12,007
Oh nice!!. Thats the best bargain i've seen so far. Thanks! What I'd adore is MMCX adapters but the least ive seen those for is like $100-120
:) I looked for a long time - The one that is pure copper is the only one I saw that looked half descent. I have a feeling a 'pure copper only' cable is important for the ex800

Im really glad you got the ex800 by the way. Its one of those rare IEM's that I I know is something special but there are so many good IEM's around these days that if you say 'this is special' it doesn't necessarily hold as much water as it should!
Anyway, looking forward to hearing about your experiences with it.
I also found the Sony tips to work well with them (blue tube). Ive yet to tip roll some more tips with them

Apr 19, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #2,268 of 12,007
Apr 19, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #2,269 of 12,007
I know, I've looked before and came up with not much! I have a nice Linsoul MMCX cable.. gonna have to get a pair of those adapters.

:) I looked for a long time - The one that is pure copper is the only one I saw that looked half descent. I have a feeling a 'pure copper only' cable is important for the ex800

Im really glad you got the ex800 by the way. Its one of those rare IEM's that I I know is something special but there are so many good IEM's around these days that if you say 'this is special' it doesn't necessarily hold as much water as it should!
Anyway, looking forward to hearing about your experiences with it.
I also found the Sony tips to work well with them (blue tube). Ive yet to tip roll some more tips with them

I've been a Sony fanboy since the 80s actually. The EX1000/800 were on my bucket list for ever so even though I have a bunch of other high end IEMs, I decided it was the time to get a pair.. before they are discontinued or a million headfi'ers figure it out and order a pair. They are on Crinicle's A list and for the price, that is amazing. @Hawaiibadboy said his set are keepers and has modded them and whatnot. Every person that gets them keeps them and I figured there is a very good reason for that. Suffice to say, they are an amazing and special IEM that every audiophile should at the very least hear and probably own for the price which is a goddamn steal!

They have a very analog sound that reminds me of high end loud speakers of the past. There is no hyped OCD details, though there is detail and plenty of it. The mids and bass are ultra rich and the soundstage is outstanding. Just a complete joy to listen to in every sense.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #2,270 of 12,007
I know, I've looked before and came up with not much! I have a nice Linsoul MMCX cable.. gonna have to get a pair of those adapters.

I've been a Sony fanboy since the 80s actually. The EX1000/800 were on my bucket list for ever so even though I have a bunch of other high end IEMs, I decided it was the time to get a pair.. before they are discontinued or a million headfi'ers figure it out and order a pair. They are on Crinicle's A list and for the price, that is amazing. @Hawaiibadboy said his set are keepers and has modded them and whatnot. Every person that gets them keeps them and I figured there is a very good reason for that. Suffice to say, they are an amazing and special IEM that every audiophile should at the very least hear and probably own for the price which is a goddamn steal!

They have a very analog sound that reminds me of high end loud speakers of the past. There is no hyped OCD details, though there is detail and plenty of it. The mids and bass are ultra rich and the soundstage is outstanding. Just a complete joy to listen to in every sense.

Do you prefer them over KPE? Do you rate them higher in general then KPE?

Thanks

Apr 19, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #2,271 of 12,007
I need more time to figure that out. But as of now both are in my good iem box. The KPE has better microdetail than the 800. That much is sure.

I've decided im a huge dynamic driver fan. The coheriency is off the charts with one driver.

Apr 19, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #2,272 of 12,007
That gives me some idea as KPE are not the most detailed piece of gear in the first place. They have health approach to detail retrieval I believe. Too much focus on detail retrieval can be a curse if every other aspect of sound reproduction does not go hand in hand with it.

Thanks for this update.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #2,273 of 12,007
I need more time to figure that out. But as of now both are in my good iem box. The KPE has better microdetail than the 800. That much is sure.

I've decided im a huge dynamic driver fan. The coheriency is off the charts with one driver.
Same... all my favourite iems soo far have been single DD and my latest one tanchjim oxygen is the top of the charts for me. It has this extremely addicting airy signature about it with delicious mids aswell. My only complaint would be at times it sounds too gentle or less exciting.

Btw I am curious to how you find the ex800 mids compared to the kanas pro?

Apr 20, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #2,274 of 12,007
I want to chime in to this discussion about KPE vs EX800, as I own the EX800 and only sold the KPE a short time ago.

In my opinion the KPE have very good resolution in the midrange, but are not as detailed as the EX800.

