Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Mar 28, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #10,981 of 12,007
Quick question: Are the Starfield's main housing smaller than the Blessing 2?

I really liked the sound of the Blessing 2s, but the actual body of them was just so large that it hurt my ears and I had to sell them. But the Starfields are on sale and look (from photos) to be smaller in size. Can anyone confirm this? Is the difference slight or fairly substantial?
Starfield is smaller and i would say fairly substantial. I don't think you will have problems with Starfield. You probably know, but Starfield has a different signature and is a step down in sound quality.

Mar 28, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #10,983 of 12,007
Starfield is smaller and i would say fairly substantial. I don't think you will have problems with Starfield. You probably know, but Starfield has a different signature and is a step down in sound quality.
Yeah, I've read up on the difference in sound, but for the price and the fit, I think it should be good for me. I'm still trying to figure out what I like in IEMs, so don't want to spend too much trying out different types.

I've heard that it's warmer than the Blessings 2? I'm good with testing that out :)

Thanks for the response!

Mar 28, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #10,984 of 12,007
My Moondrop Variations experience have been ruined by HiFiGo after sales service.

Currently they are requesting multiple video for a simple DOA cable and takes at least a whole day to reply. I am on day 6 now! With no solutions in sight.

Have anyone dealt with HiFiGo support before? Is it's always like this?
I have now completely given up. Still no resolution in sight for a simple DOA cable.

Ordered a replacement cable from Amazon and really enjoying it, shame about some simple shipping issue (damaged box, DOA cable) is hampering the whole experience.

Currently using it with the SednaEarfit Crystal size: SS as I found the stock tip was about too large. It just about fit the nozzles with a bit of stretching, really helps with the comfort.

Mar 28, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #10,985 of 12,007
Yeah, I've read up on the difference in sound, but for the price and the fit, I think it should be good for me. I'm still trying to figure out what I like in IEMs, so don't want to spend too much trying out different types.

I've heard that it's warmer than the Blessings 2? I'm good with testing that out :)

Thanks for the response!
Yes exactly. It's a bit smoother and warmer with treble roll off. It's absolutely worth 100 USD.

Mar 29, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #10,986 of 12,007
The cable was the very 1st thing I swapped on my Aria! Had a listen with the original cable after the initial burn in for reference though. Also, I didn't like the sound with pure silver cables, preferred the SPC TRI cable over it. Imo the pure silver cable suits something like the Whizzer HE01 better
About a year too late but, care to share the sonic dufferences between the TRI Through & the pure silver cable?

(I already have a nicehck litzps pro hooked to an ssr & was wondering if I should get the same kbear limpid pro for my incoming heart mirror or should I get the tri through instead.)

Mar 29, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #10,987 of 12,007
I have now completely given up. Still no resolution in sight for a simple DOA cable.

Ordered a replacement cable from Amazon and really enjoying it, shame about some simple shipping issue (damaged box, DOA cable) is hampering the whole experience.

Currently using it with the SednaEarfit Crystal size: SS as I found the stock tip was about too large. It just about fit the nozzles with a bit of stretching, really helps with the comfort.
Sorry to hear this happened... Hifigo usually is super easy to deal with - they replaced an IEM with a bad driver for me without too much fuss - just slow to respond due to time difference.

Mar 29, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #10,988 of 12,007
yes the starfiled/aria/kato are considerably smaller. Though it is a far less secure fit in my ears.
This is what I'm finding... Maybe I have large ear canals but small IEMS like Olina, Kato, and Starfield can't stay sealed in my ear because the physical housing just floats there. Dusk and Variations perfect for me.

Mar 29, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #10,989 of 12,007
About a year too late but, care to share the sonic dufferences between the TRI Through & the pure silver cable?

(I already have a nicehck litzps pro hooked to an ssr & was wondering if I should get the same kbear limpid pro for my incoming heart mirror or should I get the tri through instead.)
For me, a silver plated cable (TRI Through) sounds more harsh and less resolving than pure silver, pure copper, or pure graphene cables due to the skin effect which in conjunction with capacitance of the cable can be detrimental to the sound. There are opposite opinions though. But when I changed my cable from a very good silver plated one to the pure silver KBear, I realized that I'm never going back to silver plated cables. I heard such a distinct increased 3-dimensional effect, airyness, and clean bass with pure silver that it became a no brainer for me. I've just ordered another silver cable from NiceHCK.

Here is my experience: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/7hz-impressions-discussion.932274/post-16864767
And this is an alternative view: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/7hz-impressions-discussion.932274/post-16880186

Mar 29, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #10,991 of 12,007
How comfortable and easy to fit are the Variations relative to the Kato?
Completely different.

Variations is larger and fits deeper - it will fill in most ear canals. The nozzle is also kind of hefty (not as wide as the B2/D though)

Kato is smaller physically but shallow fit. It will work for a lot of people but not all (especially not those with larger/wider ear canals). I have relatively deep and wide ear canals so I could wear them for hours without an issue while others might not be able to.

Couldn't get Kato to seal at all even with the largest tips I could find but Variations was near perfect fit for me - the Kato only sounded decent to me if I pressed them into my ears. The moment I let go, they would unseal and sound terrible.

Your mileage WILL vary since it's all a matter of eargonomics. I'm going to guess the Kato will fit more people but you'll have to try them to confirm.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #10,992 of 12,007
Completely different.

Variations is larger and fits deeper - it will fill in most ear canals. The nozzle is also kind of hefty (not as wide as the B2/D though)

[…]

Your mileage WILL vary since it's all a matter of eargonomics. I'm going to guess the Kato will fit more people but you'll have to try them to confirm.

Thanks for the info. Actually, the Kato and its medium Spring Tips are a good fit for me. I was just considering the Variations, along with the ThieAudio Oracles, as an upgrade. I’m tempted, but I’ll probably wait until I can afford the endgame Sennheiser IE600s… probably for Christmas …

Mar 29, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #10,993 of 12,007
Quick question: Are the Starfield's main housing smaller than the Blessing 2?

I really liked the sound of the Blessing 2s, but the actual body of them was just so large that it hurt my ears and I had to sell them. But the Starfields are on sale and look (from photos) to be smaller in size. Can anyone confirm this? Is the difference slight or fairly substantial?
Yes, starfield was smaller(in fact blessing 2 has the largest shell among the products we still sell.)

Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
Mar 29, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #10,994 of 12,007
For me, a silver plated cable (TRI Through) sounds more harsh and less resolving than pure silver, pure copper, or pure graphene cables due to the skin effect which in conjunction with capacitance of the cable can be detrimental to the sound. There are opposite opinions though. But when I changed my cable from a very good silver plated one to the pure silver KBear, I realized that I'm never going back to silver plated cables. I heard such a distinct increased 3-dimensional effect, airyness, and clean bass with pure silver that it became a no brainer for me. I've just ordered another silver cable from NiceHCK.

Here is my experience: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/7hz-impressions-discussion.932274/post-16864767
And this is an alternative view: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/7hz-impressions-discussion.932274/post-16880186
Thanks for the detailed response. Exactly my thoughts too right when I used the ps pro on the ssr. I initially imagined that it might be too sterile but nope. The airiness & extension uptop w/o any sibilance & shoutiness & the flat-out mind boggling pinpoint imaging accuracy was nuts to say the least.

Apologies for the follow-up question though but I must clarify, did the TRI Through had a deeper low-end extension compared to the pure silver?

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back