That may sound contradicting, so I’ll try to explain. The KPE was a revelation to me in terms of presenting the mid range with a lot of detail and texture, in a smooth way, like a photograph with very delicate gradations.
The EX800 is more dynamic, faster, sharper in a sense, emphasizing details of the music, at the cost of the delicate texture. To translate that again into photography, it’s like a stronger sharpening of the image.

Just like different photos need different sharpening to look best, different music benefits from different approaches as well.
A classic landscape photo with many different structures and details benefits from stronger sharpening, stronger contrast and full scale deep black to sparkling highlight presentation.
A baby photo will generally look better with smooth transitions, gentle textures and transitions.

The EX800 is the sharp and contrasty landscape IEM, the KPE is a more romantic interpretation IMO, but with good sparkle and strong sub bass that works well for many types of music.

The EX800 does not work for easy listening for me, it is a little intense for that. I also miss a little sub-bass. My favorite use is instrumental classic music, not too loud, then it brings out all the details with really great dynamics and that large, open soundstage.

For general listening, vocals, EDM, and most Jazz I prefer my modded JVC FD02 which has replaced the KPE and shares the characteristic of a highly resolving, smooth sound with IMO better timbre accuracy, more even frequency response and extended, detailed and silky smooth treble.

They are all really impressive IEMs for the money IMO, and I hope this helps a bit in getting a feeling for their differences (as I hear them)

PS: Of course there are also other differences, but I think these are the most obvious and descriptive ones

Apr 20, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #2,276 of 12,007
Try the tape with a hole in it mod for the 800s. Brings the subbass up right perfect.

I've decided they beat the KPE in mids, but just barely. I dunno how you can get much better mids, this IEM is tuned for vocals imo. If I could change something, it would be to add in some microdetail.. and then I think you have the EX1000.. haha

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #2,277 of 12,007
Guys, I have a question. Do corrupted or badly recorded songs damage iems? like if you are listening to a song at medium to loud volume, and suddenly there is a loud pop in the recoding. Does that pop alter or distort the sound in some way?

Apr 20, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #2,279 of 12,007
I want to chime in to this discussion about KPE vs EX800, as I own the EX800 and only sold the KPE a short time ago.

In my opinion the KPE have very good resolution in the midrange, but are not as detailed as the EX800.

That may sound contradicting, so I’ll try to explain. The KPE was a revelation to me in terms of presenting the mid range with a lot of detail and texture, in a smooth way, like a photograph with very delicate gradations.
The EX800 is more dynamic, faster, sharper in a sense, emphasizing details of the music, at the cost of the delicate texture. To translate that again into photography, it’s like a stronger sharpening of the image.

Just like different photos need different sharpening to look best, different music benefits from different approaches as well.
A classic landscape photo with many different structures and details benefits from stronger sharpening, stronger contrast and full scale deep black to sparkling highlight presentation.
A baby photo will generally look better with smooth transitions, gentle textures and transitions.

The EX800 is the sharp and contrasty landscape IEM, the KPE is a more romantic interpretation IMO, but with good sparkle and strong sub bass that works well for many types of music.

The EX800 does not work for easy listening for me, it is a little intense for that. I also miss a little sub-bass. My favorite use is instrumental classic music, not too loud, then it brings out all the details with really great dynamics and that large, open soundstage.

For general listening, vocals, EDM, and most Jazz I prefer my modded JVC FD02 which has replaced the KPE and shares the characteristic of a highly resolving, smooth sound with IMO better timbre accuracy, more even frequency response and extended, detailed and silky smooth treble.

They are all really impressive IEMs for the money IMO, and I hope this helps a bit in getting a feeling for their differences (as I hear them)

PS: Of course there are also other differences, but I think these are the most obvious and descriptive ones
The main reason I want to get the ex800 is because of the huge stage that it is known for. You should definitely try the tanchjim oxygen with the tanjchim upgrade cable sometime as I personally found it an upgrade on the mids with that smooth and airiness but the kanas pro have this smooth, exciting signature about them which made me keep them in the end aswell as they are too good to sell for me.

From time to time I do enjoy intense signatures but I can't stand thin mids. Do the ex800 have noticeably thicker vocals?

Apr 20, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #2,280 of 12,007
Try the tape with a hole in it mod for the 800s. Brings the subbass up right perfect.

I've decided they beat the KPE in mids, but just barely. I dunno how you can get much better mids, this IEM is tuned for vocals imo. If I could change something, it would be to add in some microdetail.. and then I think you have the EX1000.. haha
Curious as to what way you feel the ex800 has better mids?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back